Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Ok, so that justifies blasting fans, the customers? It is true that Cincy fans are a bunch of whiny losers?
    I 100% believe that Cincinnati sports fans feel a big "why us" when things happen, especially those that are roughly my age (30 and under). We haven't had a single championship in our lifetime. We have had our best Bengals team go out and lose their starting quarterback on the first play of the stinking game. Oh, and the starting wide receiver on the same play. They have had the #1 basketball team in the country with the #1 player in the country break his leg in the conference tournament and miss out on the NCAA tournament because of it. We have had a no hitter thrown against us in the first game of the playoffs we had been to in 15 years. We then had our ACE throw 7 entire pitches before getting injured and having to leave the game only to see us then go out and blow a 2-0 series lead at home.

Those of you who are older may not feel that way. You have seen World Series and Super Bowl appearances. Heck, you probably have even seen the Bearcats final four run. Guys my age? Crushing disappointments and several on the craziest things you can imagine. Are we whiney? Sure, maybe. But we feel that way for a reason. Cincinnati sports has kicked us in the boys, repeatedly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I 100% believe that Cincinnati sports fans feel a big "why us" when things happen, especially those that are roughly my age (30 and under). We haven't had a single championship in our lifetime. We have had our best Bengals team go out and lose their starting quarterback on the first play of the stinking game. Oh, and the starting wide receiver on the same play. They have had the #1 basketball team in the country with the #1 player in the country break his leg in the conference tournament and miss out on the NCAA tournament because of it. We have had a no hitter thrown against us in the first game of the playoffs we had been to in 15 years. We then had our ACE throw 7 entire pitches before getting injured and having to leave the game only to see us then go out and blow a 2-0 series lead at home.

Those of you who are older may not feel that way. You have seen World Series and Super Bowl appearances. Heck, you probably have even seen the Bearcats final four run. Guys my age? Crushing disappointments and several on the craziest things you can imagine. Are we whiney? Sure, maybe. But we feel that way for a reason. Cincinnati sports has kicked us in the boys, repeatedly.
    So who deserves to get bashed in the media, the fans or the teams that haven't been able to win a playoff series (or game in the case of the Bengals) in 17 years?

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    So who deserves to get bashed in the media, the fans or the teams that haven't been able to win a playoff series (or game in the case of the Bengals) in 17 years?
    Depends on the situation. "Bash" is a strong word, but I have no problem pointing out that the fans woe is me attitude at the first sign of trouble. It's not about distributing blame but rather pointing out that it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm not a fan of a city. I have favorite teams in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, and London.

And any city that feels the "why us" feeling has never seen Cleveland sports.

Cincinnati sports fans have it 1000 times better than the Cleveland sports fans.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I'm not a fan of a city. I have favorite teams in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, Denver, and London.

And any city that feels the "why us" feeling has never seen Cleveland sports.

Cincinnati sports fans have it 1000 times better than the Cleveland sports fans.
    That's fine, but some people have way more affiliation with a city than individual teams. I was born in Cincinnati and have lived here all my life, so it means a lot to me and the teams are an extension of that.

But just because Cleveland has it bad doesn't mean other cities can't have it bad as well. Cincinnati has had some pretty nasty sports luck.

7. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That's fine, but some people have way more affiliation with a city than individual teams. I was born in Cincinnati and have lived here all my life, so it means a lot to me and the teams are an extension of that.

But just because Cleveland has it bad doesn't mean other cities can't have it bad as well. Cincinnati has had some pretty nasty sports luck.
    I agree with that. I myself have had terrible luck. I grew up with the Browns and Reds, so my sports life in the 90's and 2000's were terrible. When I started getting into hockey, I decided to become a bandwagon fan for once and actually be a fan of a winning team.I became an Avalanche fan since they had just won the Stanley Cup. They've been terrible ever since. So I decided to get into soccer as well. Decided to go with one of the big 4 teams, and chose Arsenal about 3 years ago. They've had 3 of the worst teams they've ever had the last 3 years.

I didn't mean to say that Cincinnati doesn't have it bad. Just go laugh at your Cleveland friends. It'll make it feel a little bit better.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Depends on the situation. "Bash" is a strong word, but I have no problem pointing out that the fans woe is me attitude at the first sign of trouble. It's not about distributing blame but rather pointing out that it happens.
    I don't know about "woe is me." Most of the people I know simply say "watch these 'blankety blanks' screw it up again."

All fans think this, regardless of their success. The BRM "couldn't win the big one" and had a big old monkey on its bank until they won game 7 in 1975. Now they are immortalized.

All fan bases are filled with Eeyoreitis. Why C. Trent thought it was appropriate to point that out when he did is still little more than a self righteous grandstanding from where I sit.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

11. Likes:

Hap (03-03-2013)

All fans think this, regardless of their success. The BRM "couldn't win the big one" and had a big old monkey on its bank until they won game 7 in 1975. Now they are immortalized.

All fan bases are filled with Eeyoreitis. Why C. Trent thought it was appropriate to point that out when he did is still little more than a self righteous grandstanding from where I sit.
    There is a difference between not winning the big one and the things I laid out above. Our teams couldn't win anything and then when they were finally good enough to actually get a real shot at it we wound up being no hit, our ACE throwing 7 pitches before being injured, the best player in college basketball breaking his leg in the last game before the tournament and our Pro-bowl QB tearing his ACL on the first play of the game.

13. Likes:

KYRedsFan (03-03-2013)

There is a difference between not winning the big one and the things I laid out above. Our teams couldn't win anything and then when they were finally good enough to actually get a real shot at it we wound up being no hit, our ACE throwing 7 pitches before being injured, the best player in college basketball breaking his leg in the last game before the tournament and our Pro-bowl QB tearing his ACL on the first play of the game.
    Again, most fan base Eeyore types could lay out these types of woe is us lists. I say it is so much seeking pity, which is pitiful.

Again, most fan base Eeyore types could lay out these types of woe is us lists. I say it is so much seeking pity, which is pitiful.
    What city has something like Kenyon Martin, Carson Palmer and Johnny Cueto all happening at the end of the season in the last 15 years?

What city has something like Kenyon Martin, Carson Palmer and Johnny Cueto all happening at the end of the season in the last 15 years?
    Don't forget Krumrie's leg snapping in half and Montana to Taylor in the super bowl. To borrow another writer's term, fans of the last 30 years or so have had an inordinate number of stomach punch games in following Cincy teams. It's not searching for pity, it's merely pointing out some freakishly painful losses in our few and far between chances on the national stage
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    My understanding is that CBS fired Rosecrans in Chattanooga and replaced him with George Thomas.

(btw, have you ever noticed how flat obscure Civil War jokes tend to fall?)

This is far and above a simple "like".

You sir, and a freaking genius.

The Rock of Chicamaugua for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by KYRedsFan View Post
    Don't forget Krumrie's leg snapping in half and Montana to Taylor in the super bowl. To borrow another writer's term, fans of the last 30 years or so have had an inordinate number of stomach punch games in following Cincy teams. It's not searching for pity, it's merely pointing out some freakishly painful losses in our few and far between chances on the national stage
    All of that was before my time....

Why don't you ask their fans who like to keep track of such things. Personally, it just sounds like a pity party. Its sports, things happen all along the way that fans won't let go of and swear that no fan is as unlucky as them in following their team.

"Oh, pooh, no fans have endured what we have had to endure."

Turn Off Ads?