Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds block Cueto from pitching in WBC

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Reds block Cueto from pitching in WBC

ESPN has a report that the Reds have used their power to block Cueto from pitching in the WBC.

They have that power because he finished the season injured.

The article goes on to say that JC is OK with it.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/worldclassic2...incinnati-reds
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds block Cueto from pitching in WBC

I heard this earlier this afternoon and was quite happy with the Reds decision.

Meh. Wish I could see Johnny throw for his home country. Glad Joey and Brandon will be out there, though.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Great move
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Not sure how I feel. As a Reds fan, I don't really want any negative effects to carry over into the season. On the other hand, baseball is entertainment and I would enjoy seeing him pitch in it.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

I for one am happy they did. I could not care less about the WBC. It has some entertainment value and that's about it. The Red's have a legit shot to win this year, so I'm glad they did this. I wouldn't mind it if Votto didn't play either. Baseball is long enough without trying to gear it up too early.

There's no reason to risk further injury or tax his arm before the season starts. I'm sure Johnny understands an MLB team is more important than representing his country in a basically meaningless competition.

Although it would have been fun to watch him pitch.

I'm still not that crazy about Votto playing for team Canada. I'd rather he stay injury-free.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Meh. Wish I could see Johnny throw for his home country. Glad Joey and Brandon will be out there, though.
    And I'd rather see him pitching for the Reds this year. I could care less about the WBC farce.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I gotta agree, right call. It is too early to get into games full steam-I know there are S.T. "games" but innings are more controlled, used more to grow, work on pitches, find groove, etc-not just right into serious competition so early on.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    And I'd rather see him pitching for the Reds this year. I could care less about the WBC farce.
    WBC is a small town ball game when compared to the rigors of a MLB season, my interest in it is wrapped around a fear of the season being ruined by it.

Hardly a positive motivator

12. Likes:

traderumor (02-22-2013)

The absolute last thing I want to see is the Reds burning up pitchers in the WBC. Count me as being happy about this call.

14. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (02-22-2013),Red Raindog (02-22-2013),reds44 (02-22-2013),traderumor (02-22-2013)

good. we can't have him letting the team down again by getting hurt in the playoffs or late in the season again

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    good. we can't have him letting the team down again by getting hurt in the playoffs or late in the season again
    "letting the team down" is a specious argument at best, to let someone down usually involves a direct action with a hint of maliciousness intent.

Injuries happen, a big and giant part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    "letting the team down" is a specious argument at best, to let someone down usually involves a direct action with a hint of maliciousness intent.

Injuries happen, a big and giant part of the game.
    If he throws that pitch to the catcher which is what you're supposed to do instead of holding onto it we wouldn't be having this conversation and the Reds would have been World Series champs (yes i'm going out on a limb saying that but this was the best team in baseball had Cueto not got hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    If he throws that pitch to the catcher which is what you're supposed to do instead of holding onto it we wouldn't be having this conversation and the Reds would have been World Series champs (yes i'm going out on a limb saying that but this was the best team in baseball had Cueto not got hurt)
    “It may have happened, it may not have happened but it could have happened.”

Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?