Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Mark Prior

Re: Reds sign Mark Prior

Why not? Even good teams could use lottery tickets.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like it!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Give Prior credit,he doesn't hold grudges. Hey, it's worth a shot.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

The D-Train comparison is what first popped into my head.

I really like this move on all accounts.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    How delicious would it be to see Mark Prior contribute to a playoff-bound Reds team, under the manager who "ruined" him, no less? The gnashing of teeth in Cubsland would be the most joyous thing ever.
    That is a truly evil thought. And I love it.

He did run up 38 K in 25 IP last year for the PawSox. He walked 23 as well, plus he gave up four bombs. It would be interesting to see if Dusty and Price could get him straightened out a little.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am watching some stuff from last year in Pawtucket right now on Prior. He was 88-92 in his second game with them (haven't gotten any further than that). The curveball can still be really nasty, though a few weren't spun nearly as tight as others. I haven't gone back to look at pre-injury mechanics yet to refresh my memory, but he does seem to be short arming the ball a little bit more than I remember. I could just be remembering wrong though.

I agree with the D-Train comparison.

So can he hit?

All jokes aside, everyone in the baseball community blasts Dusty for his use of Prior. Yet when Prior wants to make a comeback, who does he call? The best thing about this move is that we have, IMO, now that Duncan is retired, the best pitching coach in baseball.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

11. Likes:

Big Red Hoss (03-01-2013),bigredmechanism (03-01-2013)

No doubt. I hope Price stays for a long time. He is truely an asset to the team.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I agree with the D-Train comparison.

So can he hit?

All jokes aside, everyone in the baseball community blasts Dusty for his use of Prior. Yet when Prior wants to make a comeback, who does he call? The best thing about this move is that we have, IMO, now that Duncan is retired, the best pitching coach in baseball.
    That just tells me that Mark Prior doesn't understand what happened to him all of these years later. Dusty Baker abused that dudes arm, big time, whether he knows it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That just tells me that Mark Prior doesn't understand what happened to him all of these years later. Dusty Baker abused that dudes arm, big time, whether he knows it or not.
    Guy faced 863 batters in 2003 and 264 pitchers have done that and more since.

Chances are his arm would have exploded eventually.

Maybe Mark Prior is the one who should decide who he stays connected to in the game and not the fans?

15. Likes:

Always Red (03-01-2013),Cursh14 (03-02-2013),Number_Fourteen (03-01-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't disagree with that, just pointing out that Dusty is the epitome of a player's manager, and why he's so successful. Even though Dusty basically ruined his career, the guy still wants to play for him.

Dusty gets more out of his players because they want to play for him and they want to pay him back for their opportunities. Can it be bad sometimes? Obviously Wily Taveras and Corey Patterson say hi. But I think there's way more good than bad that comes with that. And that's why we live with some of his questionable calls, although this year, with the lineup, I can't see too much arguing. So I'm guessing bullpen maintenance will be the problem this year.

But for as much as we gripe about Dusty's in-game strategies, remember where we've come from. Dusty would never pinch hit Juan Castro for Josh Hamilton.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Guy faced 863 batters in 2003 and 264 pitchers have done that and more since.

Chances are his arm would have exploded eventually.

Maybe Mark Prior is the one who should decide who he stays connected to in the game and not the fans?
    I appreciate your attempts to bring rationality to the "Dusty ruined Mark Prior" narrative. Unfortunately your attempts at common sense will get you nowhere.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

Caveman Techie (03-01-2013),George Anderson (03-01-2013),jimbo (03-01-2013),OUReds (03-01-2013),reds44 (03-01-2013),Revering4Blue (03-01-2013)

When Stassburg blew out his elbow, and all the talk of the "inverted W" started proping up, the video of Prior's throwing motion showed a clear "inverted W". If they still attribute that as a cause to elbow wear or not, I don't know, but if that theory still applies, its pretty clear why he had elbow trouble.

20. Likes:

File this in the "How far the Reds have come department"

Reds of late 90's through around 7 or 8 yrs ago sign Prior and slot him as the #3 starter in the rotation.

Reds of 2013 sign Prior as AAA depth and a favor to the man.

The signing itself is nothing more than "meh", but the fundamental change of the strength of the organization is a "hooray"

Turn Off Ads?