Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds catching 2013 and after

Reds catching 2013 and after

Ink today about Mes and Olivo and who will stay and who will be sent down.

Thought we could all put our views in one thread, up to date. I'm sure this was covered in other threads, but now the actual decision time is coming up.

My conclusion on this one is that last year's split between Hanigan and Mesoraco would be a mistake in 2013. Mes just won't develop sitting on the bench most games.

I've also concluded that Hanigan is the better bet short term, but I mean short term. Ryan is a wonderful defender and he gets on base, but his OPS the last two years is just over .700. I don't see him being a major factor in the offense at this point.

So, my opinion would be to send Mes to AAA after spring training. Let him play every day at AAA this year. Give him a September call up, and obviously let him come up if there are injuries.

I don't remember when Hanigan's contract ends, but I'd make him the backup starting next year with Mes taking over, unless there is an unforeseen injury or Mes fails at AAA.

Other views?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds catching 2013 and after

Cot's has Hanigan listed as arbitration 3 eligible after this season. I'd assume they'd re-sign him for another 2 years, hopefully.

The more I watch baseball the less I care about my catcher's offensive abilities. Catching is about handling your pitching staff and running the game. Hannigan convinced me last year. it was a pleasure to watch him play. Bat him eighth and let the other guys take care of the offense. Your catcher has more important things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    The more I watch baseball the less I care about my catcher's offensive abilities. Catching is about handling your pitching staff and running the game. Hannigan convinced me last year. it was a pleasure to watch him play. Bat him eighth and let the other guys take care of the offense. Your catcher has more important things to do.
    I tend to agree. I'd love to see Devin cash in on his potential and rest the job away from Hanigan, but if Ryan can play at this offensive level for four or five more years, I'm fine with him holding the job. I have no problem with him having a low SLG% if he maintains an OBP% over league average.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

One of the wonks on MLB Network had Hannigan as one of his "Top 10 Right Now" at catcher, listing the combination of defense and staff-handling as possibly the best in the NL (with his OBP being a decent offensive trait). "Top 10 Right Now" in all of MLB, and he only played about 3/5ths of the time last year. We are a fortunate team.

If it's true Hannigan has an arb year yet to go (can that really be true, it seems like he's been here forever?), resigning him should be a no-brainer. If he's a free agent? I still make a move to re-sign, but I also start to use my brain, since an over-pay for an over-30 guy is never wise.

Also: mheh heh heh, I said "staff-handling." Mheh heh. [/beavis]

Rick

Hanigan should start the vast majority of games this year. I don't care if Mesoraco is the future. Hanigan is far too good behind the dish to ever be sitting on the bench. Look at Homer Bailey at the end of last season with Hanigan catching him. I know everyone wants another Johnny Bench, but Mesoraco isn't that guy yet. We are a WS caliber team and I want to win one this season. I dont want a question mark handling our pitchers 40% of the time. Hanigan handles this staff beatifully and I'd lock him up for four years right now. The skills he possesses are not the kind that are likely to decline.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Mes was a disaster behind the plate last year. But his ceiling is quite a few rungs above Hanigans best year. Just as Joshua mentioned - the Reds are a potential WS team this year. I say let Hanigan and Mes fight it out. One more real bat deep in the order could be what puts the Reds over the top.

Hanigan *has* to play the majority of the games. He is far and away the best option for the Pitchers. Hitters that can catch (think Piazza) have their place, but Hanny is the real deal backstop and his offense is well above adequate.

The problem for Mez is that most of the pitching staff prefers to throw to Hanigan.

11. Likes:

Red Raindog (02-26-2013)

I believe Hanigan give us the better chance right now. I believe you do Mes and more importantly your team a huge disservice if you do it the same way you did last year. Either stick Mes in AAA or let him start more, I personally don't care which way, but having him start a game and sit two does not do anything for his development.

IMO, Mesoraco needs to be playing regularly, so I send him to AAA and have him play every day and hone his craft. Don't make a judgment on 2014 until 2013 is in the books.

If this is THE YEAR, then Hanigan catches 80% of the games for me. He is the better defensive and by far, game-calling catcher we have. And the pitching staff prefers him behind the plate.

Mez will have his time eventually if he deserves it.

I'd split it 60-40 with the hopes that Mesoraco actually shows offensive ability this season. If he continues to struggle with the bat, there's no reason to keep him. At this point, IMO, Mesoraco's swing is too long and an uppercut. His defense was very, very poor all season. He didn't throw out runners (though that's less important in today's game).

Mesoraco has power-- when he connects.

That's all he has on Hanigan at this point in their careers. Since Cincinnati is vying for not only the pennant but the whole title this season, they have to go with the best choice for winning now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd split it 60-40 with the hopes that Mesoraco actually shows offensive ability this season. If he continues to struggle with the bat, there's no reason to keep him. At this point, IMO, Mesoraco's swing is too long and an uppercut. His defense was very, very poor all season. He didn't throw out runners (though that's less important in today's game).

Mesoraco has power-- when he connects.

That's all he has on Hanigan at this point in their careers. Since Cincinnati is vying for not only the pennant but the whole title this season, they have to go with the best choice for winning now.
    Okay, based on your comments, I'll revise my statement. If Mez starts the season at Louisville, and is batting around .300 with good power, and his attitude and defense are topnotch come June 1, I'd be willing to call him up and mix him in 60%-40% (Mez at 40%) at that point.

At the risk of sounding overconfident, this season will likely be defined by October, not by whether we win 97 or 93 games. If Hanigan plays 60% of the time and Mes gets tons of chances in the reg season, I don't see the harm. You keep Hanigan fresher for the playoffs and Mes can better develop and possibly even break out offensively.

Now, if we get to July/August and we're in a dead heat to even make the playoffs, we can reevaluate.

Turn Off Ads?