Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Re: C. Trent to the Enquirer

I'm still trying to figure out what purpose was served by pointing out the pity party by the writer. While we all can apparently justifiably sit around, cry in our beers, and sing "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" in deep baritone, what was the purpose of the article, except to kick dirt on those who are having the pity party? Low blow is what I see.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Cleveland sports fans would laugh their collective arses off at Cincinnati sports fans complaining about bad luck. First of all, they haven't won a championship of any sort since the 50's. Then in more recent years, you have "The Fumble" and "The Drive" both against the Broncos preventing the Browns from going to Super Bowls in back-to-back years, Jose Mesa blowing a save that would have won the 1997 World Series (an error from former Red Tony Fernandez played a big role in the Tribe blowing the Series too), the Browns NOT EXISTING for three years because their owner moved their team to Baltimore, the Browns then becoming overall the worst team in the NFL since re-launching, LeBron dumping the Cavs on national TV, on and on and on. Just thinking about the bad luck that Cleveland has experienced makes me feel so much better about the luck Cincinnati has had.

And if you even mention the Cincinnati Royals ditching us ... I'll be forced to bring up UC winning back-to-back college basketball national titles in 1961 and '62. But as an Ohio State fan, I really don't want to have to bring that up, OK.

I know this was more about recent history. But the Bengals have made the playoffs back-to-back years. The Reds have won the NL Central title two out of the last three years and are one of the favorites in all of MLB this season. Also, it's "only" been 23 years since the Reds have won a World Series. I know to a fan that seems like ages, but with 30 teams in MLB, theoretically a team should only win a championship every 30 years. Just pointing out that people across the country would think it was foolish of Cincinnati sports fans to complain about bad luck. Yes, we've had more than our fair share, but there are cities that easily trump us. Cleveland being numero uno, of course.
    Those are all performance issues or "chokes" if you prefer. That's different than a critical injury where you're not at 100% in order to compete. Is it bad luck that Jose Mesa blows a save or if Ernest Byner fumbles or is it just a bad performance?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Glad to see this. I was a supporter when C. Trent started up his CNati site that never really took off. He had some kind words for my writing in the past, and I'm in his corner for his alt-country knowledge alone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what purpose was served by pointing out the pity party by the writer. While we all can apparently justifiably sit around, cry in our beers, and sing "nobody knows the trouble I've seen" in deep baritone, what was the purpose of the article, except to kick dirt on those who are having the pity party? Low blow is what I see.
    As I said, I'm convinced Trent is a Reds fan who was ticked off at how the series was trending and decided to lash out. Instead of lashing out at the team, he took the easy road and bashed the fans. Very strange looking back and reading his story (which I missed at the time). It's as if he was somehow giving some of the blame to the fans regarding the Reds' collapse.

"The Giants just came back and tied the Reds at 2-all. BTW, can you believe Cincinnati sports fans have experienced some bad luck and are a bit on edge about it? This is HUGE news. I'm sure I'll have a job at CBS for a long time and can continue to write awesome stories like this."

Stat geek...and proud
    As I said, I'm convinced Trent is a Reds fan "
    If that's the case, and I don't necessarily believe it to be so, then he is unprofessional. The media isn't allowed to be "fans." No cheering in the press box. I think he was just a writer looking for a story that maybe wasn't necessarily a big deal but he had a deadline to meet.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 03-05-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typo

As I said, I'm convinced Trent is a Reds fan who was ticked off at how the series was trending and decided to lash out. Instead of lashing out at the team, he took the easy road and bashed the fans. Very strange looking back and reading his story (which I missed at the time). It's as if he was somehow giving some of the blame to the fans regarding the Reds' collapse.

"The Giants just came back and tied the Reds at 2-all. BTW, can you believe Cincinnati sports fans have experienced some bad luck and are a bit on edge about it? This is HUGE news. I'm sure I'll have a job at CBS for a long time and can continue to write awesome stories like this."
    I never gave that stuff a thought, and I'm a Bengals fan also. One thing just doesn't have anything to do with the other.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Glad to see this. I was a supporter when C. Trent started up his CNati site that never really took off. He had some kind words for my writing in the past, and I'm in his corner for his alt-country knowledge alone.
    Same here. C. Trent was very good while the post was still around. I don't know if he is a Cincinnati fan per say, he is from Georgia or at least went to Georgia, but he given the Reds some pretty good coverage.

Its ironic in that he started CNati before places like ESPN Boston, NY, Chicago, etc really took off. Had he been in a larger market with the ability to draw in more revenues he may have succeeded.

More than anything else I like his writing and the fact that he holds up his end of the journalistic integrity, something a lot of writers have forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Same here. C. Trent was very good while the post was still around. I don't know if he is a Cincinnati fan per say, he is from Georgia or at least went to Georgia, but he given the Reds some pretty good coverage.

Its ironic in that he started CNati before places like ESPN Boston, NY, Chicago, etc really took off. Had he been in a larger market with the ability to draw in more revenues he may have succeeded.

More than anything else I like his writing and the fact that he holds up his end of the journalistic integrity, something a lot of writers have forgotten about.
    Afternoon papers allowed much greater freedom to their baseball writers die to the scores already being known, thus the Post gave rattle off a who's who list of awesome writers who graced the Reds beat for the Post. The Enquirer not so much.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I must disagree. In terms of ripping out a cities heart and inflicting trauma, the "Decision" trumps Cueto and Palmer.
    It's the NBA -- a gaping chest wound to the NBA psyche in a city other than Boston or LA still doesn't rate beyond a paper cut to the general sports psyche of a city.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

As I said, I'm convinced Trent is a Reds fan who was ticked off at how the series was trending and decided to lash out.
    Trent is a Kansas City Royals fan. He is also a devoted journalist who would not allow partisanship to overrule his professional integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    It's the NBA -- a gaping chest wound to the NBA psyche in a city other than Boston or LA still doesn't rate beyond a paper cut to the general sports psyche of a city.
    Generally I would agree. But LeBron transcends that.

Take a poll of 100000 each Clevelanders and Cincinnatians. Ask what the bigger gut punch to a city was. I bet LeBron wins that poll.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Take a poll of 100000 each Clevelanders and Cincinnatians. Ask what the bigger gut punch to a city was. I bet LeBron wins that poll.
    You're correct. And it wouldn't be close.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You're correct. And it wouldn't be close.
    Ask them how it would have felt to have LeBron blow his ACL in game one of the playoffs the year before he left.

They wouldn't know how it felt. Because it didn't happen. That basically happened to Cincinnati three times in the last 12 years to three different sports teams.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

LeBron isn't even the biggest "gut punch" in his own city's sports history.

I think you're underestimating how little your average citizen cares about the NBA compared to the NFL or Baseball.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    LeBron isn't even the biggest "gut punch" in his own city's sports history.

I think you're underestimating how little your average citizen cares about the NBA compared to the NFL or Baseball.
    I never said otherwise, but I do believe LeBron > Cueto.

Turn Off Ads?