Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds catching 2013 and after

Threaded View

Re: Reds catching 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    At the risk of sounding overconfident, this season will likely be defined by October, not by whether we win 97 or 93 games. If Hanigan plays 60% of the time and Mes gets tons of chances in the reg season, I don't see the harm. You keep Hanigan fresher for the playoffs and Mes can better develop and possibly even break out offensively.

Now, if we get to July/August and we're in a dead heat to even make the playoffs, we can reevaluate.
    The harm is to Mes, who will not get consistent at bats and will not get consistent work behind the plate.

40% of the time means 60% on the bench.

At this point, I don't see what Mes gains from this arrangement. He's already had "exposure" to the big leagues. What he needs now is playing time.

Mes is also coming off a very rocky year in 2012. Let him gain confidence at AAA. Let him work on his defense down there.

When does he come back up? We see how it goes for Mes, for the ballclub. Are there injuries? Does someone (Hanigan, Olivo, Mes) have a bad year, a great year. Lots of variables.

But to start things out, I don't see the advantage of the 60/40 arrangement. I'd send Mes to AAA, let him catch 80 percent of the games, let him hit third and get a lot of at bats. Then take it from there.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Turn Off Ads?