Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Employee in Need of Bone Marrow Transplant

Reds Employee in Need of Bone Marrow Transplant

All,

An anonymous member asked if I would post this, and I told him/her I'd be happy to do so.

Redszone Family,

I’m requesting your help for a friend of mine that I work with. Chris Herrell is a sales manager with the Reds, and he has been diagnosed with a rare form of blood cancer called Myelodysplastic Syndrome. The only cure is a bone marrow transplant from a tissue match. Right now, no one in the database of over 10 million people matches Chris.

Tomorrow (Friday) morning at the Reds Hall of Fame, there is a drive hosted for Chris to find a match. Getting tested is easy and pain/needle FREE. All you have to do is swab the inside of your cheek with a kit they provide.

Chris is a father of three, 8 and 2 year old boys, and 5 month old girl they recently adopted. He’s only 39 years old and he needs our help desperately.

Here is a short excerpt from his wife’s recent journal entry on Wednesday night:

“Major changes today. Chris’s counts have crashed. He has the lowest numbers we have ever seen. We had our long transplant meeting with (the Doctor) and the coordinator this afternoon. They have updated Chris’s status in the registry to critical. We are moving to transplant with a less than perfect match. They are concerned he is moving to the devastating form of leukemia we have worried about and we cannot wait any more. The registries are urgently searching for those potential matches that have not responded. They are calling donor family members, they are trying new phone numbers, they are reaching out any possible way they can to try to find them.“

His story and drive information is linked below:

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_...e-marrow-match

I thank everyone for their help in a time of serious need.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Employee in Need of Marrow Transplant

This is what Robin Roberts had. I encourage everyone to get registered even if it can't help this guy. I have a cousin who's about 5 yrs removed from this and doing OK.

Re: Reds Employee in Need of Marrow Transplant

Just to iterate, the kit is free and super easy. Coincidentally, I ordered one a couple days ago for someone else in need of a transplant.

Re: Reds Employee in Need of Bone Marrow Transplant

Chris was just on with Mo Egger.

Mo said The Holy Grail at the Banks is giving away a free beer if you register! I'm definitely going (regardless of the beer).

I hope the weather doesn't stop many people, this is too important!

Anyway for people outside of Cincinnati to take part?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Anyway for people outside of Cincinnati to take part?
    www.bethematch.org

8. Likes:

Krawhitham (02-23-2013),Plus Plus (02-21-2013),texasdave (02-21-2013),The Operator (02-23-2013)

Just registered to have the kit mailed to me- it takes about 5 minutes, and is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I' over 44 (not even close ). Anyone know the cut off is age 44?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    They have an FAQ section. They don't state why though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Though i am not local, i went ahead and registered. My kit will arrive in about two weeks, and from what I have read, will be too late to really help, but maybe i'll be a match for someone else.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Though i am not local, i went ahead and registered. My kit will arrive in about two weeks, and from what I have read, will be too late to really help, but maybe i'll be a match for someone else.
    I don't think it will be necessarily. It still takes about a month to prep him for the transplant according to one of articles I've seen.

Also, here is a link to Chris's Be The Match page:

http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/...40&pg=personal

I am unable to go today, but just registered online, which takes no time. I'm guessing (and I'm certainly not a medical professional so don't take my word for it) that the over 44 thing is because removing some marrow will weaken your immune system, that's my guess anyway.

Thank you for posting this

I am unable to give because I have Multiple Sclerosis which makes me ineligible to donate blood, marrow and many tissues. I really wish I could participate and hope they find a match.

17. Likes:

remdog (02-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    The likelihood that the recipient rejects the marrow is much greater if the donor is over 44.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Turn Off Ads?