Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

Re: In Defense of the WBC

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Is anyone else watching? Brazil leading Japan 3-2 in the 6th!
    Got up in time to see from the 5th on - good game! Barry Larkin has been good for that team
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think moving it to November is a tremendous idea. As long as you make the championship game on a weeknight, plenty of people will watch.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

The problem with this next game is that it's not live, because it was being played partly at the same time as the other one, and I have no self control.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I'll watch every game if I'm at home. The fans at the Australia v Chinese Taipei game were crazy. What they did when their pitcher had two strikes was hilarious. I wish we could get something like that going at GABP...but for now we have to live with the howl.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So, I just checked out the US roster.

Tommy Manzella is on the US roster as an infielder. Manzella hit .221/.294/.268 last season. IN THE MINOR LEAGUES. They US couldn't find someone better than that? Really? REALLY? R E A L L Y ?!

Logan Kensing is in the US bullpen. He has a grand total of 0 MLB innings since the start of 2010. In 2009 he threw 35 MLB innings with an ERA of 8.92. He was the best they could do. Really?

This is why people don't really care about the WBC in this country. Logan Kensing and Tommy Manzella are on the team.

Honestly, how many phone calls do you have to make to get THAT FAR down the list?

9. Likes:

remdog (03-07-2013)

Yeah, it sucks seeing what US players want to play then seeing the Japan and Dominican Republic's lineups. The WBC don't gain popularity in America until America's best players start signing up.

And seeing good position players and mediocre pitchers everywhere (I understand why you don't want your ace playing in the WBC) could lead to some pretty crazy games.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

So, it turns out that those two players mentioned above AREN'T on the US roster. They just appeared in the warm up game with them.

I feel a little bit better about it.

Still, we couldn't do any better than Eric Hosmer at first?

More importantly - Mike Costanzo is playing for team Italy and just drove in a run against Mexico (off of Rodrigo Lopez) in the top of the 1st!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, it turns out that those two players mentioned above AREN'T on the US roster. They just appeared in the warm up game with them.

I feel a little bit better about it.

Still, we couldn't do any better than Eric Hosmer at first?
    Eric Hosmer actually replaced Mark Texieira who's out with a wrist injury.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    More importantly - Mike Costanzo is playing for team Italy and just drove in a run against Mexico (off of Rodrigo Lopez) in the top of the 1st!
    Co-Stanzo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The WBC is the equivalent of a bunch of guys in recess just picking teams.

When a day comes when it's actually people from the actual countries playing for these teams, I think it will take on a different meaning.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Eric Hosmer actually replaced Mark Texieira who's out with a wrist injury.
    I know that. Still. Hosmer couldn't OPS .700 last season. There were at least 10 options that were better.

Turn Off Ads?