Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is the Reds' #26 prospect for 2013?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beau Amaral

0 0%
  • Sean Buckley

0 0%
  • Jacob Constante

8 23.53%
  • Carlos Contreras

2 5.88%
  • Tim Crabbe

0 0%
  • Brandon Dailey

0 0%
  • Pedro Diaz

0 0%
  • Juan Duran

1 2.94%
  • Josh Fellhauer

1 2.94%
  • Brodie Greene

0 0%
  • Drew Hayes

1 2.94%
  • Jeremy Kivel

0 0%
  • Chris Manno

1 2.94%
  • Travis Mattair

0 0%
  • Luke Moran

0 0%
  • Jonathan Moscot

0 0%
  • Curtis Partch

0 0%
  • Daniel Paula

0 0%
  • Juan Perez

0 0%
  • Radhames Quezada

0 0%
  • Josh Ravin

0 0%
  • Sal Romano

4 11.76%
  • Gabriel Rosa

1 2.94%
  • Carlos Sanchez

0 0%
  • Steve Selsky

1 2.94%
  • Juan Silva

0 0%
  • Bryson Smith

11 32.35%
  • Pedro Villareal

0 0%
  • Zach Vincej

2 5.88%
  • Other (Please Name)

1 2.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect for 2013?

Who is Redszone's #26 prospect for 2013?

1) Billy Hamilton
    2) Robert Stephenson
    3) Tony Cingrani
    4) Daniel Corcino
    5) Jesse Winker
    6) Nick Travieso
    7) Henry Rodriguez
    8) Ismael Guillon
    9) Yorman Rodriguez
    10) Tanner Rahier
    11) Dan Langfield
    12) Neftali Soto
    13) Donald Lutz
    14) Chad Rogers
    15) Tucker Barnhart
    16) David Vidal
    17) Seth Mejias-Brean
    18) Kyle Lotzkar
    19) Jeff Gelalich
    20) Ryan LaMarre
    21) Jonathan Reynoso
    22) Amir Garrett
    23) Kyle Waldrop
    24) Ryan Wright
    25) Drew Cisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #26 prospect for 2013?

Daniel Paula?

No Josh Smith, Devin Lohman and Mason Felt?? Those 3 need to be put on the list, Daniel Pigott as well.

I am going with Sal Romano here, big projectable SP with a live arm, decent debut in pro ball last year, I expect a big year in 2013. He will only be 19 during all of the 2013 season, he's 6'5 220 lbs..Constante and Moscot could be chosen here as well. Guys like G Rosa, B Greene and Buckley dealt with injuries in 2012, so a healthy 13' campaign will rocket them up the prospect lists again.
    Last edited by Red Swagger; 02-21-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Another spot, another 15-20 guys that could make a legit claim to be here. I am still going with Bryson Smith. He seems pretty safe as a 4th outfielder type who is also close to the Majors. I don't fault anyone who wants to go with upside here, there is still plenty of it left on the list.

Still Costante, then Romano, then Moscot, and then likely offense again for me.

I think those next 3 starters could all rocket up the list with strong seasons in 2013.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Manno for me.

He could be the guy that fills that second lefty in the bullpen role for the Reds down the stretch in 2013.

Well, Cisco was the last guy on my original priority list of 13. So I guess I'm looking to be convinced between Constante, Hayes, Perez, Romano and Bryson Smith. It wouldn't take much. Doug has already done a pretty good job of selling Smith.

(By the way, I think Sanchez was a good add. I'd forgotten all about him. Another good add would be an additional r in Villarreal.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Manno for me.

He could be the guy that fills that second lefty in the bullpen role for the Reds down the stretch in 2013.
    He needs to get better at getting lefties out if he wants to be a lefty down the stretch.

Constante again, but I could probably flip a coin between him, Diaz, and Romano. Don't really know enough about them to differentiate at this point.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I am going with Constante again, too. I love lefties that have fastballs between 92-94 with a potential plus slider and a working change-up. He is a great upside pick.

Double post, sorry
    Last edited by Edd Roush; 02-21-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Smith, then Constante.

Are those voting for Smith concerned about his ability to take a walk? Based on his (lack of) pedigree and inability to take a walk, I just can't value him over Constante.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Are those voting for Smith concerned about his ability to take a walk? Based on his (lack of) pedigree and inability to take a walk, I just can't value him over Constante.
    I am a tad concerned, but I look at him as a safe 4th outfielder, not as a guy expected to start, so that concern doesn't hold as much value.

With a guy like Constante, until he throws in real games against professionals, I just can't put him ahead of guys still on the list. He is a left handed version of Sal Romano right now, but without actual performance, proven big time groundball rates and good peripherals.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Constante and Romano, but I can't see how anyone can vote for Constante over Romano at this point. Stuff is similar, but Romano has actually done it against true minor leaguers, gotten nearly 60% grounders as a teenager in Billings and put up solid walk and K rates. Constante has thrown in practice.

15. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am a tad concerned, but I look at him as a safe 4th outfielder, not as a guy expected to start, so that concern doesn't hold as much value.

With a guy like Constante, until he throws in real games against professionals, I just can't put him ahead of guys still on the list. He is a left handed version of Sal Romano right now, but without actual performance, proven big time groundball rates and good peripherals.

Don't get me wrong, I like both Constante and Romano, but I can't see how anyone can vote for Constante over Romano at this point. Stuff is similar, but Romano has actually done it against true minor leaguers, gotten nearly 60% grounders as a teenager in Billings and put up solid walk and K rates. Constante has thrown in practice.
    Agreed.

I can understand ranking first rounders (or guys who get first round sized bonuses) ahead of experienced minor leaguers based solely on raw talent, but beyond that I want to see them perform against other professionals before I rank them. Constante got third round money after going unsigned as a 16-17-18 year old. It's great that he has matured into a damn good prospect, but I don't view him as an elite prospect who deserves to be ranked over guys who have already proven themselves in the professional ranks.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 02-22-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

How does a potential 4th outfielder have more value than a guy who could be a starting pitcher in the major leagues?

I know the burnout rate is higher for starting pitchers than for outfielders due to an assortment of arm injuries, but isn't that more evidence that you need to stockpile those arms due to the attrition rate?

A guy like Bryson Smith just doesn't seem to have much upside.

As for Constante vs. Romano, how can you compare a 23rd round pitcher who pitched only 64 innings of pro ball poorly to a guy who just got a $700,000 bonus and has a good fastball, potential plus slider and a developing change-up? Doesn't he also get a bump for being a lefty (ie positional scarcity)? I guess Romano's peripherals weren't as bad as his ERA, but certainly 64 innings of a 5.32 ERA in rookie ball doesn't count as a significant experience advantage for Romano.

I think we are really missing the boat with our rankings of Constante and Reynoso on our prospect list.

Turn Off Ads?