Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I know it's only February but.......

Re: I know it's only February but.......

Reds lose 3-2 to KC. Not worried about wins/losses, but it would be nice to see some regulars besides Votto start hitting the ball. The regulars who played today were: Bruce 0-2 and 0 for spring. Ludwick 0-4, Frazier 0-1, Cozart 0-2. Reserves: Heisey 1-2, Hannahan 1-2, Mesoraco 1-1 (HR), X. Paul 0-2. The invitees had 6 hits between them (Negron with a HR). (Note: Billy Hamilton has struck out 6 times in 12 AB. Not good!)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Reds lose 3-2 to KC. Not worried about wins/losses, but it would be nice to see some regulars besides Votto start hitting the ball. The regulars who played today were: Bruce 0-2 and 0 for spring. Ludwick 0-4, Frazier 0-1, Cozart 0-2. Reserves: Heisey 1-2, Hannahan 1-2, Mesoraco 1-1 (HR), X. Paul 0-2. The invitees had 6 hits between them (Negron with a HR). (Note: Billy Hamilton has struck out 6 times in 12 AB. Not good!)

And at this point in spring, pitchers are WAY ahead of the hitters.

All I want is the team to stay healthy thru the spring. I couldn't give a rats ass about anything stats related, whatsoever.

Clayton Kershaw currently has a 7.20 ERA. Stephen Stasburg has a 5.20 ERA. And the "vaunted" Jackie Bradley is 2nd in the majors in hitting at .570. Devin Mesoraco is outhitting Joey Votto. Spring training stats are beyond meaningless.

Why? Is there some proven correlation between ST "start hitting the ball" and regular season success?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Health on Opening Day >>>>> Spring Training stats

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It seems to me that most of these losses have been attributed to guys who won't be on the starting day roster anyway.

I check the box scores to see how the 25 man roster guys are doing, and that's about it. And I hope and pray nobody gets injured.

8. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-04-2013)

The 50's NY Yankees...were regularly below .500 in ST, while Washington....who had to find ways to sell tickets...would lead the GFL in wins, several times. They got a nice Palm Tree and Pineapple to take back to the capital for their troubles.

Like everyone has been saying. Stay healthy and at least we do not have to worry about the next Jose Manzanillo? was his name? back in 2002...making the team beacuse of a great ST and being done by April.

10. Likes:

jmac (03-02-2013)

Being concerned about spring training wins and losses is for kids.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Remember that one time Jimmy Anderson had a great spring, and was poised to be our "ace"? Yeahhhhh. It's spring training. Means nothing.

13. Likes:

jmac (03-04-2013),SirFelixCat (03-04-2013)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Remember that one time Jimmy Anderson had a great spring, and was poised to be our "ace"?
    I note that we're about as far removed chronologically and spiritually from that season as the 1990 Reds were from the dreadful 1982 season.
    /r/reds

15. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-04-2013)

Remind me of the name of the pitcher who had the stellar ST and was the mirage we all feared...used to hit himself in the cup with the ball?

Josias Manzanillo?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Remind me of the name of the pitcher who had the stellar ST and was the mirage we all feared...used to hit himself in the cup with the ball?

Josias Manzanillo?
    Yep, that's him.

He gave up the double that Junior had to dive for and ended up dislocating his shoulder. And then when he finally got the 3rd out he jumped off the mound and pumped his fist like he'd just closed out Game 7 of the World Series. I've always disliked him since that day.
    Last edited by The Operator; 03-05-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2-10? Does this say anything about the lack of depth in our organization?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    2-10? Does this say anything about the lack of depth in our organization?
    These 12 games do not cause me to reevaluate the organizational depth.

The Reds are not deep at the AAA level, but they are in a position to let the 25 man ride for a few years until the talent percolates up the levels.

Does it make you feel better that on the video on the Sundeck thread Jonah Keri says the Reds just may be the best team in baseball? (Just trying to look at the bright side)

I literally am not following the spring training stats/scores at all right now, because it doesn't matter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (03-05-2013),reds44 (03-05-2013),Revering4Blue (03-05-2013),RichRed (03-05-2013),Roy Tucker (03-25-2013)

Turn Off Ads?