Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: In Defense of the WBC

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Oh my goodness, that fight was nuts! Count me as another who is VERY thankful that Joey stayed out of it (he seemed to be alternately watching out for and checking on his teammates to make sure everyone was okay). I guess the players do care about these games!
    This isn't directed at you, but more of the media who continues to harp that "the players care, look at how they react".

Of course those players care. When "we" say they don't care, "we" are talking about the ones who chose not to play, who are among the best players in the entire game and make the entire thing a little less enticing to watch.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The key is, if it doesn't reach your standards, don't turn it on. There are plenty of other choices this time of year.

4. Likes:

jimbo (03-10-2013),RadfordVA (03-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    They need to change the format to discincentivize running up the score. Also, that Robinson guy was nuts the whole game with his take-out slides at second. His bunt in the 9th was just the tip of the iceberg. There's so much talk about trying to protect catchers from home plate collisions, but I'm convinced we're going to see a compound fracture of some 2nd baseman's leg before we see the next Posey-like injury at the plate. Matt Holliday, Matt Kemp or some big dude like that is going to break a Marco Scutaro or Darwin Barney into two pieces.

Alternatively, players could accept what's going on and why and react like grown ups.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Of course those players care. When "we" say they don't care, "we" are talking about the ones who chose not to play, who are among the best players in the entire game and make the entire thing a little less enticing to watch.
    Who chose not to play because they didn't care? Seems like all the players I've seen on twitter and interviews are into it. Seen a lot of them tweeting about watching it last night. Takes a lot to get athletes to watch games they are not in. Trout was in attendance. The only issue is with pitchers who didn't want to start their season earlier than usual and feared not being sharp enough. As previously stated why the need for some people to bash, just watch spring training games if that's what you prefer.

7. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Who chose not to play because they didn't care? Seems like all the players I've seen on twitter and interviews are into it. Seen a lot of them tweeting about watching it last night. Takes a lot to get athletes to watch games they are not in. Trout was in attendance. The only issue is with pitchers who didn't want to start their season earlier than usual and feared not being sharp enough. As previously stated why the need for some people to bash, just watch spring training games if that's what you prefer.
    Right there tells you all you need to know. Mike Trout isn't playing. Why? Justin Verlander isn't playing. Cole Hamels isn't playing. Prince Fielder isn't playing. Those guys are among the best in the world, much less this country. They aren't playing. It would be much more exciting if they were.

If the Reds lose today they could well be forced to qualify for the tournament next time. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If the Reds lose today they could well be forced to qualify for the tournament next time. LOL.
    The Reds?!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I think Cuba doesn't have to qualify.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Votto now with a single and two walks in four plate appearances today.

5-3 USA, bottom 8.

Votto crosses the plate to make it 5-4 USA.

Damn you Brandon Phillips!!!

Phillips just saved the game (for now) with a diving play to save a run and get an out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

And another nice play by Phillips to end the inning. He's flashed the glove all tourney so far.

And Phillips just hit a leadoff double in the 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

DatDude scores. 6-4.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?