Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: In Defense of the WBC

Re: In Defense of the WBC

Just seeing how much the guys in the dugout care about it makes me want to watch. That kind of human drama is a big reason most people watch sports. It's refreshing to see these millionaires in some cases acting like little kids when someone scores.

The MLB is their job....they are doing this out of pride and for fun. If you are a fan of sports you will find it compelling. Some people may just be fans of MLB or NFL and thats fine too. But this is sports at its essence. People playing something together they love with people they like, out of choice. Some people compared it to a pickup game. I for one would love to watch pick up games of some of the best athletes. I don't need every single spot to be filled with the most qualified person available.

2. Likes:

jimbo (03-08-2013),jmac (03-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I think the WBC has good intentions. It's a good idea in theory. When MLB started becoming more international, lots of fans probably wondered if an all star team of Dominicans or Japanese or Taiwanese, etc. could beat an all star team of U.S. born players. In practice, kind of like interleague play, the reality doesn't live up to the idea - or fantasy, if you will. There's no good time to play it. The best players don't, or can't play. I don't think MLB is fully committed to it and that hurts it some.

It takes time to get these things going. This is only the 4th WBC, IIRC. Since we are in the age of instant gratification, if something doesn't capture the public's imagination immediately, it isn't going to be embraced for a while. I don't think it's a better product than MLB but I don't think it pretends to be that. It's like saying the Olympic basketball tournament is better than the NBA. That's ridiculous. Some of the games may be better and the players may be more passionate but you can see high school games that are exciting and the players play with passion but it's not the quality of the professional game. However, I think I'd rather watch a WBC game than a spring training game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    I think moving it to November is a tremendous idea. As long as you make the championship game on a weeknight, plenty of people will watch.
    Imagine Cueto throwing innings in November after a full season + playoffs with the Reds.

That would make me uncomfortable.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

6. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2013),HeatherC1212 (03-08-2013)

anyone besides me plan on watching team usa in 15 mins?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    anyone besides me plan on watching team usa in 15 mins?
    I am watching it and already mad at baseball.

Is Arencibia only catching because he's R.A. Dickey's catcher?

Is Arencibia only on the team because he's Dickey's catcher?

With the pitch limits, why not sandwich Dickey in between some flamethrowers? Dickey followed by Kimbrel sure would be fun to watch. It even works better because Dickey doesn't take long to warm up.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Phillips 5-3 GO in his first AB.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Eduardo Arredondo > Jose Arredondo

2-0 Mexico after 1. I can see the U.S. staying low on runs while Gallardo is out there. Work the counts, get him to the limit, and get to Mexican pen, which wasn't great vs. Italy. I'm guessing we'll see K-Rod tonight.

Edit: Nevermind. Wrong Francisco Rodriguez. But I do hope we get to see Big Sweat!
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 03-08-2013 at 09:31 PM.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

What is cinreds21 doing on my TV?!
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    What is cinreds21 doing on my TV?!
    Stuntin

HUGE NEWS:

Just realized Manos de Oro is a coach for Team Mexico. I may be rooting for Team Mexico now, as I'm sure Jerry Narron is.
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 03-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

What are the requirements to play for a country? I see Mike Costanzo is playing for Italy yet Wikipedia has him being born in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What are the requirements to play for a country? I see Mike Costanzo is playing for Italy yet Wikipedia has him being born in Philly.
    Basically, you or your parents must have either been born or be a citizen of the country.

The player is a citizen of the nation the team represents.
    The player is qualified for citizenship or to hold a passport under the laws of a nation represented by a team, but has not been granted citizenship or been issued a passport, then the player may be made eligible by WBCI upon petition by the player or team.
    The player is a permanent legal resident of the nation or territory the team represents.
    The player was born in the nation or territory the team represents.
    The player has one parent who is, or if deceased was, a citizen of the nation the team represents.
    The player has one parent who was born in the nation or territory the team represents.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Basically, you or your parents must have either been born or be a citizen of the country.
    Thanks Larkin! Gotta hand it to you, that was quick!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Thanks Larkin! Gotta hand it to you, that was quick!
    Well I was wondering the same thing, so I had looked it up a bit earlier and still had the Wikipedia tab open.

Wright RBI single. 4-1 Mexico.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?