Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Credentials for Redszone?

Credentials for Redszone?

So in the shower this morning, I wondering whether a member or two of Redszone could become credentialed as media to cover the Reds for the site and what it would entail. My thought was that one or two members could do an attached blog that would be a Reds report with daily postings about the Reds. There are constant complaints about the coverage of the Reds so why not directly improve it?

What would be obstacles? (Money of course)
    What would be the rewards?
    What would be the costs?

I imagine out of town travel would be nearly impossible but if we had a daily credentialed ballpark presence it would certainly lead to improved contacts and inside information and understanding.

Here is what the Reds media guide says about credentials:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/f...edia_guide.jsp

Media Credentials
    Cincinnati Reds media credentials will be issued only to reporters or photographers for accredited media.Reds season credentials only will be issued to those media outlets that cover the Reds on a daily basis.Credentials requests can be made online at https://credentials.mlb.com. Please allow 24-hour notice for alldaily credential requests. Under no circumstances are media credentials to be transferred from person to
    person. Violation of this policy will result in notification of the Major League office of the violation, dismissal of the media member from Great American Ball Park and confiscation of the violator’s media credential for
    the remainder of the season.
    Media Credential Pickup
    Members of the media can pick up approved daily credentials inside Gate 3 at Great American Ball Park’sPete Rose Way entrance, located adjacent to U.S. Bank Arena on the east side of the facility.
    Press Box
    The writing and broadcast press box is located on Level 3 of Great American Ball Park. The press box is open3 hours and 30 minutes prior to gametime. The press dining room, located on the press box level, is open 2hours prior to gametime. A delicious buffet dinner is available for purchase.
    Clubhouse Access
    Only media with approved credentials have access to the clubhouses. The clubhouses are open 3 hoursand 30 minutes prior to the start of each game and close 1 hour prior to the start of each game. Following
    the game, the clubhouses will open no later than 10 minutes after the final out. The home and visiting teamclubhouses are located on Field Level. The Reds’ dugout is located on the first base side, the visitors’ dugouton the third base side. Until batting practice is over, media can access the field through the tunnels adjacentto each clubhouse. After batting practice is over, access to and from the field may be made only through thetunnel on the outfield side of the third base dugout. Members of the media are not permitted in the training
    room, players’ lounge or equipment areas
    Does anyone have any experience in this area? Is something realistic? Are other blog only sites credentialed? It might be a great way for a college or journalism masters student to get a foot in the door.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Credentials for Redszone?

I'm open to keep flushing out this topic. We would not be able to fly/lodge anyone down there, so it would probably need to be someone local - and willing to do it for free/experience.

I'd imagine that getting credentials as a blogger is much different than when writing for the paper. That being said, the team is very generous to bloggers and treats them very well. Some of the guys at the Reds blog I write for have gotten free tickets or passes to do different stuff (tours of the park and clubhouse before games etc) but have never been given press credentials and haven't been allowed access to the players. So for interviews you would most likely have to beg on twitter like crazy person. If you are serious about it, start blogging for a few months then get in contact with a woman named Lisa Braun.

My brother writes for a local newspaper and has covered many different teams at different times over the years. I could ask him what you would need to do to get credentials if you really want...but
    outside of having the pleasure of having at one time watched a game with a member of the Big Red Machine, his general experience is that if you want to have fun at a game, you do not want to be in the press box. It might be the most boring part of the ballpark. If you're really into journalism, baseball, and are a very competitive workaholic you would love having a job like that, but there's a lot more to it than sitting around eating hot dogs and watching baseball all day. The dudes in the press box (for the most part) are pretty damn serious. To them it's still work. I don't know if I could sit in the press box and watch as the Reds hit a walk off home run and remain silent...I'd probably rip off my shirt, pour beer all over myself and toss myself out of the press box. Credentials or not, I don't think they would let a guy in the press box who's body is painted red with "Cuban Missile" written on his chest and "Vottomatic" on his buttcheeks in the first place. I guess that's why he's the professional writer in the family and I'm not.
    Last edited by joshua; 03-01-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

I don't know much about this, but I do think it would be an excellent idea as long as some of the obstacles could be overcome. Any additional coverage/legit inside info I could get about the Reds would be awesome. Redszone would definitely be a one stop shop for all things Reds. I think many others would have the same opinion...just guessing tho!

I will just put it out there right now.... The Reds aren't giving websites credentials unless you have a print media background or work for someone huge like Yahoo.

I was credentialed for a litle while back in the mid 90s with the Braves. I only gathered soundbites on my recorder for my boss at the radio station, but it was still cool. When the Reds came to town I wore my jersey into the Braves clubhouse.

It was quite the scene man.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I will just put it out there right now.... The Reds aren't giving websites credentials unless you have a print media background or work for someone huge like Yahoo.
    They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (03-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    People have tried.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Award Winning Baseball Player

Worth The Wait

It wouldn't be unprecedented. Several years ago, www.extremeskins.com became the "official" message board and the Redskins and ever since, board members/mods have been granted credentials and access.

I was able to get credentials back in...2004? For when the Lookouts came to Greenville, SC. That's how I was able to get interviews w/ EdE, among others, for Redszone.

Granted, it's a different scale MLB vs AA, but still, that was pretty cool.

You never know unless you try, so what do we (as a site) have to lose?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If the credentials request doesn't work out, another option might be to work with the Reds media folks to see if they would get players and club officials to answer questions in a thread for a couple of hours, like a Reddit AMA. (AMA = Ask Me Anything)

The way it works at Reddit is that the thread is open for a day or so before the AMA. Posters submit questions for the AMA person, which accumulate in the thread. Then the person spends an hour or two answering some of the questions in the thread. I've always assumed the AMA person is accompanied by a PR person who helps with the sifting process. The AMA person doesn't answer every question, just the ones they choose to answer.

If my attempt at explaining the concept has fallen short, here's an article about it from 2011.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    It wouldn't be unprecedented. Several years ago, www.extremeskins.com became the "official" message board and the Redskins and ever since, board members/mods have been granted credentials and access.
    Some teams are much more "internet" friendly. The Reds, at least in the past, have been well known not to be. Given that the same crew is still in charge, I doubt it has changed much.

It really depends on who you know. If we have a RZ member who knows someone above the bottom of the food chain in the Reds Org it would probably make all the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I have had a press pass to the box in the past working for WATH radio in Athens. I now live on the West Side of Cincy. I have a few connections higher up. I would be willing to help out anyway possible. I can't cover all games but would love the opportunity to cover a few games.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Turn Off Ads?