Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds catching 2013 and after

Re: Reds catching 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If the plan is for Hanigan to get the most games, send Mez to Louisville so he can get some hitting at-bats and catch everyday. It's as simple as that.
    I think the plan is to win the most games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alright, let's say that things are reset for this season and Mes makes the team. Let's also say that Mes once again is given two pitchers he catches for.

Let's also say that Hannigan hits and catches at his career norms.

What does Mes have to do to get more playing time? Assuming his catching improves to the point you want it to, what does he have to hit to get that third pitcher?

For the AAA crowd, what would he have to do there to earn his way back? When he came back, would it be as a three pitcher guy? Two pitchers?
    Last edited by Raisor; 03-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I think the plan is to win the most games.
    Then bring up Corcino or Stephenson in place of Ondrusek. The best 25 in the organization shouldn't necessarily be In Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Then bring up Corcino or Stephenson in place of Ondrusek. The best 25 in the organization shouldn't necessarily be In Cincy.
    You think Stephenson would be better than Logan in 2013 in the majors?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This plan sounds just like what they did in 2011. Then they brought him up and played him 40% of the time from the start. Why would they do it differently this time around?
    Because Mes didn't improve enough on the forty percent plan.

My plan is AAA, hopefully he dominates, and then he is primary catcher no later than April 2014.

The forty percent plan only is likely if they keep him in the bigs this year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Because Mes didn't improve enough on the forty percent plan.

My plan is AAA, hopefully he dominates, and then he is primary catcher no later than April 2014.

The forty percent plan only is likely if they keep him in the bigs this year.
    I don't understand. He pretty much dominated AAA in 2011 and you didn't want to hand him the job then. Why would it be different this time?

You think Stephenson would be better than Logan in 2013 in the majors?
    For last guy in the bullpen, but not the innings eater, sure.

I should note I do not think highly of Logan at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't understand. He pretty much dominated AAA in 2011 and you didn't want to hand him the job then. Why would it be different this time?
    Because I don't agree that every time a guy has a good AAA season he is major league ready.

Mes may have had a good AAA season in 2011, but it didn't look to me last year like he was ready. And he certainly didn't end the season on a good note.

Next time around, if he does well at AAA, I'd assume Mes will be a more experienced and mature player, he will have dominated AAA for a longer period, his defensive skills will presumably be more refined.

At that point, I'd bring him up, let him help as needed in latter 2013, ane make him the main catcher in 2014.

If Mes doesn't do well at AAA, I'd re-evaluate then.

I think Mes has a far better opportunity to succeed this way. Steady time at AAA and once he gets it going he would take off from there. I prefer it to more part time duty in the major leagues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-02-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    For last guy in the bullpen, but not the innings eater, sure.

I should note I do not think highly of Logan at all.
    Which is fine, but it will be hard to convince me that Stephenson will be more effective on the ML level this year than many guys in the majors.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Alright, let's say that things are reset for this season and Mes makes the team. Let's also say that Mes once again is given two pitchers he catches for.

Let's also say that Hannigan hits and catches at his career norms.

What does Mes have to do to get more playing time? Assuming his catching improves to the point you want it to, what does he have to hit to get that third pitcher?

For the AAA crowd, what would he have to do there to earn his way back? When he came back, would it be as a three pitcher guy? Two pitchers?
    Not suck? Be better than Hanigan (is the question is when do you give him the majority of PT)?

I'm not sure why so many are acting like this is a difficult decision. The team is trying to win as many games as possible. They aren't a glorified farm team anymore. If Devin's development works out in that environment, that's great. But play the better player, if that's Hanigan (who at this point is light years more of a catcher than Mesoraco), then you play Hanigan.

For those reasons I imagine that Hanigan will be getting the bulk of the playing time this year.

Which is fine, but it will be hard to convince me that Stephenson will be more effective on the ML level this year than many guys in the majors.
    It doesn't matter how good or bad Stephenson would be. The point is that there's almost always going to be compromises when it comes to fielding the best team possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Not suck? Be better than Hanigan (is the question is when do you give him the majority of PT)?

I'm not sure why so many are acting like this is a difficult decision. The team is trying to win as many games as possible. They aren't a glorified farm team anymore. If Devin's development works out in that environment, that's great. But play the better player, if that's Hanigan (who at this point is light years more of a catcher than Mesoraco), then you play Hanigan.

For those reasons I imagine that Hanigan will be getting the bulk of the playing time this year.
    How do you define if he's playing better than Hannigan? How long does he have to play better than Hannigan? How much better than Hannigan does he have to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    It doesn't matter how good or bad Stephenson would be. The point is that there's almost always going to be compromises when it comes to fielding the best team possible.
    I don't disagree. But there is nothing wrong with letting a rookie catcher be the short side of a "platoon" until the situation becomes more clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    How do you define if he's playing better than Hannigan? How long does he have to play better than Hannigan? How much better than Hannigan does he have to be?
    That's my problem with the whole situation. If Mez gets 65 at bats by the end of May and has a few hits fall in, that means he's ready? It's an arbitrary way of deciding the fate of a player that's pretty important to the future of the franchise. Hanigan's not exactly getting younger.

I don't disagree. But there is nothing wrong with letting a rookie catcher be the short side of a "platoon" until the situation becomes more clear.
    Define "more clear".

Turn Off Ads?