Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 131

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

  1. #16
    a Red in Yankeetown elfmanvt07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    For me, the problem with the WBC is that winning is a pretty meaningless thing. I could give a flip if the US wins or not. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue that mlb isn't the best baseball in the world.

    Therefore the WBC is actually less compelling than spring training games which actually may factor in shaping your team's roster.
    Not saying you're wrong, but I'm willing to bet the English spoke a similar refrain in the early days of the World Cup.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

    I look like a banker in this...

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,645

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but I'm willing to bet the English spoke a similar refrain in the early days of the World Cup.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong because it's largely a matter of opinion. But at this point, the WBC has a long, long road to travel before it's relevant enough to capture my attention.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  4. #18
    Member blumj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Northern MA
    Posts
    4,600

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    I enjoy the WBC, I do get caught up in the competition, and I like seeing position players on my favorite team participate in it. But I don't particularly like seeing pitchers on my favorite team participating in it, the injury risk to pitchers does concern me.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

  5. #19
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,254

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but I'm willing to bet the English spoke a similar refrain in the early days of the World Cup.
    England and the other so-called "Home Nations" (Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) refused to participate in the World Cup until 1950. Although they were members of FIFA in the early years, they withdrew after World War I and didn't return until after World War II. Wikipedia attributes this to either the British Football Associations refusing to reestablish ties with former enemies or a dispute over the definition of "professional" players used in Olympic Competitions, which I believe is erroneous. I seem to recall from one book I read that the main tension between FIFA and the Home Nations really stemmed from the feeling among the Associations of the Home Nations that, as the "inventors" of modern Association Football, they should hold more sway in how things were run. In fact, until 1950, many in Great Britain viewed the winner of the British Home Championship to be the true "World Champions" and that the National Teams playing in the World Cup were inferior.

    In a way, it's very similar to how many Americans view the WBC today. Whether that view will be the same in 50-100 years, I don't know? As baseball grows in popularity in Asia and Europe, I could definitely see a future in which some of these leagues decided to bump up their level of play with backing from Middle Eastern financiers. If they could get over history and politics, I don't think it's crazy to imagine the Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese, with help from Persian Gulf-based backers and Russian Oligarchs, banding together to form an Asian Major League to compete on the level with MLB. Who knows with Europe? Baseball could take off like wildfire or fizzle out. However, based on the experience the Home Nations had in International Soccer, I think it's better for MLB and the US to embrace and encourage the global growth of the game rather than keep to itself and let others take the lead.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  6. #20
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,368

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but I'm willing to bet the English spoke a similar refrain in the early days of the World Cup.
    Perhaps but they also had a closed league that didn't welcome all the of the worlds great players. MLB doesn't have that issue. England may have thought they were giving the world the best performances in the game... MLB is already doing that with all the best players

  7. #21
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    For me, the problem with the WBC is that winning is a pretty meaningless thing. I could give a flip if the US wins or not. Nobody in their right mind is going to argue that mlb isn't the best baseball in the world.

    Therefore the WBC is actually less compelling than spring training games which actually may factor in shaping your team's roster.
    Well said.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  8. #22
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,232

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    I'm looking forward to it. It's pretty much the only international option anymore since they took baseball out of the Olympics (which really ticked me off). I also like that they're putting more restrictions in place for pitchers/managers.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  9. #23
    Member RadfordVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    917

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    For me, the problem with the WBC is that winning is a pretty meaningless thing.

    Couldn't the same thing be said of any championship? All sports are ultimately meaningless I guess. I don't understand what winning the World Series means that a WBC doesn't. It means that team accomplished their ultimate goal.

  10. #24
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,605

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Couldn't the same thing be said of any championship? All sports are ultimately meaningless I guess. I don't understand what winning the World Series means that a WBC doesn't. It means that team accomplished their ultimate goal.
    OK, then set up a poll and ask people to name the last five WS winners and each of the WBC Champions and see what happens. Personally, I don't think I've watched one WBC game, maybe part of one and YAWN, but I watch hundreds of MLB games every year. And I have watched most World Series over the last 40 years because I and millions others care who wins. The WBC, probably the players playing care, that's fair, but the multitudes? Entertainment with some element of national pride.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  11. #25
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,281

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    But the audience is still somewhat closed. And MLB isn't getting the best players, just the best available players. Mexico and Japan both have systems that prevent their best players from joining US teams until either late in their careers or with the posting of huge fees. Baseball is expanding into so many countries, and with a billion plus in china to pull talent from, how long before Asia starts to if not dominate the player pool, certainly they can see a larger percentage. 20 years? maybe 30?

    This was going to happen, and it will likely gain popularity around the world, once people in these countries realize the economic gain to be had. To say the best players are here is true, but it is also short sighted. Expansion on a global scale will happen. Leagues with talent equivalent to MLB is just a matter of time.
    Last edited by TRF; 02-28-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  12. #26
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,368

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    But the audience is still somewhat closed. And MLB isn't getting the best players, just the best available players. Mexico and Japan both have systems that prevent their best players from joining US teams until either late in their careers or with the posting of huge fees. Baseball is expanding into so many countries, and with a billion plus in china to pull talent from, how long before Asia starts to if not dominate the player pool, certainly they can see a larger percentage. 20 years? maybe 30?

    This was going to happen, and it will likely gain popularity around the world, once people in these countries realize the economic gain to be had. To say the best players are here is true, but it is also short sighted. Expansion on a global scale will happen. Leagues with talent equivalent to MLB is just a matter of time.

    Cue the Spalding World Tour refresher.

    http://dmbworldseriesreplay.wordpres...tour-18881889/

  13. #27
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,281

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Because something that happened 125 years ago is relevant today? Sure, sometimes it is.

    60 years ago every team was traveling by train. Now, none do that. The Pirates fly to play the Phillies. The Reds Fly to play the Indians. I bet the Dodgers fly to play the Padres.

    Is it really so hard to see suborbital flights to Asia that take under 3 hours in the next 50-60 years? If so, Is it really so hard to see MLB as a global entity, With divisions in Europe and Asia, perhaps even Africa and South America? We have one team in Canada, used to have two. Is it so hard to imagine a franchise in Mexico City? Not tomorrow, maybe not in ten years, but it WILL happen. Because it has to. Because you just know this has been discussed, and will continue to be discussed by MLB brass.

    The NFL has almost zero appeal outside the U.S. The NBA does better, with European leagues. But baseball, that's the U.S. sport with global appeal. Maybe Hockey is on a par with it around the world, but mostly just Europe. And hell, Hockey ain't that popular here.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  14. #28
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,368

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Because something that happened 125 years ago is relevant today? Sure, sometimes it is.

    60 years ago every team was traveling by train. Now, none do that. The Pirates fly to play the Phillies. The Reds Fly to play the Indians. I bet the Dodgers fly to play the Padres.

    Is it really so hard to see suborbital flights to Asia that take under 3 hours in the next 50-60 years? If so, Is it really so hard to see MLB as a global entity, With divisions in Europe and Asia, perhaps even Africa and South America? We have one team in Canada, used to have two. Is it so hard to imagine a franchise in Mexico City? Not tomorrow, maybe not in ten years, but it WILL happen. Because it has to. Because you just know this has been discussed, and will continue to be discussed by MLB brass.

    The NFL has almost zero appeal outside the U.S. The NBA does better, with European leagues. But baseball, that's the U.S. sport with global appeal. Maybe Hockey is on a par with it around the world, but mostly just Europe. And hell, Hockey ain't that popular here.
    Yet they play a game in the UK every year.

    As for world travel and a world league... I say pipe dream

  15. #29
    a Red in Yankeetown elfmanvt07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    339

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yet they play a game in the UK every year.

    As for world travel and a world league... I say pipe dream
    And Dan Okrent thought he could make money off of Rotisserie Baseball. Up-to-date instant baseball stats delivered electronically was a pipe dream.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

    I look like a banker in this...

  16. #30
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    42,368

    Re: In Defense of the WBC

    Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    And Dan Okrent thought he could make money off of Rotisserie Baseball. Up-to-date instant baseball stats delivered electronically was a pipe dream.
    Apples and Frog Eggs


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25