Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati.com Reds News is no longer free?!

Cincinnati.com Reds News is no longer free?!

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but if you visit http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/as frequently as I do, this may come as a bit of a surprise. You can view a few articles at first, then a pop up about subscription shows up. It is $10 a month for online access. Is that a little steep to anyone else? Maybe the paper is really hurting. Kind of bummed, but I guess I will live through the twitter feeds and here from now on!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cincinnati.com Reds News is no longer free?!

Only ten dollars a month? That's a bargain if you ask me. John Fay writes some of those articles.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

4. Likes:

cincy09 (02-22-2013),Ghosts of 1990 (02-22-2013),HatchMo (02-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    Only ten dollars a month? That's a bargain if you ask me. John Fay writes some of those articles.
    Funny joke?

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2013)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    He even spells *some* words right in them!

I will say, as mediocre (at best) as Fay is, I get more info from him than Mark Sheldon, who is the definition of "mailing it in." Also, it's hilarious that Sheldon never gets scoops. Geoff Hobson gets scoops about the Bengals quite often. Not the same for Sheldon.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Didn't check anything out during the offseason did ya? This has been in action for several months now.

Here is a trick: User different web browsers. Use your phone at times for some. Use your tablet if you have one.

You don't need to do all of that. Go to "tools" on your screen, click on "inprivate browsing". Done. You can then look at as many articles as you want for free.

A new screen will popup, you are now in private mode. Put in cincinnati.com in your browser.

10. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (02-21-2013)

I love when sites try to get slick like this and use extremely basic enforcement technology. If you're going to do it, do it right or get out.

Yeah this won't be hard to get around at all. It has basically added another popup, and that is it.

You can view as many articles on your phone as you want. On my computer I always get a pop up saying you have a limited amount of views over the next few days. Then after reading some articles one will come up saying you must purchase to proceed. Then I get back on the next day and i can read them again

There's even some nifty tips in there about clearing out your cache. Let's just say that the Enquirer's pay wall is on par with its editing.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

16. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If you’re not being charged, then you’re the product.

Nothing is really free.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If you’re not being charged, then you’re the product.

Nothing is really free.
    The thing is, The Enquirer added a paywall and ramped up their onsite advertising. So those who pay are both the customer and the product.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The thing is, The Enquirer added a paywall and ramped up their onsite advertising. So those who pay are both the customer and the product.
    Ad-blockers. Not only do they make websites work better and quicker, they also keep you free from a lot of malware/virus things you may otherwise run into.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    You don't need to do all of that. Go to "tools" on your screen, click on "inprivate browsing". Done. You can then look at as many articles as you want for free.

A new screen will popup, you are now in private mode. Put in cincinnati.com in your browser.
    On the Chrome browser, that is called using an Incognito Window. You can open individual links to articles in an incognito window by choosing that option after a right-click.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?