Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: C. Trent to the Enquirer

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Why don't you ask their fans who like to keep track of such things. Personally, it just sounds like a pity party. Its sports, things happen all along the way that fans won't let go of and swear that no fan is as unlucky as them in following their team.

"Oh, pooh, no fans have endured what we have had to endure."
    I don't know fans of every team, but I don't recall any team in baseball losing their ACE in the first inning of the playoffs. I don't recall any team in football losing their All-Pro quarterback on the first play of the playoffs. I don't recall another college basketball team that was ranked #1 in the country lose the best player in the country in the last game before the NCAA tournament started. Cincinnati has had all of those things happen in the last 13 years. I really don't think this is some "pity party" as much as it just hard truth. Cincinnati sports have had some insanely bad luck in the last 15 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know fans of every team, but I don't recall any team in baseball losing their ACE in the first inning of the playoffs. I don't recall any team in football losing their All-Pro quarterback on the first play of the playoffs. I don't recall another college basketball team that was ranked #1 in the country lose the best player in the country in the last game before the NCAA tournament started. Cincinnati has had all of those things happen in the last 13 years. I really don't think this is some "pity party" as much as it just hard truth. Cincinnati sports have had some insanely bad luck in the last 15 years.
    Carson Palmer was never an All-Pro, and many would have considered Latos the ace of the staff the way he was throwing late in the year.

I think this is the subjectivity traderumor is driving at. I know you'll argue semantics here, but it's how we each spin it, and calling Carson Palmer an All-Pro and Cueto our "ACE" (which sounds like the lights out #1 many on here said he wasn't) shows how you're choosing to tell the story to yourself. I'm not as familiar with other cities' fanbases, but off the top of my head, Cleveland has had innumerable football meltdowns, lost the best basketball player maybe ever (who so happened to have grown up nearby), and Mesa'd at least one playoff appearance.

Cincinnati certainly does have an unfortunate recent history, but to paint it as some historic period of misfortune seems hyperbolic.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Carson Palmer was never an All-Pro

2005 and 2006 beg to differ.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PalmCa00.htm

5. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-04-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Carson Palmer was never an All-Pro, and many would have considered Latos the ace of the staff the way he was throwing late in the year.

I think this is the subjectivity traderumor is driving at. I know you'll argue semantics here, but it's how we each spin it, and calling Carson Palmer an All-Pro and Cueto our "ACE" (which sounds like the lights out #1 many on here said he wasn't) shows how you're choosing to tell the story to yourself. I'm not as familiar with other cities' fanbases, but off the top of my head, Cleveland has had innumerable football meltdowns, lost the best basketball player maybe ever (who so happened to have grown up nearby), and Mesa'd at least one playoff appearance.

Cincinnati certainly does have an unfortunate recent history, but to paint it as some historic period of misfortune seems hyperbolic.
    LeBron left as a free agent. That isn't the same thing as losing him on the first play of the playoffs or the last game before the playoffs to an injury.

The Browns have had some tough ones. They seem to rival the Bengals in terms of historical badness.

Cleveland doesn't have anything close to Kenyon Martin though, because they don't really have a school up there like Cincinnati.

Jose Mesa... Roy Halladay. Johnny Cueto and 7 pitches.

Cleveland still seems to come up short.

I must disagree. In terms of ripping out a cities heart and inflicting trauma, the "Decision" trumps Cueto and Palmer.

And I don't even follow the NBA. Go to Anytown USA and ask them to compare. They'll say "Johnny who?".

Though certainly all events listed were stomach punches to fans of said teams.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I must disagree. In terms of ripping out a cities heart and inflicting trauma, the "Decision" trumps Cueto and Palmer.

And I don't even follow the NBA. Go to Anytown USA and ask them to compare. They'll say "Johnny who?".

Though certainly all events listed were stomach punches to fans of said teams.
    They were lucky as all get out that LeBron stayed there for 7 years. Hometown kid leaving for free agency...yeah, we got that. It happened with Pete Rose in 1978-9. That's much easier to prepare for than an injury right before a post season series

Quote Originally Posted by Hap View Post
    Exactly. Sometimes I wonder where fans come up with such stuff as "Carson was never a Pro Bowler". Do they just make it up?

The Bo Jackson Curse.

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Exactly. Sometimes I wonder where fans come up with such stuff as "Carson was never a Pro Bowler". Do they just make it up?
    Nobody said that. He said he was never an All-Pro. Different thing. Palmer has never been on the All-Pro team.

12. Likes:

BillDoran (03-03-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    The Bo Jackson Curse.
    So we have that and the Pete Rose curse?

So did all-pro and pro-bowler get mixed up? I think that's what happened.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cleveland sports fans would laugh their collective arses off at Cincinnati sports fans complaining about bad luck. First of all, they haven't won a championship of any sort since the 50's. Then in more recent years, you have "The Fumble" and "The Drive" both against the Broncos preventing the Browns from going to Super Bowls in back-to-back years, Jose Mesa blowing a save that would have won the 1997 World Series (an error from former Red Tony Fernandez played a big role in the Tribe blowing the Series too), the Browns NOT EXISTING for three years because their owner moved their team to Baltimore, the Browns then becoming overall the worst team in the NFL since re-launching, LeBron dumping the Cavs on national TV, on and on and on. Just thinking about the bad luck that Cleveland has experienced makes me feel so much better about the luck Cincinnati has had.

And if you even mention the Cincinnati Royals ditching us ... I'll be forced to bring up UC winning back-to-back college basketball national titles in 1961 and '62. But as an Ohio State fan, I really don't want to have to bring that up, OK.

I know this was more about recent history. But the Bengals have made the playoffs back-to-back years. The Reds have won the NL Central title two out of the last three years and are one of the favorites in all of MLB this season. Also, it's "only" been 23 years since the Reds have won a World Series. I know to a fan that seems like ages, but with 30 teams in MLB, theoretically a team should only win a championship every 30 years. Just pointing out that people across the country would think it was foolish of Cincinnati sports fans to complain about bad luck. Yes, we've had more than our fair share, but there are cities that easily trump us. Cleveland being numero uno, of course.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 03-04-2013 at 03:28 AM.

I will give you that some cities have had worse teams across the board over the last 25 years (though there can't be that many given the Bengals and their 3 playoff appearances to go with the Reds 3), but worse luck? I am just not seeing it, especially when looking at the last 25 years or so.

for you Browns fans, there is Red Right 88, Jim Brown quitting at the zenith of his career, and Mike Phipp's 5 INTs in a 14-13 playoff loss to the 17-0 Dolphins.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I love the hijacking of this thread -- I think its fair to say that the recent sports histories of both Cleveland and Cincinnati stink for a number of reasons, it's like comparing death by cancer and death by heart attack. No one would pick either and I think it is fair enough to say that both cities would prefer the recent sports history of Boston.
    Where we gonna go?

Turn Off Ads?