Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Face of MLB

Face of MLB

MLB Network is holding a tournament of 30 players to become the "Face of MLB" and it's down to the "Elite 8", including our Joey Votto. right now, Votto has a 64% to 36% advantage over Derek Jeter. i think the voting ends at 6:30 this morning (i think he's got this round in the book barring some gosh darn hacker), and if he advances, he'll be up against McCutchen in the final four. i'm not sure what will happen if he wins the tournament but hey, i like seeing the Reds win stuff. big or little.

here's the bracket - http://mlbnetwork.mlb.com/network/pr.../faceofmlb.jsp
    Last edited by Spider Tre; 02-21-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Face of MLB

I'm kind of surprised anyone could beat Jeter in something like this. Yankees fans must be taking a nap. Although some of these do seem odd. How could Posey lose to Miguel Montero?

i guess we got some passionate fans out there Dallas Latos has been promoting this out the ying-yang. i think some local radio stations such as WEBN and WLW have promoted this too

i guess the same thing's been happening in Arizona too because Montero beat Utley and Posey and only lost by a small margin to Heyward.
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

I have been voting on this-which is odd for me, I normally dont care a bit about these type of deals.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Does this mean that Joey has to get "MLB" tattooed on his cheek? In that case, we might not want to root for him to win.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm shocked I didn't get put into Twitter jail yesterday for the amounts of tweets and retweets I sent out yesterday! I must have spread them around enough to avoid it, LOL

Did we find out if Joey won yet? He was still leading early this morning but the website doesn't appear to be updated yet.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

They were supposed to announce at 9:00, but I havent seen anything yet.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    They were supposed to announce at 9:00, but I havent seen anything yet.
    They have to make up time to rig it so Jeter wins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Votto wins it, they just said so on MLB Network. Down goes Jetaah!
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

11. Likes:

JB12 (02-21-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Agree with every team's pick except Washington and Cleveland. Harper and Cabrera are worthier candidates.
    Last edited by Ohayou; 02-21-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Agree with every team's pick except Washington and Cleveland. Harper and Cabrera are worthier candidates.
    Zimmerman is still the best third baseball in the league (or at least close to it) and has the monster contract so you can't argue with his nomination for WAS. Cabrera definitely had a great season last year as well but it is interesting that even with picking Kipnis, we "won" his first two match ups.

I tried to look into this last week of what the winner of this contest gets and from what I could come up with through searching the internet, there really isn't a prize. My guess would be that the winner's picture would be prominently placed on the MLB.com website or something for the season, but i guess we will just have to wait and see what happens after Joey wins it!

The best part of the contest was yesterday with all of the #JoeyVotto myths going around through Twitter similar to the statements people used to make about Chuck Norris. Some examples:
    "#JoeyVotto is allowed to rebroadcast games without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball" - @CatLatos
    "Nobody puts #JoeyVotto in the corner" - @Jamieblog
    "The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price." -Vince Lombardi

Some of my faves from yesterday....

@RedsTixLiz When #JoeyVotto watches Titanic, Leonardo Dicaprio lives at the end
    @RedsTixLiz When #JoeyVotto hits the snooze button, his alarm clock apologizes for waking him up
    @CatLatos #JoeyVotto is so sexy Justin Timberlake brought him back five times
    @CatLatos #JoeyVotto once got the leadoff batter to hit into a double play
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Double post. Sorry!

Some of my faves from yesterday....

@RedsTixLiz When #JoeyVotto watches Titanic, Leonardo Dicaprio lives at the end
    @RedsTixLiz When #JoeyVotto hits the snooze button, his alarm clock apologizes for waking him up
    @CatLatos #JoeyVotto is so sexy Justin Timberlake brought him back five times
    @CatLatos #JoeyVotto once got the leadoff batter to hit into a double play

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Zimmerman is still the best third baseball in the league (or at least close to it) and has the monster contract so you can't argue with his nomination for WAS.
    He may have the better stats/bigger contract, but he's still not the face of the franchise. Harper and Strasburg are, and there's no denying that.

I will admit, he's the best at his position in the NL (unless Headley repeats last year), but not the entire league. Cabrera, Beltre, and Longoria are all better.

Quote Originally Posted by nheath22 View Post
    Cabrera definitely had a great season last year as well but it is interesting that even with picking Kipnis, we "won" his first two match ups.
    Cabrera went on a power surge in 2011 and has consistently been one the Top 3-5 shortstops in the AL when healthy. I'm not sure how Kipnis got in over him, or how he beat out Cespedes AND Kinsler. Curse you, Twitter!
    Last edited by Ohayou; 02-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?