Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If the Reds decided to trade Chapman for equal value before April 1

If the Reds decided to trade Chapman for equal value before April 1

1) Which team is likely to give equal value in return?
    2) What players would be involved?
    3) If the Marlins were the only team interested,
    what players involved that fit the Reds future needs/plans?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the Reds decided to trade Chapman for equal value before April 1

Are we basing equal value on Chapman as a lights out closer, or a potential top of the rotation ace?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I would trade him straight up for Giancarlo Stanton without taking one second to think about it.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I would trade him straight up for Giancarlo Stanton without taking one second to think about it.
    Prepare to be disappointed.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I love a good RZ brouhaha much as the next guy. But I don't think I can go through yet another Chapman vs Stanton/Pitching vs Hitting discussion. Surely there is another scandalous topic to get us through the next few weeks.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-18-2013),Drugs Delaney (02-17-2013),mdccclxix (02-18-2013),RedEye (02-17-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (02-18-2013),Tom Servo (02-20-2013),wheels (02-20-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, the Marlins have a strong Cuban fan base. Chapman would be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed.
    Oh I have no doubt that this is extremely unrealistic. It's a pipe dream. I wasn't saying it's likely. I think the Reds have invested too much time and money into Chapman's development to walk away now. I think the guy would bring back a ton though, and if I were in Cincy's shoes I'd at least consider it, which I don't think they will.

We have a very very good major league team. If the Reds want to move Chapman, I would find a team with an extremely strong farm system and take as much as possible from it.

For a Level Playing Field

I think the guy would bring back a ton though, and if I were in Cincy's shoes I'd at least consider it, which I don't think they will.
    Jim Bowden would have done it. He loved hitters and especially ones that might get invited to the HR Derby. Didn't care much for good arms... they are never considered 5-tool players.

Someone remind me how many playoff appearances our fav team had when the afore-mentioned mindset ruled the day. I am pretty sure there have been two post-season appearances in the last three years. And what do we think made the difference on the 2010 and 2012 teams? And Stanton's offensive production did what for the Miami team last season? Yes, he is very impressive; however, where did that get the Marlins? About the same place Dunn's 40 HRs, 100 RBI, .390 OBP, 100+ BBs and 100 runs got the REDS.

I transcend race, hombre LaFlamaBlanca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Jim Bowden would have done it. He loved hitters and especially ones that might get invited to the HR Derby. Didn't care much for good arms... they are never considered 5-tool players.

Someone remind me how many playoff appearances our fav team had when the afore-mentioned mindset ruled the day. I am pretty sure there have been two post-season appearances in the last three years. And what do we think made the difference on the 2010 and 2012 teams? And Stanton's offensive production did what for the Miami team last season? Yes, he is very impressive; however, where did that get the Marlins? About the same place Dunn's 40 HRs, 100 RBI, .390 OBP, 100+ BBs and 100 runs got the REDS.
    Jim Bowden would've liked Giancarlo Stanton, and we've made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years since ditching Bowden, ergo, Stanton would make us start missing the playoffs again.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

I agree that pitching wins. I'm simply not convinced that Chapman is worth the risk. It's an individual case. Stanton isn't just any big bopper, he's arguably the best pure slugger in the game. Chapman is an enigma. Maybe he's a top 5 pitcher in the game. Maybe he self-destructs and flames out early. I'd rather have the guy that's going to play every single day, and isn't as much of a risk, yet still a superstar.

Haven't we already debated this topic over and over?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

15. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-20-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

There is zero chance that the Reds will trade Chapman before April 1.

May as well talk about the value of Votto. Or Latos. Or Frank Robinson for what it matters.

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-20-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Of course you would and I would ... and Walt would. The problem?

The Marlins wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well, the Marlins have a strong Cuban fan base. Chapman would be a good starting point.
    If you read the article in the other Chapman thread, he is not a folk hero, but a polarizing figure in the Cuban community right now because of incidents just prior to his final defection. With that in mind, the way the Marlins have been making enemies down there, it might be a move they'd make.
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?