Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Site Sluggishness

Re: Site Sluggishness

It doesn't sound like we had any problems yesterday, so I re-enabled the addon that tracks guests visits. This definitely could affect the server load, so please post here ASAP if you have any more problems. We only have three more addons to go after tonight.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was at the game, but based on the lack of responses, I'm assuming we didn't have any problems. We're down to three addons left to re-enable to try to figure out which one(s) was causing the problem. All of these are potentially very server intensive, so I've purposely saved them for last; as a result, please post here immediately if you notice any problems. I started with the "like" feature.

Now that the "like" addon has been re-enabled, I'm seeing some errors behind the scenes I haven't seen since the addons were all enabled. I'll leave it on for now, but please post here or PM me if and when you notice any problems during tonight's game.

You'll take my "like" button from my cold dead hands!

Unless anyone else noticed anything to the contrary, re-enabling the "like" functionality did not cause any problems, so unless that changes by tomorrow morning, I'll re-enable one of the final two addons ("Who has Read a Thread").

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Unless anyone else noticed anything to the contrary, re-enabling the "like" functionality did not cause any problems, so unless that changes by tomorrow morning, I'll re-enable one of the final two addons ("Who has Read a Thread").
    I did notice a loading problem just once during the game. But I was on my phone and it may or may not have been my connection and not the site.

FYI.

Thanks...please continue to keep me posted either way.

I have re-enabled this functionality, so if all goes well, that leaves only one more. The problem has to be with one or more of these because when I disabled all of them, we stopped having performance problems.

I have re-enabled this functionality, so if all goes well, that leaves only one more. The problem has to be with one or more of these because when I disabled all of them, we stopped having performance problems.
    That assumes 1+1=2

Well, we seemed to make it through all the games without issues with all addons re-enabled with the exception of "live topic"; it's the addon that will automatically display very recent posts within a thread the user is viewing without requiring a refresh (through ajax). I have re-enabled it, and if any of the addons would cause a problem, I'd suspect it would be that one due to the extremely fast-paced nature of the game threads, but if we don't have any problems tomorrow with everything re-enabled, I'll be happy on one hand, but on the other, I'll have no confidence the problems will be gone since a root cause could not be identified.

Please let me know right away (either here or via PM) if you have any issues now that all addons have been turned back on.

Things are noticeably slower, at least on my end, with "live topic" enabled, and the server load is higher than it has been during previous games. I'm going to disable it and see what happens.

I didn't notice any issues (yet). Was wondering why it seemed to stop updating. Now I know.
    Is it "next season" yet?

I'm not 100% sure yet, but it appears that addon is the one responsible for the server overload (which lead to sluggishness and outages). If so, I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it functions by constantly looking to refresh two high volume threads (the game threads) that have a lot of users viewing and posting during games.

I've re-enabled the options to show who's viewing the site, a forum or a thread. If this bogs down performance, I'll have to turn them back on, but we'll give them a try.

I don't know about anyone else, but that noticeably slowed things down on my end, so I've disabled those options for good.

Turn Off Ads?