Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43

Thread: Bull Pen - who goes?

  1. #1
    Newbie Rock of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Toshi Station
    Posts
    147

    Bull Pen - who goes?

    Chapman looked good yesterday in the starting role. With that, Leake could move to a long reliever. From what I have seen over the past couple years, could this spell doom for Arrodando? Every time I have ever seen him, the opposition scores. If not him, then A. Simon? Drop one of these combustible arms and I think the roster fills out very nicely.

    (I am already discounting Masset)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Wait... What? Vander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    81

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    (I am already discounting Masset)
    As sad as this is, I think Masset's career might be over. So much talent... Just wasted...

    As for the bullpen, Broxton and Marshall are the obvious locks as the 8th and 9th inning guys. Parra is the only lefty outside of Marshall so he's pretty obvious as well. That leaves four spots for Arredondo, Hoover, LeCure, Ondrusek and Simon. Honestly, it may come down to who has more options or if there's an injury during the spring because all of these guys are deserving. Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd say Arredondo should be the one to go down, but they'd probably send down Hoover because he has the most options... As well as the most talent... *sigh*

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Broxton, Marshall, LeCure, Leake I think are shoe ins. That leaves 3 spots for Parra, Simon, Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek. So 2 of these 5 won't make it. The best of these guys will make it, the worst guy should be cut and if 4 out of the 5 pitch well, Hoover is back at AAA, until he is needed. He will find his way to Cincy soon enough if that is the case. Best case scenario is they all pitch well and one guy is traded for a prospect.
    Last edited by SweetLou1990; 03-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  5. #4
    Wait... What? Vander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    81

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    Broxton, Marshall, LeCure, Leake I think are shoe ins. That leaves 3 spots for Parra, Simon, Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek. So 2 of these 5 won't make it. The best of these guys will make it, the worst guy should be cut and if 4 out of the 5 pitch well, Hoover is back at AAA, until he is needed. He will find his way to Cincy soon enough if that is the case. Best case scenario is they all pitch well and one guy is traded for a prospect.
    I really don't think Leake is a lock for the bullpen. They may very well handle Chapman in the same way the Braves handled Medlen and start him as a long man in the pen until the third or fourth month of the season. Secondly, if Chapman does, in fact, start in the rotation to open the season, they may want Leake starting in AAA so that he can be called on to spot start throughout the season to keep Chapman's innings down.

    Not saying either situation is a certainty, but I'm just pointing out that Leake is not a certainty for a pen role either.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Let's not forget about Clay Hensley as a dark horse. He has pitched 4 shutout innings so far...

  7. #6
    Member RedLeg08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Martins Ferry
    Posts
    4

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    As sad as this is, I think Masset's career might be over. So much talent... Just wasted...

    As for the bullpen, Broxton and Marshall are the obvious locks as the 8th and 9th inning guys. Parra is the only lefty outside of Marshall so he's pretty obvious as well. That leaves four spots for Arredondo, Hoover, LeCure, Ondrusek and Simon. Honestly, it may come down to who has more options or if there's an injury during the spring because all of these guys are deserving. Assuming everyone is healthy, I'd say Arredondo should be the one to go down, but they'd probably send down Hoover because he has the most options... As well as the most talent... *sigh*
    It is a sad reality that Hoover will most likely start the year in AAA. One of my favorite players last year. Has better stats than Broxton since he came here.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    This will be fun to watch in March.

    Hensley could be hard to send down if he keeps this up.

    Wonder if they'll go with 8 pitchers in order to keep Chapman's innings down and plan to use Leake every time Chapman has a turn.

    Broxton
    Marshall
    Lecure
    Hoover
    Parra
    Arredondo/Simon
    Ondrusek/Hensley
    Leake

    That leaves Mes, Heisey, Hannahan, Donald on the bench

  9. #8
    real baseball - No DH
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    63

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Staffer View Post
    Let's not forget about Clay Hensley as a dark horse. He has pitched 4 shutout innings so far...
    One good thing is that he pitched early in the games so at least he faced major league hitters for the most part.

    "Kids are always chasing rainbows, but baseball is a world where you can catch them." ~
    Johnny Vander Meer

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    This will be fun to watch in March.

    Hensley could be hard to send down if he keeps this up.

    Wonder if they'll go with 8 pitchers in order to keep Chapman's innings down and plan to use Leake every time Chapman has a turn.

    Broxton
    Marshall
    Lecure
    Hoover
    Parra
    Arredondo/Simon
    Ondrusek/Hensley
    Leake

    That leaves Mes, Heisey, Hannahan, Donald on the bench
    most likely 12 pitchers will leave ST. that makes the choices harder. Somebody will be cut, and a few may end up in AAA. I send Hoover down until someone gets hurt or blown up.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vander View Post
    I really don't think Leake is a lock for the bullpen. They may very well handle Chapman in the same way the Braves handled Medlen and start him as a long man in the pen until the third or fourth month of the season. Secondly, if Chapman does, in fact, start in the rotation to open the season, they may want Leake starting in AAA so that he can be called on to spot start throughout the season to keep Chapman's innings down.

    Not saying either situation is a certainty, but I'm just pointing out that Leake is not a certainty for a pen role either.
    That may very well be. Dusty & WJ haven't shown their cards concerning the master plan of how to use Chapman & Leake.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Central Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Considering this is the 2nd year that Chapman is being tried as a starter - someone really, really wants this to work out. Barring injury, Chapman is a starter.

    What if it actually works

    The entire rotation could be lights out, with Leake used as a long man (or sent to AAA). I remember Dusty saying that he had "Big plans, big plans....." for the rotation in 2012.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

  13. #12
    Have Faith In Dusty DGullett35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    712

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Chapman looked good yesterday in the starting role. With that, Leake could move to a long reliever. From what I have seen over the past couple years, could this spell doom for Arrodando? Every time I have ever seen him, the opposition scores. If not him, then A. Simon? Drop one of these combustible arms and I think the roster fills out very nicely.

    (I am already discounting Masset)
    They dont always score off of Arredondo but your guaranteed to see a walk or two. He likes to make it interesting. I dont see Leake being a long reliever but that may be just me. We could stick him in Louisville for the start of the season. Im sure there will be injuries. The rotation staying healthy like last year would be a miracle if it happened again. You can never have enough good arms. We should be happy we're talking about who should go
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    165

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    I was surprised Parra was signed. Based on his body of work, I don't think he is good enough to crack the pen. Lefty or not, the best 11 or 12 guys should break camp.

  15. #14
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,943

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    I like Parra's arm and think he will be a find if he can stay healthy.

    I think Simon will be this year's Josias Manzanillo.

    I think Ondrusek will be worse than Simon.

    I think Hoover is the best hope to be the 3rd late inning guy to go with Marshall and Broxton, but I'm guessing he starts out in AAA.

    Hoover optioned and Masset on he DL leaves 13 pitchers for the roster and how they sort out Chapman and Leake will have a big inpact on the opening day roster.

    Latos, Cueto, Bailey and Arroyo are locks.

    Broxton, Marshall, Lecure, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Simon and Parra might be the pen if Chapman starts in the rotation and Leake is optioned.

    If the Reds start Chapman in the pen to hold his innings down, there may not be room for Parra as the 3rd lefty. I'd keep him over Ondrusek or Simon, but I don't think the Reds will.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Cincy
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Bull Pen - who goes?

    It really is all related to HOW they plan to keep Chapman's innings down. They have to do it one way or another. Do they skip starts? Does he get yanked early every time? Does he start in the pen (doesn't seem likely now)? Do they somehow just hold him out entirely at the start?

    You can't just throw him out there every 5th day from April through (hopefully) the world series. That would be like 240 innings for last year's closer.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25