Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Pen - who goes?

Bull Pen - who goes?

Chapman looked good yesterday in the starting role. With that, Leake could move to a long reliever. From what I have seen over the past couple years, could this spell doom for Arrodando? Every time I have ever seen him, the opposition scores. If not him, then A. Simon? Drop one of these combustible arms and I think the roster fills out very nicely.

(I am already discounting Masset)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    As sad as this is, I think Masset's career might be over. So much talent... Just wasted...

As for the bullpen, Broxton and Marshall are the obvious locks as the 8th and 9th inning guys. Parra is the only lefty outside of Marshall so he's pretty obvious as well. That leaves four spots for Arredondo, Hoover, LeCure, Ondrusek and Simon. Honestly, it may come down to who has more options or if there's an injury during the spring because all of these guys are deserving. Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd say Arredondo should be the one to go down, but they'd probably send down Hoover because he has the most options... As well as the most talent... *sigh*

Broxton, Marshall, LeCure, Leake I think are shoe ins. That leaves 3 spots for Parra, Simon, Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek. So 2 of these 5 won't make it. The best of these guys will make it, the worst guy should be cut and if 4 out of the 5 pitch well, Hoover is back at AAA, until he is needed. He will find his way to Cincy soon enough if that is the case. Best case scenario is they all pitch well and one guy is traded for a prospect.
    Last edited by SweetLou1990; 03-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Broxton, Marshall, LeCure, Leake I think are shoe ins. That leaves 3 spots for Parra, Simon, Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek. So 2 of these 5 won't make it. The best of these guys will make it, the worst guy should be cut and if 4 out of the 5 pitch well, Hoover is back at AAA, until he is needed. He will find his way to Cincy soon enough if that is the case. Best case scenario is they all pitch well and one guy is traded for a prospect.
    I really don't think Leake is a lock for the bullpen. They may very well handle Chapman in the same way the Braves handled Medlen and start him as a long man in the pen until the third or fourth month of the season. Secondly, if Chapman does, in fact, start in the rotation to open the season, they may want Leake starting in AAA so that he can be called on to spot start throughout the season to keep Chapman's innings down.

Not saying either situation is a certainty, but I'm just pointing out that Leake is not a certainty for a pen role either.

Let's not forget about Clay Hensley as a dark horse. He has pitched 4 shutout innings so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    As sad as this is, I think Masset's career might be over. So much talent... Just wasted...

As for the bullpen, Broxton and Marshall are the obvious locks as the 8th and 9th inning guys. Parra is the only lefty outside of Marshall so he's pretty obvious as well. That leaves four spots for Arredondo, Hoover, LeCure, Ondrusek and Simon. Honestly, it may come down to who has more options or if there's an injury during the spring because all of these guys are deserving. Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd say Arredondo should be the one to go down, but they'd probably send down Hoover because he has the most options... As well as the most talent... *sigh*
    It is a sad reality that Hoover will most likely start the year in AAA. One of my favorite players last year. Has better stats than Broxton since he came here.

This will be fun to watch in March.

Hensley could be hard to send down if he keeps this up.

Wonder if they'll go with 8 pitchers in order to keep Chapman's innings down and plan to use Leake every time Chapman has a turn.

Broxton
    Marshall
    Lecure
    Hoover
    Parra
    Arredondo/Simon
    Ondrusek/Hensley
    Leake

That leaves Mes, Heisey, Hannahan, Donald on the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Staffer View Post
    Let's not forget about Clay Hensley as a dark horse. He has pitched 4 shutout innings so far...
    One good thing is that he pitched early in the games so at least he faced major league hitters for the most part.

"Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This will be fun to watch in March.

Hensley could be hard to send down if he keeps this up.

Wonder if they'll go with 8 pitchers in order to keep Chapman's innings down and plan to use Leake every time Chapman has a turn.

Broxton
    Marshall
    Lecure
    Hoover
    Parra
    Arredondo/Simon
    Ondrusek/Hensley
    Leake

That leaves Mes, Heisey, Hannahan, Donald on the bench
    most likely 12 pitchers will leave ST. that makes the choices harder. Somebody will be cut, and a few may end up in AAA. I send Hoover down until someone gets hurt or blown up.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    I really don't think Leake is a lock for the bullpen. They may very well handle Chapman in the same way the Braves handled Medlen and start him as a long man in the pen until the third or fourth month of the season. Secondly, if Chapman does, in fact, start in the rotation to open the season, they may want Leake starting in AAA so that he can be called on to spot start throughout the season to keep Chapman's innings down.

Not saying either situation is a certainty, but I'm just pointing out that Leake is not a certainty for a pen role either.
    That may very well be. Dusty & WJ haven't shown their cards concerning the master plan of how to use Chapman & Leake.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Considering this is the 2nd year that Chapman is being tried as a starter - someone really, really wants this to work out. Barring injury, Chapman is a starter.

What if it actually works

The entire rotation could be lights out, with Leake used as a long man (or sent to AAA). I remember Dusty saying that he had "Big plans, big plans....." for the rotation in 2012.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Chapman looked good yesterday in the starting role. With that, Leake could move to a long reliever. From what I have seen over the past couple years, could this spell doom for Arrodando? Every time I have ever seen him, the opposition scores. If not him, then A. Simon? Drop one of these combustible arms and I think the roster fills out very nicely.

They dont always score off of Arredondo but your guaranteed to see a walk or two. He likes to make it interesting. I dont see Leake being a long reliever but that may be just me. We could stick him in Louisville for the start of the season. Im sure there will be injuries. The rotation staying healthy like last year would be a miracle if it happened again. You can never have enough good arms. We should be happy we're talking about who should go
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

I was surprised Parra was signed. Based on his body of work, I don't think he is good enough to crack the pen. Lefty or not, the best 11 or 12 guys should break camp.

I like Parra's arm and think he will be a find if he can stay healthy.

I think Simon will be this year's Josias Manzanillo.

I think Ondrusek will be worse than Simon.

I think Hoover is the best hope to be the 3rd late inning guy to go with Marshall and Broxton, but I'm guessing he starts out in AAA.

Hoover optioned and Masset on he DL leaves 13 pitchers for the roster and how they sort out Chapman and Leake will have a big inpact on the opening day roster.

Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Arroyo are locks.

Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Simon and Parra might be the pen if Chapman starts in the rotation and Leake is optioned.

If the Reds start Chapman in the pen to hold his innings down, there may not be room for Parra as the 3rd lefty. I'd keep him over Ondrusek or Simon, but I don't think the Reds will.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It really is all related to HOW they plan to keep Chapman's innings down. They have to do it one way or another. Do they skip starts? Does he get yanked early every time? Does he start in the pen (doesn't seem likely now)? Do they somehow just hold him out entirely at the start?

You can't just throw him out there every 5th day from April through (hopefully) the world series. That would be like 240 innings for last year's closer.

Turn Off Ads?