Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Article: Player comparisons for Billy Hamilton

Article: Player comparisons for Billy Hamilton

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ally-fast-guys

David Schoenfield has done a piece comparing Hamilton to prior speedsters. (It was fun hearing Jeff Stone's name after so many years.)

So who is Billy Hamilton? His minor league résumé so far is more impressive than Coleman or Otis Nixon or Wilson (or Esix Snead!), less impressive than Dykstra or Henderson or Raines. As long as Hamilton stays within himself, draws his walks, hits the ball on the ground and hustles out his doubles and triples, he should develop into a better player than Coleman. I think the upside here is the young Wilson, who learned to hit at the major league level. Wilson had the advantage back then of playing on turf, so I don't know if Hamilton will contend for batting titles, but he's not just a speed guy. He can play baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Article: Player comparisons for Billy Hamilton

Another comp I like is Alan Wiggins, who stole 120 bases in the Cal League one year. In fact, one could say that Hamilton's career will show us what Alan's would have been had it not been derailed by substance abuse issues.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Hamilton's got more power than Wiggins. Wiggins never slugged higher than he obp'ed, if you can believe it.

That's some seriously poor power.

My (not so) secret dream comp for Hamilton is Brett Butler. I'd gladly take Rafael Furcal, too, but with more speed. Early career Tim Raines would also be great. (Though, as the article suggests, that's likely not going to happen.)

I've said before that I think Willie Wilson is the perfect upside comp. Jeff Stone is probably a worst case.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Juan Pierre without the confusing Coors Field years. Nothing wrong with that comp either
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Juan Pierre without the confusing Coors Field years. Nothing wrong with that comp either
    Hamilton has a better arm. Hamilton has better power. Pierre has elite contact skills. Hamilton has iffy contact skills (at least for now). Pierre is an aggressive hitter. Hamilton is more patient.

Not sure they are too similar.

Turn Off Ads?