Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds catching 2013 and after

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds catching 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Yeah - what he said

I would give playing time to absolutely no AAA / AAAA guy who hasn't earned it on the field, outside of a total phenom, in the Chapman and HAmilton level, not the Mes level. Perhaps Mes should have spent last year at AAA to be more ready this year. I just think he needs more time, and I'd rather see it on Louisville than in Cincy.
    Devin Mesoraco was a higher rated prospect than Billy Hamilton is today. He got 160 at bats in 90% of a full MLB year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the choice is Mes only getting 1.5 starts a week or losing another major league development redoing AAA I'd just assume trade him.

Reds have completely boondoggled his development.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Devin Mesoraco was a higher rated prospect than Billy Hamilton is today. He got 160 at bats in 90% of a full MLB year.
    speaking of 90%, 90% of all people reading this prob don't believe that Mes was ever rated higher than Billy Hamilton. Time to do research..... BRB
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

speaking of 90%, 90% of all people reading this prob don't believe that Mes was ever rated higher than Billy Hamilton. Time to do research..... BRB
    And they would be wrong.

Coming off of their last minor league year, and going into 2011 for Mes and 2013 for Hamilton, Mes had a WAR of -0.2 and Billy Hamilton had a WAR of 1.0 (at the major league level. I'lltry to find some prospect ratings for each, WAR isn't fair prob when comparing these 2 positions.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If the choice is Mes only getting 1.5 starts a week or losing another major league development redoing AAA I'd just assume trade him.

Reds have completely boondoggled his development.
    I don't want to trade him but I agree there is no where to feel good about his development. I'm starting to feel the same way about him that I do Chapman. Make a plan and stick with it. Even if your plan sucks it has to be better than having no plan at all, and that is the way I'm starting to feel with Mes, that the club just doesn't have a good plan.

I don't really follow prospects all that closely and know that Mes was touted as a middle of the order type catcher. Whether or not that ever becomes true is one thing, but he was touted as such. You have to give a guy like Mes a chance, and he certainly didn't get one last year.

Coming off of their last minor league year, and going into 2011 for Mes and 2013 for Hamilton, Mes had a WAR of -0.2 and Billy Hamilton had a WAR of 1.0 (at the major league level. I'lltry to find some prospect ratings for each, WAR isn't fair prob when comparing these 2 positions.
    Billy Hamilton can't have a WAR of anything. He has never played in the Majors. Catching WAR is incomplete and well known that it doesn't calculate their full defense.

Billy Hamilton, BA 2013 Rank was 20.
    Devin Mesoraco, BA 2012 Rank was 16.

Done.

Billy Hmilton is ranked #30 this year by ESPN
    Devin Mes is #8 for last year. You ar correct sir.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Billy Hamilton can't have a WAR of anything. He has never played in the Majors. Catching WAR is incomplete and well known that it doesn't calculate their full defense.

Billy Hamilton, BA 2013 Rank was 20.
    Devin Mesoraco, BA 2012 Rank was 16.

Done.
    Uhmm, I read it online, it must be true.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Oh yeah, and I had already made that point. about it not being fair & all.........
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Uhmm, I read it online, it must be true.
    Well, I am a French Model.

I guess I'm just buying into the Billy Hamilton hype. Never really saw / heard of any (or much) national hype with Mes.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

I guess I'm just buying into the Billy Hamilton hype. Never really saw / heard of any (or much) national hype with Mes.
    Billy Hamilton may get more hype because of the steals being so rare, but as far as a player goes, it was nearly unanimous that Mesoraco as a prospect was better than Hamilton is as a prospect. Catchers are more important defensively and Mesoraco has more offensive upside as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysawarrior View Post
    I don't want to trade him but I agree there is no where to feel good about his development. I'm starting to feel the same way about him that I do Chapman. Make a plan and stick with it. Even if your plan sucks it has to be better than having no plan at all, and that is the way I'm starting to feel with Mes, that the club just doesn't have a good plan.
    The Reds have had a consistent plan for Mes. When he finished his good AAA season, they brought him to the bigs and gave him an apprenticeship playing less than the incumbent.

The plan was - and maybe still is - to increase that playing time.

Problem is he hit .212 with a .640 OPS, and some think he didn't defend that well. He was sent down to the minors, hit 3 for 19 PAs down there, and then didn't make the Reds playoff roster.

Meantime, Hanigan is established as a first rate defender who gets on base. And the team is contending and probably wants Hanigan to continue to play very often.

If it were me, I would do the opposite of sticking to the plan. I'd revise the plan to allow Mes to get his bat going at AAA and get some more reps behind the plate. Let's see how it goes, how Hanigan does, how Olivo does, if everyone is healthy.

You can support Mes and still think he'd be better off catching most every day at AAA.

17. Likes:

remdog (03-10-2013)

Turn Off Ads?