Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

Re: In Defense of the WBC

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It took me a while, but I finally came to the realization that the WBC is not about competition. It's not meant to be the Olympics or even the World Cup. There is no real presumption of competitiveness underlying it from those who created it. Rather, it's merely a global marketing opportunity for the sport that leverages the power of nationalism. It's about spurring interest in Brazil, in China and in mainland Europe.

Perhaps someday there will be something closer to a world cup feel to the event. But as it stands, there's no need to seek purity and takes steps to make it somehow a higher level of competition with higher standards. Not suspending players doesn't really create some terrible incentive to act poorly and suspending them would simply lower interest in the event.
    The WBC isn't about competition rather about growing the game in certain countries. I get that and understand that. For competitions sake I would rather them create geographic teams and allow certain countries to opt out. I would like to see them have all of Europe play under one flag. Let Japan opt out but combine several of the other countries and create an "Asia" team. Same can be said about South America. Let countries like Venezuela, Columbia or whomever opt out, but combine the rest with Brazil.

I get the feeling that most WBC teams want to take out the USA. They are largely considered the best and its always fun to beat the best. But when it becomes, lets beat the best by using some of the bests players. To my knowledge in soccer, once you declare to one country you are bound to play for that county's national team in FIFA events. For example ARod, once he plays in the first one for the USA he is bound to play each subsequent one for the USA.

For competitions sake I think anyone who follows the WBC would like to see a Final 4 of USA, Japan, Dominican Republic then either a Puerto Rico or Venezuela. I would do my best to make the teams match up so you got that level of competition in the later rounds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tonight on MLB Network:
    8:00 p.m. est. World Baseball Classic Live
    Puerto Rico vs. United States from Marlins Park in Miami
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Italy already leads the Dominican Republic 4-0 after 1 1/2 innings. Volquez is getting roughed up.

I know how we've discussed players' excitement or lack thereof for this tournament. It's easy to say they care when watching, because these are the guys that chose TO play. We are questioning the ones that chose not to.

With that being said, in 4.5 years of being a Red, and 4.5 since of being a Blue Jay, I have NEVER seen emotion out of Edwin Encarnacion like we are seeing here in this 6th inning. It's really nice to see, except when you think back to the people saying he looked like he didn't care as a Red.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Tied, and another exciting game, even the one this morning that looked like it was going to be a blowout ended up getting close later. It's just fun, last night I put MLBN on and was really disappointed there was just a spring training game on.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Eric Hosmer had an OPS of .663 in 2012. He is batting 6th tonight.
    Giancarlo Stanton had a SLG of .608 in 2012. He is batting 8th tonight.

What is wrong with managers? Why do they make this so difficult?!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Eric Hosmer had an OPS of .663 in 2012. He is batting 6th tonight.
    Giancarlo Stanton had a SLG of .608 in 2012. He is batting 8th tonight.

What is wrong with managers? Why do they make this so difficult?!
    Baseball doesn't seem different than most industries.

People who have no clue get put in charge of things.

I agree that Stanton should be ahead of Hosmer for sure.

But let's not act like Joe Torre is an idiot, he knows a little bit about baseball.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

10. Likes:

elfmanvt07 (03-12-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I agree that Stanton should be ahead of Hosmer for sure.

But let's not act like Joe Torre is an idiot, he knows a little bit about baseball.
    And yet he hit his worst hitter higher in the line up than perhaps his best (who he actually hit 8th).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And yet he hit his worst hitter higher in the line up than perhaps his best (who he actually hit 8th).
    Yes in a season long setting it would be a horrible move. But just like the playoffs this will be won on small sample sizes. So Torre does have an advantage over us that he is watching batting practice and talking to the guys about how they are coming along in spring. You don't have 162 games for those stats to actualize. To this end Hosmer had some really good swings in Arizona and was hitting them right at defenders. Hosmer was having a really good spring as well. Stanton was good also. He also wants to split up righties in middle of lineup.

Once again setting like this lend themselves to players like Freese and Sandoval being the best hitters on the field when we know over 162 that isn't the case. Regular season its a horrible move. Tournament baseball he might know more than us and his rationale might be justified.

I do think Torre has gone bunt insane this tournament which I can not defend in the situations he has done it.

14. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?