Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 4/14

Birthdays: 4/14

Huge day today...

Reds:

Steve Avery (42) -A Red in 1999...Made his major league debut against the Reds at age 20 and got raked...At age 21 became the youngest pitcher to win a playoff game...At one point had a string of 22 1/3 scoreless innings in the NLCS.

Brad Pennington (43) -One of those unfortunate souls to have a season ERA of infinity- in 1998 he pitched in only one game, gave up a run and failed to retire a batter. The rest of his career, to be honest, wasn't all that hot either. 1995 was his Reds season.

Chris Welch (57) -My favorite current Reds announcer.

Pete Rose (71) -Despite evrything he's done to tarnish his reputation and generally screw up his life, he sure was a blast to watch, and that's what I try to remember.

Marty Keough (78) -Bench OF for the Reds in the early 1970s. Father of P Matt Keough. They both played in Japan; not sure if any other father-son duos have done that. Later a Cardinal scout.

Others:

Greg Maddux (46) -The thinking man's great pitcher. When he was asked why he threw so many pitches from the stretch during warm-ups, he replied that he figured that the most important pitches he threw during the game would be thrown from the stretch...Has a son and a daughter who answer to the nicknames "Satchel" and "Paige".

David Justice (46) -As you can see, born on exactly the same day as his teammate Maddux...Was signed to play himself in Moneyball but later was replaced.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 4/14

Greg Maddux had $3 million in Allen Stanford's bank in Antigua. He pulled them out three weeks before it collapsed.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Totally agree with you about Rose. He will always be my favorite player but not my favorite human being. Just really sad what he did to himself. He could have been a great ambassador for the game and been extremely popular throughout baseball instead of being reviled like he is now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He could have been a great ambassador for the game and been extremely popular throughout baseball instead of being reviled like he is now.
    My feelings as well. However, I really don't think Pete cares a great deal about that...mainly just interested in the $$$ aspect of any situation.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Chris Welch (57) -My favorite current Reds announcer.
    Same here, chico. Great minds think alike.

Turn Off Ads?