Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 NFL Draft News

Re: 2013 NFL Draft News

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    With Burfict playing the middle I don't see a spot opening up for Teo. Bengals draft really well as of late using the Baltimore method of always take BPA. I can see them going either with a safety or an offensive lineman.
    True.

I was watching ESPN and they had Tedy Bruschi talking about Teo and his draft stock. I love when these talking heads start to contradict themselves. He was saying that if you run a 4.8 that makes you a package LB. It drops you into the 2nd and 3rd and later rounds and you may be taken off the field for dime or nickle or penny package. But what Tedy didn't mention was that he was drafted in the 3rd round. I guess he came off the field in nickle and dime packages! It annoys me when these so called analysis's have gone through the ringer before yet still pigeon hole careers of guys because of their combine numbers. One would think Bruschi would be smarter than that.

To compound on that they were profiling LB's again and talking about what a slow 40 can do. They then profiled Burfict and his slow 40. Which brought me back to Mike Mayock who constantly said his draft review of Burfict was spot on. Well here is the thing guys, you were wrong. That is what happens when you misjudge the combine numbers. Admit that you are wrong instead of sounding like a bumbling idiot on a broadcast.

2. Turn Off Ads?

With the Chiefs dealing for Alex Smith they most likely will draft a tackle at that spot. The big question is which one do they choose Fisher or Joeckel.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

With the Chiefs dealing for Alex Smith they most likely will draft a tackle at that spot. The big question is which one do they choose Fisher or Joeckel.
    I'd say Joeckel is a lock for number one.

It's interesting because a lot of the top picks a month ago (Teo, Loutelei, Jarvis Jones, Ogletree) have all fallen.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think trading a 2nd (and a pick next year) for Alex Smith is more moronic than the Raiders trading 2 2nds for Carson Palmer. At least with Palmer you have at least some success to look at. Both deals are stupid but I feel Geno is going to be a very good pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I think trading a 2nd (and a pick next year) for Alex Smith is more moronic than the Raiders trading 2 2nds for Carson Palmer. At least with Palmer you have at least some success to look at. Both deals are stupid but I feel Geno is going to be a very good pro.
    It was actually a first and a second for Carson.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    It was actually a first and a second for Carson.
    Thats right, I thought the first went for that waste of space DT/DE Seymour.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    True.

I was watching ESPN and they had Tedy Bruschi talking about Teo and his draft stock. I love when these talking heads start to contradict themselves. He was saying that if you run a 4.8 that makes you a package LB. It drops you into the 2nd and 3rd and later rounds and you may be taken off the field for dime or nickle or penny package. But what Tedy didn't mention was that he was drafted in the 3rd round. I guess he came off the field in nickle and dime packages! It annoys me when these so called analysis's have gone through the ringer before yet still pigeon hole careers of guys because of their combine numbers. One would think Bruschi would be smarter than that.

To compound on that they were profiling LB's again and talking about what a slow 40 can do. They then profiled Burfict and his slow 40. Which brought me back to Mike Mayock who constantly said his draft review of Burfict was spot on. Well here is the thing guys, you were wrong. That is what happens when you misjudge the combine numbers. Admit that you are wrong instead of sounding like a bumbling idiot on a broadcast.
    I get what you're saying but it's part of the job description. Of course a guy drafted in the 3rd or 4th or 7th round might turn out to be a starting LB. In fact more than one guy almost indisputably will. I don't think Bruschi's necessarily saying that he is predicting how Teo's career will go, rather how he believes teams are likely to interpret Teo's slow speed.

This gets to the question that has been nagging at me for a few years with regards to predicting things like this. It applies to the people predicting the bracket and elections as well.

When you put together a mock draft are you saying that this certain player is one who you believe a team SHOULD pick, or are you predicting who the team WILL pick.

Apologies to Raiders fans, but let's call this the Darius Heyward Bay test.

Given the Raiders draft history, and the late great Al Davis's penchant for drafting super fast receivers, perhaps we shouldn't have been surprised when the Raiders drafted him in the 1st round.

But would it make sense for a mock draft leading up to the draft to project the Raiders making this pick?

My guess is most mock drafts make projections on what they believe the team needs which while it might make sense on a surface level, ignores the fact that a lot of team(the Bengals included) don't really grade based on their own needs but instead draft who they believe is the best player available almost irregardless of position.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    True.

I saw both the Bruschi comments and Mayock on Burfict and I'd argue you misunderstood where both were coming from. In fact Bruschi actually downplayed the 40 even though he did admit that Te'o "could" slip into the 2nd if he didn't improve his 40 time. He wasn't downgrading Manti he was simply stating the obvious reaction from the league. He added that the film is the big determiner in where Te'o will go. Mayock also always seemed to intimate that his reasoning for downgrading Burfict had to do with his production dropping on tape but it seemed like he knew by the way he stated things that Burficts issues were attitude related and that unless that changed he was "undraftable" which was probably spot on. But Marvin gave the kid what he needed which was someone to believe in him which I think helped to change his attitude.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-01-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Alex Smith was a good deal for the Chiefs especially with Andy Reid calling the pays however giving up a second for him and a conditional pick for a guy who almost got cut a few yrs ago could be considered overpaying. Would not have given more than a 4th for him. Kudos to the Niners for playing there cards right.

Rumors have it that the Raiders are sniffing around Geno Smith at 3. Hmmm only the Raiders, however I don't see Smith getting past Buffalo at 8 so it may not be far fetched. The wildcard to me is still Matt Barkley and how he throws on his pro day.

Rumors have it that the Raiders are sniffing around Geno Smith at 3. Hmmm only the Raiders, however I don't see Smith getting past Buffalo at 8 so it may not be far fetched. The wildcard to me is still Matt Barkley and how he throws on his pro day.
    Lot of rumors on the boards I read is that they are trying to get Buffalo, Arizona, or someone to trade up for him. I would not complain at all with Geno in Oakland but I think the better move is to try and trade down for more. I believe a new day is coming for Oakland.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Lot of rumors on the boards I read is that they are trying to get Buffalo, Arizona, or someone to trade up for him. I would not complain at all with Geno in Oakland but I think the better move is to try and trade down for more. I believe a new day is coming for Oakland.
    And frankly it's a kinda believable ploy (I think it's a ploy anyway) due to Palmer's cap number/ineffectiveness.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Being a Chiefs fan, I'm not too keen on this deal. I think 2nd is way too high...much perfered a 4th....especially with the 'conditional' pick......maybe Andy is hoping Alex doesn't reach the expectations, and is void of that pick.
    As for the tackle question...I hope neither.....I am hoping they re-sign their Top 5 LT, Branden Albert... trade back, and get extra picks...this would lessen the draw back of throwing away their 2nd.."anything else would be uncivilized"....but would be exactly what this franchise has done every year...why change what isn't working?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Nut View Post
    Being a Chiefs fan, I'm not too keen on this deal. I think 2nd is way too high...much perfered a 4th....especially with the 'conditional' pick......maybe Andy is hoping Alex doesn't reach the expectations, and is void of that pick.
    As for the tackle question...I hope neither.....I am hoping they re-sign their Top 5 LT, Branden Albert... trade back, and get extra picks...this would lessen the draw back of throwing away their 2nd.."anything else would be uncivilized"....but would be exactly what this franchise has done every year...why change what isn't working?
    I have been predicting this will happen. Well half of it anyway, the thing you have to consider here is who will they trade with? Not sure there is anyone at the top someone has to have, Joeckel isn't so much better than his competition to be worth trading up for. Arizona for example could stay put at #7 and draft Lane Johnson and keep their other picks.

What KC might wanna do is find the pass rusher everyone wants and can't do without and talk him up as the #1 pick. Dion Jordan I think is worthy of that pick with his current ability plus alot of upside. Maybe they can get Philly to jump up a couple picks. Then the Chiefs can take something like Dee Milliner at #4 and come back in the 2nd and take Margus Hunt to give them a really good 3-4 DE, which I think is one of their 2 biggest holes (along with their 2nd CB). But they might also consider Shariff Floyd for a 3-4 DE, of course they might be a bit gunshy since Dorsey and Jackson haven't really panned out as big DE/DT's moving to 3-4 DE's.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I have been predicting this will happen. Well half of it anyway, the thing you have to consider here is who will they trade with? Not sure there is anyone at the top someone has to have, Joeckel isn't so much better than his competition to be worth trading up for. Arizona for example could stay put at #7 and draft Lane Johnson and keep their other picks.

What KC might wanna do is find the pass rusher everyone wants and can't do without and talk him up as the #1 pick. Dion Jordan I think is worthy of that pick with his current ability plus alot of upside. Maybe they can get Philly to jump up a couple picks. Then the Chiefs can take something like Dee Milliner at #4 and come back in the 2nd and take Margus Hunt to give them a really good 3-4 DE, which I think is one of their 2 biggest holes (along with their 2nd CB). But they might also consider Shariff Floyd for a 3-4 DE, of course they might be a bit gunshy since Dorsey and Jackson haven't really panned out as big DE/DT's moving to 3-4 DE's.
    Tyson Jackson has been improving last couple years. He hasn't lived up to being picked 3rd overall,IIRC, but held his own this past season. He also just restructured his contract. Glenn may be hitting the open market.
    Seeing as they tagged Albert, I don't see them going LT, with #1. Dorsey, the GM, said they are gonna work on a long term deal......nice. KC gave up their 2nd rounder, possibly, for Alex Smith.(we'll find out in another week.....am hoping it was a fourth) As for 1st rounder (if can't move back)..still wouldn't count out a QB, weak draft and with no second round pick, only fodder will be left, when KC picks in the 3rd.....I wouldn't mind Bray, but only as a 5th. He's a nice project. Needs some seasoning, but has the tools.
    Also, Star or Milliner, would be nice pick ups

Turn Off Ads?