Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawyers wonder why they get a bad rep..

Retired

Lawyers wonder why they get a bad rep..

So, yesterday I was involved in a pretty serious car accident. Rear ended by a semi going 45 mph (I was stopped in traffic!) and got pushed into another car. I made it out ok, sore and a little banged up, but otherwise fine. My car took the worst of it, it's totaled.

The most annoying part of the last 24 hours? My phone has been ringing non stop with calls from lawyers and "medical referral" services. 11 calls from lawyers, 3 from chiropractors, 3 from the "referral" services I spoke of, and in the mail today I got a letter from another lawyer. They all mention I need protection from the evil insurance companies, which is ironic because the insurance company has been great, I think it's the ambulance chasing freak show I think I need protection from. They must hang out at the police station and buy copies of all the accident reports for the day or something. Ridiculous!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Lawyers wonder why they get a bad rep..

Glad you are ok.

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-22-2013),TeamSelig (03-04-2013)

Well if you don't need their services, you can just ignore them. They will move on to newer prey (i.e. the next batch of accident reports they get.) If you do need their services at least you can shop around and find out who charges the least. Did you have any medical damage/doctor visits? Feel free to PM me if you need any advice on this. I'm in the medical field but I work with law offices on this stuff all the time. Hope you are doing OK.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Retired

The day after sucked pretty bad, I am pretty much back to normal now. The biggest downside, I am hyper paraniod driving now, looking in the rear view mirror constantly.

Well, and the $18k damage to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    The day after sucked pretty bad, I am pretty much back to normal now. The biggest downside, I am hyper paraniod driving now, looking in the rear view mirror constantly.

I know what you mean. I recently sold my motorcycle because I was constantly seeing people drive while talking/texting and had 2 really close calls at speeds of 55-60 mph. If gas weren't nearly $4/gal I'd drive a Humvee. H1, military type.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

So, yesterday I was involved in a pretty serious car accident. Rear ended by a semi going 45 mph (I was stopped in traffic!) and got pushed into another car. I made it out ok, sore and a little banged up, but otherwise fine. My car took the worst of it, it's totaled.

The most annoying part of the last 24 hours? My phone has been ringing non stop with calls from lawyers and "medical referral" services. 11 calls from lawyers, 3 from chiropractors, 3 from the "referral" services I spoke of, and in the mail today I got a letter from another lawyer. They all mention I need protection from the evil insurance companies, which is ironic because the insurance company has been great, I think it's the ambulance chasing freak show I think I need protection from. They must hang out at the police station and buy copies of all the accident reports for the day or something. Ridiculous!
    Glad you are OK.

As someone who has went through a very similar thing, I strongly suggest that you go to the doctor. Things happen to your back/head that you might not realize are issues at the moment.

In any event, the insurance Co. of the person at fault is going to cut you a check of some kind for personal injury/pain/suffering so that they can close the book on that part of a potential payout. It could be more. It could be less.

You don't to be on the less if it turns out that you can't bend over to tie your shoes some mornings say, 6 months from now.

Besides if nothing else, the doctor will give you a walmart bag full of muscle relaxer samples that pharm reps throw at them. Again, you might say, boo today. But they might come in very handy in a few days when your back muscles decide to all lock up.

BTW, if you got out of that and can actually make it through a whole page of text without losing your concentration (i.e even your noggin' is good to go), you probably ought to schedule an appointment with a clergyman too because your guardian angel truly was looking out for you.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

"Ambulance Chaser" lawyers can seem scummy, but they've got nothing on insurance companies who try to close out cases with a quick check knowing full well that people can have issues that linger for weeks/months/years stemming from sudden-impact injuries.

I'd echo the advice above: go see a doctor and make sure you're medically alright before you do anything else.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Retired

I claimed it on my insurance. I discussed with my agent and he said insurance companies for commercial drivers are a nightmare to deal with, and slow. I only have one car, and couldn't have this drag out for a month. My insurance is going to pay for my car, then subrogate the claim back to the at fault party, and they'll deal with them.

I claimed it on my insurance. I discussed with my agent and he said insurance companies for commercial drivers are a nightmare to deal with, and slow. I only have one car, and couldn't have this drag out for a month. My insurance is going to pay for my car, then subrogate the claim back to the at fault party, and they'll deal with them.
    That's one way to do it if you have a good insurance company yourself. Some insurers of at-fault parties will jump right in and immediately start processing your claim to try to keep your own insurance out of it and minimize their own losses. Once they get in, they nickel-and-dime you at every corner. And of course some auto insurers are notorious for following the "3 Ds": Deny, Defend, and Delay. If you don't sign a waiver of your legal claim right away, they do anything they can to wear you down, knowing that they have money and you don't. I had this issue when I was a law student and my wife was hit by a driver while she was 6 months pregnant and had our 3 year old son in the car. The other guy's insurance company swooped right in, pretending to be helpful, but the car got to the shop, they started questioning every repair and actually tried to claim that some of the damage must have happened before or after the accident, even though it was a brand new car that had just been driven off the lot the week before. My wife even spent the day in the hospital so they could monitor the baby. After some sage advice from some attorney mentors, I held out for a while, going back and forth with them as I got closer to passing the bar exam. I finally got them to give us a settlement we could be happy with, but it took a lot of patience and some investigation into the law.

As annoying and shady some personal injury lawyers seem, it doesn't hurt to talk to one if you're having physical issues. I hired a lawyer when I was in an accident just out of college when I was having neck and shoulder issues afterward. He got me a reasonable settlement that covered the cost of a new car and a lot more physical therapy than I would have gotten otherwise, because my health insurance at the time wasn't so great.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

My drivers ed teacher at Mariemont told us to check the rearview mirror every ten seconds

Which I still do... lots of crazy behind you

45 MPH! Were you also driving a semi? That seems really fast and you're really lucky to have walked away from that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Where I work people park on the street across from our building. Twice idiots have run into the back of the line of cars. The first time it was a gas company straight truck in the middle of the day and that totaled 5 cars. Last year a guy who works 5 blocks east of here and drives our street twice a day barreled into the last car in the line before daylight, caught fire and might have died if not for a former firefighter who works here and heard the accident happen. People are oblivious any more. You are very lucky to have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    "Ambulance Chaser" lawyers can seem scummy, but they've got nothing on insurance companies who try to close out cases with a quick check knowing full well that people can have issues that linger for weeks/months/years stemming from sudden-impact injuries.
    It takes about 5 minutes for anyone who innocently enters into the personal injury area to figure out that carriers are the ones really responsible for the state of our tort system. Their attitude is "You're not covered and if you don't like our decision, take us to court."

There is a huge body of recent bad faith case law centering on lawsuits against insurers for unreasonably failing to provide coverage and for failure to agree to "throw in" the full value of a modest auto policy even when there has been catastrophic injury.

Makes a few phone calls from a couple of dopey PI lawyers seem like milk and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    As annoying and shady some personal injury lawyers seem, it doesn't hurt to talk to one if you're having physical issues.
    Considering its all done on a contingency basis, I guarantee you will at least get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My drivers ed teacher at Mariemont told us to check the rearview mirror every ten seconds

Which I still do... lots of crazy behind you
    My dad taught me to constantly check the mirrors too. It must've stuck with me because as my wife was leaving for a long drive to Atlanta this morning to visit a friend, I told her, "Be careful and don't forget to keep checking the mirrors!"
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?