Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds; Take Note From The Marlins

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds; Take Note From The Marlins

The Miami Marlins are in on what seems like everybody this offseason and are going all in. They are going after a 3rd Championship in 15 years. The Reds Have only had one playoff appearance in that time. Who's committed to winning? I know the Reds are building within and drafting and doing things the cheap way but by not adding to this team in 2 years then this team really has to ask it self it it truly wants to bring winning baseball back to Cincinnati. Joey Votto will be a free agent soon and the time to build on this club is now. It's truly beating a dead horse but sometimes you got to either produce on your promises or stop promising.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds; Take Note From The Marlins

"We're simply not going to lose anymore" - Bob Castellini when firing Wayne Krivsky

Let's not start anointing Loria and the Marlins saints, they haven't actually done anything yet.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Let's not start anointing Loria and the Marlins saints, they haven't actually done anything yet.
    Seriously.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Seriously.
    They haven't? They've gotten me excited about Marlins baseball. They've got me interested in who they are perusing. The have a new name, look, and stadium. They are getting there players excited about potential free agents. They are getting their manager in full recruit mode.

I'm a Reds fan first and foremost but if this team isn't going to improve then I got to just be a baseball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    They haven't? They've gotten me excited about Marlins baseball. They've got me interested in who they are perusing. The have a new name, look, and stadium. They are getting there players excited about potential free agents. They are getting their manager in full recruit mode.
    And eventually they will sell off those players just like they did before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm a Reds fan first and foremost but if this team isn't going to improve then I got to just be a baseball fan.
    I think edabbs was alluding to actual things that people care about.

Getting you to care based on turning the wheel to start-up the rumour mill isn't actually doing anything.

The Cubs did that 5 years ago and rued the day.

The Reds have issues, and there are far easier ways to criticize them rather than putting them down because another team is out rumouring the Reds 52-0.

On a related note today the Cincinnati Reds have announced a press conference for 3:30 this afternoon. At the conference, the Reds will announce a change in their name to the the Hamilton County Redlegs. Their new uni's will be softball compression shorts worn over red lycra tights and the tops will be loose cotton t-shirts with flashdance width necks and cut off sleeves.

The Marlins??

Envy?

Lessons to learn from them?

Laughable

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Sounds like their off season marketing plan to sell season ticket packages to the locals is working just fine here in Ohio!
    sorry we're boring

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's truly beating a dead horse but sometimes you got to either produce on your promises or stop promising.
    Get back to us when the Marlins actually "produce on their promises".

Marlins 1997 WS Champs
    Marlins 2003 WS Champs

Reds 1997 3rd in Central Division
    Reds 2003 5th in Central Division

hmmm. perhaps the marlins know SOMETHING. They aren't perfect, but they do seem to have a model for recycling success. And that team is on the cusp of success again. Stanton, Morrison, Hanley and add Reyes, that's a solid offensive core. Put Bonifacio in CF, he's your leadoff hitter. The rotation needs some health, and maybe one more starter. They can contend in the NL East.

As for learning, how about this, you move into a new stadium, you get a new name and look, you make a big FA splash. Seems like a plan to me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

A long time ago, in the time of leatherpants. The Reds were involved in a lot of rumors. Nothing ever really came of them though except for disappointment and I for one don't want to return to those days.

As for the Marlins, being involved in rumors and actually landing the free agents are two totally different things.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Marlins 1997 WS Champs
    Marlins 2003 WS Champs

Reds 1997 3rd in Central Division
    Reds 2003 5th in Central Division

hmmm. perhaps the marlins know SOMETHING. They aren't perfect, but they do seem to have a model for recycling success. And that team is on the cusp of success again. Stanton, Morrison, Hanley and add Reyes, that's a solid offensive core. Put Bonifacio in CF, he's your leadoff hitter. The rotation needs some health, and maybe one more starter. They can contend in the NL East.

As for learning, how about this, you move into a new stadium, you get a new name and look, you make a big FA splash. Seems like a plan to me.

How many rings does Loria have? And how many franchises has he trashed?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And eventually they will sell off those players just like they did before.
    With yet another trophy in the trophy case.

I'd take that tradeoff.

Turn Off Ads?