Re: Cactus League 2/28/13 Split Squad Rox/Snakes

You da mon, dave. Nice report.

2. Likes:

SirFelixCat (03-03-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

March 4th. Reds at Diamondbacks:

Pitching:
    Johnny Cueto looks good in three innings of work. He gives up just one run on a walk and a hit. He strikes out four.
    Marshall works a scoreless fourth.
    Parra and Hensley work the next 2 and two-thirds and get little help from their defense.
    They give up a combined 6 runs, only two were earned.
    Partch on to the last out of the seventh promptly gives up a run-scoring single. He whiffs the next batter to end a four-run Snake 7th.

Hitting:
    Yawn.
    Cozart with a solo shot in the first.
    Paul doubles and comes around to score on a Henry Rodriguez grounder to short.
    Jason Donald has a single for the only other Reds' hit through seven.

Fielding:
    Cozart with a fielding error.
    Henry Rodriguez with a pair of throwing errors, making four errors for the spring for Rodriguez.

Baserunning:
    You know it is Spring Training by the simple fact that two Diamondbacks have stolen bases against Johnny Cueto.

Corky Miller singles to start things off for the Reds in the 8th, as they trail 7-2. Tucker Barnhart flares to right for the first out. Burriss lines to Campana for the second out. Donald bounces out meekly to the mound.

Daniel "Little Johnny Cueto" Corcino will work the bottom half of the 8th. Tony Campana grounds hard to the right side. Burriss makes a diving stop and guns him out at first. Can of corn to shallow right for the second out. A sharp comebacker and Corcino has himself a 1-2-3 innings.

Last chance for the Reds' sticks. Five to tie and six to take the lead. 2-10 looks like a certainty. Lutz with a routine fly to Campana in center. A glimmer of hope as Paul garners his second hit of the game, slapping a single to left. Derrick Robinson with a sharp single to left. Yay! Henry Rodriguez bounces into a force at third. Down to their last out. LaMarre lines hard to right. LaMarre is 0-2 in the game but hit the ball hard both times. And this one belongs to the Snakes.

Reality show being taped out here. Former first-round choice, and LSU quarterback, Josh Booty is working Arizona broadcaster Tom Candiotti on a knuckleball. Charlie Hough and Tim Wakefield are also involved.

NOTE: Dusty Baker was talking to Marty Brennaman in the pre-game and stated that he would like to see the Reds scoring more runs. Eight runs total in their last five games. I wonder why he would say that if spring training doesn't matter?
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-04-2013 at 05:56 PM.

5. Likes:

jmac (03-04-2013)

Great reports, Dave. Keep them coming.

Since the multitudes will say "it's only Spring Training," and "Small sample size," I will refrain from being alarmed over the Reds' 2-10 record, and fully realize that our main cogs have only played 2-3 games at the most. However, it sure is disheartening to see the L everyday.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

part of BBN

I just got in and read about this incident today on twitter.
    If it has been posted, sorry as I made a quick check but may have overlooked it !

In the original Reds lineup posted on Monday vs. the D-backs, Shin-Soo Choo was leading off as the designated hitter. That was the plan manager Dusty Baker wanted to go with because Choo had missed a few days with tight right quadriceps and he didn’t want to use him in center field just yet.

Arizona manager Kirk Gibson had a different plan.

“He wanted his pitcher to hit and I wanted Choo to DH,” Baker said. “They sent over word that’s what they wanted to do. It would have been fine with me to do both. It’s up to the home team of what they want to do. Usually here we let teams DH early.”

In the new lineup, 2B Cesar Izturis — originally the second hitter — moved up to bat leadoff and the rest of the order moved up one spot.

Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto had to bat for the Reds and struck out looking in the third inning.

“That was a big surprise. I was not allowed to swing the bat,” Cueto said.

For all the desire of wanting Brandon McCarthy to hit, the D-backs starter also had one plate appearance in the third and grounded out to the catcher.

At the exchange of lineup cards, there were words between the two managers. Gibson offered to shake hands and Baker refused.

“We didn’t have a very pleasant encounter at home plate,” Baker said. “That’s how it goes. It’s over.”

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I just got in and read about this incident today on twitter.
    If it has been posted, sorry as I made a quick check but may have overlooked it !

In the original Reds lineup posted on Monday vs. the D-backs, Shin-Soo Choo was leading off as the designated hitter. That was the plan manager Dusty Baker wanted to go with because Choo had missed a few days with tight right quadriceps and he didn’t want to use him in center field just yet.

Arizona manager Kirk Gibson had a different plan.

“He wanted his pitcher to hit and I wanted Choo to DH,” Baker said. “They sent over word that’s what they wanted to do. It would have been fine with me to do both. It’s up to the home team of what they want to do. Usually here we let teams DH early.”

In the new lineup, 2B Cesar Izturis — originally the second hitter — moved up to bat leadoff and the rest of the order moved up one spot.

Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto had to bat for the Reds and struck out looking in the third inning.

“That was a big surprise. I was not allowed to swing the bat,” Cueto said.

For all the desire of wanting Brandon McCarthy to hit, the D-backs starter also had one plate appearance in the third and grounded out to the catcher.

At the exchange of lineup cards, there were words between the two managers. Gibson offered to shake hands and Baker refused.

“We didn’t have a very pleasant encounter at home plate,” Baker said. “That’s how it goes. It’s over.”
    Seems like something pretty trivial to get upset over. If the home team gets to make the call then what is the rub?

Todays game against the Angels is on FSN-West and MLBTV. So we can finally see a Reds game this spring.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Seems like something pretty trivial to get upset over. If the home team gets to make the call then what is the rub?
    It's spring training. Most teams let other teams do what they want in order to help their teams get ready for the regular season. I've even seen teams let other teams bring players back into a game after they were replaced. There was no reason for Gibson to deny the Reds to use a DH, other tha being a jerk.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It's spring training. Most teams let other teams do what they want in order to help their teams get ready for the regular season. I've even seen teams let other teams bring players back into a game after they were replaced. There was no reason for Gibson to deny the Reds to use a DH, other tha being a jerk.
    That still does not mean you act like a petulant child and refuse to shake hands. After all, like you said, it is spring training.

The Los Angeles Angels of Arizona via Anaheim are hosting the Reds:

Mike Leake is not going quietly into that good night, pitching three scoreless innings. He gave up four hits in three innings, while striking out two. Leake owes Mesoraco a t-shirt for picking Kendrick off of first and gunning down Mike Trout trying to steal.
    Aroldis Chapman toed the rubber next. He worked two innings giving up a solo homer to the first batter he faced, Howie Kendrick. His two-inning line looked like this. 2IP 3h 1ER 1BB 1K 1HR.
    Wilkin de la Rosa with a scoreless frame.
    To say that Josh Ravin got roughed up would be kind. He faced six batters and five of them reached. All five scored. He recorded one out.
    Sharky Rogers came in to clean things up in the sixth.
    Nick Christiani looked good in his only inning. A nice play by Jason Donald helped out.

Hitting:
    I am assuming Dusty Baker shook someone's hand today as Shin-Soo Choo led off as the DH. Choo went one for three. Billy Hamilton went 0-3 and is now hitting a meaningless .111. Votto singled and walked. Jay Bruce smote a pair of solo home runs. Good to see. Heisey doubled and came around on a single by Cesar Izturis.
    Brantley with some nice words about Yorman Rodriguez. Rodriguez walked and hit his second bomb of the spring. Brantley says there is no doubt that Yorman can hit a fastball.

And this one does not belong to the Reds.

Wednesday's game will be played under the lights.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-05-2013 at 06:10 PM.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-05-2013),SirFelixCat (03-06-2013)

Back to a little baseball:

Reds have three runs on five hits (all singles) through five. Derrick Robinson, Yorman Rodriguez, Devin Mesoraco have one each, Neftali Soto a pair of singles.
    Homer Bailey started and went two innings. He gave up three runs on fours. Only one run was earned as Henry (Manos de Piedras) Rodriguez made his fifth error of the spring.
    Manny Parra is pitching his way to Louisville, giving up two runs in his two innings of work. Marshall pitched a perfect fifth, whiffing a pair.
    Broxton works a scoreless sixth.

Looks as if the Reds have few if any regulars playing. Nice for them. Off Thursday, rain Friday, off Saturday. A mini-vacation.
    Cesar Izturis homered to make it 5-4 Brewers after six.

Ondrusek worked a scoreless seventh, walking one and giving up a hit.
    Arredondo came on in the 8th and promptly gave up a leadoff double. A one-out single put runners on the corners. Jose escapes on a 3-2-5-4 double play. Won't see many of those I am guessing.

In the bottom of the 8th, Lutz singled, Hessman reached on an error and Negron walked to load them up. Izturis singled in one and the second run came home on a Corky Miller fielder's choice.

J.J. Hoover worked a perfect ninth to record the save, striking out a pair. It would be a crime if he started the year in AAA.

ATOBTTR!
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-09-2013 at 06:48 PM.

15. Likes:

SirFelixCat (03-09-2013)

Hoover, imo, is the reliever (obviously counting Chapman as a starter) I have the most faith in, for the back end. I think he should be the close/8th inning guy w/ Marshall being the 7th inning reliever.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Hoover, imo, is the reliever (obviously counting Chapman as a starter) I have the most faith in, for the back end. I think he should be the close/8th inning guy w/ Marshall being the 7th inning reliever.
    I agree as far as Hoover being at least the 8th inning guy to start out. If Chapman is indeed our starter, I wish Dusty would use Marshall/Broxton as a matchup 9th inning thing.
    Take the opening series for example. Pujols at bat, top of the ninth with a runner on and Reds up a run. I wouldnt feel comfortable with him facing Marshall. Likewise same situation and Hamilton up, I would rather see Marshall in than Broxton.
    Probably doesnt matter though, as Dusty is always big on numbers and getting guys stats etc. Well, at least in the past, he would mention this on interviews after the games.

Hoover reminds me of Sam LeCure in his approach, just with better stuff. He doesn't nibble. Just goes right after the hitters.

A little Sunday afternoon basketball and the sun is shining here today.

Bats:
    A leadoff hitter that can get on base. This will take some getting used to. Choo is 3 for 3 so far today. Choo has two singles, a double and a stolen base. Cozart is in the two-spot doing what he does best, leaving folks on. 0 for 2 with 5 LOB. The Toddfather has two hits, including a solo jack. Hanigan is 2 for 2 as well.

Arms:
    Johnny went 4 innings today. He gave up 2 runs on three hits and three walks, while striking out the last two batters he faced.

Marty is 'stunned' that the Reds are playing Oakland twice in 2013. I guess it doesn't take much these days.

Reds lead 4-2 going into the fifth.

A one-out single by Ludwick and Frazier's third hit of the game - a double - put the Reds in business with one out. Cesar Izturis continues his hot spring with a two-out hit that plates a pair. Reds lead 6-2. Mesoraco hits for Hanigan and is promptly plunked.

Hensley pitches a perfect bottom of the fifth, striking out two.

Choo leads off the sixth with his fourth hit of the game and then swipes second. Cozart strikes out. Bruce doubles and brings home a run. 7-2.
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-10-2013 at 06:03 PM.

20. Likes:

Tadasimha (03-10-2013),WVRedsFan (03-10-2013)

Mat Latos on the mound for the Reds.

Dee Gordon singles, steals second and scores on a Mark Ellis single. Latos settles down to get Kemp swinging and get Gonzalez to gound into a 6-4-3.

Choo bounces out. A Cozart single followed by a Votto walks puts runners on first and second with one out. Ludwick strikes out looking on a pitch that was high per Cowboy. Bruce pops to second to end the threat.

Easy second for Latos. Strike out, pop up, can of corn.

Easier second for Beckett. Pop up, soft grounder, punch out.

Mat is dealing tonight as he strikes out the side in the third.

Olivo stirs the desert air and then heads back to the dugout for out number one. Shin-Soo Choo rips a slow curve ball DEEEEEEP over the right-field wall to tie things up at one. Cozart grounds to his opposite number. Votto ropes one to the third baseman who catches it in self defense. Game tied at one.

Dodgers have a stout 3/4 in the persons of Kemp and Gonzalez. Incidentally, the Dodgers' 3-4-5 goes R/L/L. Baker smirks at Mattingly's lack of baseball knowledge.

Mat Latos rolls along in the fourth getting Ellis to ground out and striking out Kemp. Gonzalez reaches on a one-hopper to Cozart. Brantley thought it should have been scored a hit. Bruce tracks down a line drive off the bat Ethier for out number three.

Ludwick still searching for the key, strikes out. Bruce flies out to left. Frazier grounds out. Easy inning for Beckett.

It looks as if Latos' night is done. 4IP 2H (singles by the first two batters) 1ER 0BB 6K.

Sam LeCure will come on in the top of the fifth. Fly ball to left. Fly ball to right. K. 1-2-3.

Spring training attendance is down 35% so far in 2013.

Hanigan Ks. Burriss draws a walk. Beckett is coming out. Paco Rodriguez is on. He is a southpaw. Burriss steals second. Olivo lines to center. Burriss steals third. Heisey comes on for Choo and takes a called third.

Top of the sixth and we have a new team for the Reds:
    Soto 1st
    H. Rodriguez 2nd
    Hannahan 3rd
    Izturis SS
    Paul LF
    Heisey CF
    Lutz RF
    Mesoraco C

A ground ball deflected off of Lecure puts Amezaga at first and then Sam throws a bunted ball away for an error as Henry Rodriguez did not get over there in time to cover first. Dodgers have runners at second and third with nobody out. Ellis strikes out. Kemp strikes out. I think Marty has found himself a new whipping boy in Rodriguez. If we set up a minor league whipping boy prospect, Rodriguez will easily top that list. Van Slyke grounds out to first. Great comeback by Sam LeCure.

Xavier Paul singles, following ground outs by Izturis and Soto, and stands at first with two down. Lutz booms a rocket off of Ted Lilly that goes all the way to the wall in right-center. Paul scores and Lutz winds up at third. Hannahan Stubbs for out number three. 2-1 Reds.

Manny Parra gives up a line single to the lefty Ethier. Two fly balls and a ground ball later and the inning is over.

Mesoraco with an infield single to start the Reds seventh. He is forced by Henry Rodriguez. Donalds hits a bullet to third and Rodriguez is doubled off of first on some poor baserunning per Cowboy.

Ondrusek on and he strikes out the first batter. Ted Lilly singles. A double play ball to short but the Reds only get one as Rodriguez makes a poor relay throw. Marty with the obligatory verbal whip crack on Rodriguez. Kemp grounds to Soto as Ondrusek hangs a goose egg.

Heisey works a walk to lead off the Reds' 8th. Izturis with a ground double down the line. Runners on second and third. Soto pops up on the infield. Paul is intentionally walked to juice the bases. Lutz grounds to first. Van Slyke comes home for the force but the catcher comes off the plate too soon in an attempt to double Lutz. Bases still juiced as Heisey scores and the Reds lead 3-1. Hannahan strikes out for out number two. Devin Mesoraco is en fuego as his double - a rocket to right-center - clears the bases. He is now hitting .471 with 9 ribeyes. 6-1 good guys. JJ Hoover is warming up and will probably come into the game in the 9th. Broadcasters complimenting Mesoraco's defense this spring. They also say he is much more selective at the plate. Rodriguez Ks looking. On to the ninth, leading 6-1.

Screaming liner to left-center sends Van Slyke to second with nobody out. Hoover strikes out Matt Angle. Infield hit puts runners on the corners with one out. Wallach is struck out on a 1-2 pitch but Hoover does not get the call. On 2-2, Wallach lines a single to right. 6-2. Castellanos flies out to Heisey as Herrera moves to third. Hoover having trouble with his breaking pitch tonight. Lutz hauls one in in right field for the third out.

ATOBTTR
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-13-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Turn Off Ads?