Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN MLB Future Rankings

ESPN MLB Future Rankings

espn.com released their MLB Future Power Rankings, and six franchies are listed ahead of the Reds. In order, from first to sixth... Cardinals, Rangers, Rays, Nats, Yankees, Cubs. Majors, minors, finances, mobility and management are all taken into account and ranked, then a score is added together. I get the Cards, Rangers, Rays and Nats being ahead of us (although I'd probably put us ahead of TB due to their financial concerns), but the Cubs and Yankees? Really? The Yankees are old and brittle with not much on the farm of immediate help, and the Cubs are pretty much starting from rock bottom. Sure, Theo might build them into a power, and he's made some good moves so far. But enough to put them ahead of the Reds? I find that to be a joke.

What would your rankings look like? How far or low would you have the Reds, given the above criteria? Which franchises are set up for the most success over the next five years or so?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN MLB Future Rankings

I don't understand the Cubs, but the Yankees can buy any free agent they want. That in itself makes them a force and a member of the top five, IMO. At this point, I'd lump the Reds, Rays, and Rangers together just below the Nats, Cardinals, and Yankees. Each of those teams has holes (the Rays don't draw, the Rangers can't seem to find pitching, the Reds market size) that the Cardinals and Nats don't and the Yankees can outspend.

I could also see Boston, LAA, and LAD ahead of the triumverate of teams just because of their willingness to spend.
    Last edited by Scrap Irony; 02-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I don't understand the Cubs, but the Yankees can buy any free agent they want. That in itself makes them a force and a member of the top five, IMO. At this point, I'd lump the Reds, Nats, Rays, and Rangers together just below the Nats, Cardinals, and Yankees. Each of those teams has holes (the Rays don't draw, the Rangers can't seem to find pitching, the Reds market size) that the Cardinals and Nats don't and the Yankees can outspend.

I could also see Boston, LAA, and LAD ahead of the triumverate of teams just because of their willingness to spend.
    This sounds about right. Money is going to trump a lot. You can buy away mistakes and add talent at almost any point that a lot of other teams simply can't.

I think the Rays have the smartest front office in the game, so that is going to get them a long way, but as Scrap noted, they don't draw and it limits their spending and ability to retain top end talent long term.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    espn.com released their MLB Future Power Rankings, and six franchies are listed ahead of the Reds. In order, from first to sixth... Cardinals, Rangers, Rays, Nats, Yankees, Cubs. Majors, minors, finances, mobility and management are all taken into account and ranked, then a score is added together. I get the Cards, Rangers, Rays and Nats being ahead of us (although I'd probably put us ahead of TB due to their financial concerns), but the Cubs and Yankees? Really? The Yankees are old and brittle with not much on the farm of immediate help, and the Cubs are pretty much starting from rock bottom. Sure, Theo might build them into a power, and he's made some good moves so far. But enough to put them ahead of the Reds? I find that to be a joke.

What would your rankings look like? How far or low would you have the Reds, given the above criteria? Which franchises are set up for the most success over the next five years or so?
    For the Cubs, it's all about the finances IMO. They've made some solid moves the past couple of years, but they're going to have a ton of payroll room right when they need it. I've always been afraid that someone with some common sense would take over that franchise. They've got money to burn and could easily be a powerhouse if run properly. I fear they may be heading that way.

i didnt realize the Cardinals have a good farm system right now. Who do they have that stands out??

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    i didnt realize the Cardinals have a good farm system right now. Who do they have that stands out??
    Several guys, but the one to truly worry about is Oscar Taveras. Pujols lite. And not lite by a whole lot. The dude can flat out RAKE.

I'm surprised the Dodgers aren't ahead of the Reds, with their current team and money.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

9. Likes:

Gunner44 (02-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This sounds about right. Money is going to trump a lot. You can buy away mistakes and add talent at almost any point that a lot of other teams simply can't.

I think the Rays have the smartest front office in the game, so that is going to get them a long way, but as Scrap noted, they don't draw and it limits their spending and ability to retain top end talent long term.
    I am beginning to think more and more that money is less of a factor than people believe. Anymore, money just gives you a better chance of hanging onto homegrown talent. It seems like more and more the big time free agent signings just don't pan out the way they are supposed to.

I would rank the future rankings mainly based on current team, farm system, and quality of the front office, then money would fall in.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I'd have to think that the Cubs are ranked so high because of Theo. That, and the odds of a team going forever and ever without winning a World Series are pretty bad. I figure they'll win at least one by the year 2429.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Several guys, but the one to truly worry about is Oscar Taveras. Pujols lite. And not lite by a whole lot. The dude can flat out RAKE.
    Oscar Taveras is to Frank Taveras as Albert Pujols is to Luis Pujols.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

If we still had Grandal, Boxberger and Yonder Alonso we would no doubt have the best farm system in baseball. It's a testament to how great the organization is ran that the Reds are still ranked so highly on lists like this after trading those guys away. Still having guys in the minors like Corcino, Cingrani, Stephenson, Rodriguez, Lutz, Hamilton and Soto blows my mind. It's almost surreal seeing the organization being awesome from top to bottom after years of accepting the small market excuse.
    Last edited by joshua; 02-28-2013 at 11:19 PM.

He actually has slightly better numbers in the minors than Pujols though Pujols had a slightly better strikeout rate. By no means will he be Pujols but I'll take a Vlad Guerrero type player for 10 years.

One thing to watch out for in the next couple of years is that the Cards haven't signed their big TV deal yet. Their current deal is up in 2017 I believe and they will probably make a killing in the next deal.

Something to consider with regard to these rankings: One of the three "Top Analysts" who compiled them for ESPN is good 'ol Leatherpants, Jim Bowden. Keith Law and Buster Olney are the other two.

So, grain of salt.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    One thing to watch out for in the next couple of years is that the Cards haven't signed their big TV deal yet. Their current deal is up in 2017 I believe and they will probably make a killing in the next deal.
    I, like every other Reds fan, diarized that long ago.

Only 1499 sleeps to go, I can hardly sleep waiting for it to happen.

17. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I, like every other Reds fan, diarized that long ago.

Only 1499 sleeps to go, I can hardly sleep waiting for it to happen.

2017 will get here sooner than you think

Turn Off Ads?