Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLS Thread

Re: 2013 MLS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I guess. It's been a couple years since the last expansion draft but I don't remember any team getting screwed too bad.
    When they had the double expansion for Portland and Vancouver in 2010, followed by the Montreal expansion in 2011, Columbus lost 3 players. LA and NYRB lost 0. I think the Revs also lost 0, but they rarely have players anyone else wants these days.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    When they had the double expansion for Portland and Vancouver in 2010, followed by the Montreal expansion in 2011, Columbus lost 3 players. LA and NYRB lost 0. I think the Revs also lost 0, but they rarely have players anyone else wants these days.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_MLS_Expansion_Draft

That is true, but the rules weren't any different from LA or NYRB than they are for Columbus or SKC. I can't think of a single player that was drafted that would be killer to any of those franchises. I suppose it hurts depth a bit and that might be a reason that some of the Galaxy unprotected players weren't taken. They are either not that good or are a little higher priced by MLS standards (e.g. Mike Magee).

The Galaxy have traded Mike Magee to the Fire for Robbie Rogers. I'm really going to miss Magee as he was one of my favorites. Rogers could be a great acquisition if he can stay on the field.

Obviously this will be more news worthy for non soccer reasons as Rogers will be the first openly gay player in the league.

Four new teams coming to MLS by 2020. Who you got?
    I'm going with Orlando City, a new Beckham owned Miami team, Minneapolis, and St. Louis.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Atlanta, Miami, San Antonio and St. Louis would be my guesses.

And my hope would be that someone in Cincinnati with the financial resources can figure out a way to claim a spot vacated in the NASL by these moves.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Atlanta, Miami, San Antonio and St. Louis would be my guesses.

And my hope would be that someone in Cincinnati with the financial resources can figure out a way to claim a spot vacated in the NASL by these moves.
    I don't think Miami gets a team. There will be no support for a stadium after the Marlins Park debacle. The fan base is tepid at best. The NASL team plays in Ft. Lauderdale which is only 30 minutes away from downtown Miami, but II think it takes away from the desire of people to drive from Miami for regular games.

Also, while St. Louis has always been a great spot for growing US Soccer, and it would have been a great spot for KC to move to when "The Wiz" couldn't draw flies, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of interest in a professional team there.

They don't have an NASL team.

OTOH, Indianapolis is just firing up its most recent attempt at pro soccer, with a team that has already sold close to 6,000 season tickets with almost a year before it's first game.

There's still a reasonable amount of land to build a stadium downtown. One of the owners(Peter Wilt) has a number of connections within the MLS offices.

My guesses are Orlando, Atlanta, San Antonio, and Indy.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't think Miami gets a team. There will be no support for a stadium after the Marlins Park debacle. The fan base is tepid at best. The NASL team plays in Ft. Lauderdale which is only 30 minutes away from downtown Miami, but II think it takes away from the desire of people to drive from Miami for regular games.

Also, while St. Louis has always been a great spot for growing US Soccer, and it would have been a great spot for KC to move to when "The Wiz" couldn't draw flies, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of interest in a professional team there.

They don't have an NASL team.

OTOH, Indianapolis is just firing up its most recent attempt at pro soccer, with a team that has already sold close to 6,000 season tickets with almost a year before it's first game.

There's still a reasonable amount of land to build a stadium downtown. One of the owners(Peter Wilt) has a number of connections within the MLS offices.

My guesses are Orlando, Atlanta, San Antonio, and Indy.
    I'd say your four are a fair assessment, except that I think Minneapolis has a leg up on Indy. The wild cards are Beckham and Miami, as well as the Cosmos group in NY trying to build soccer specific stadium in Queens. I would put cities with stadiums in the works at the top of the list. I think Beckham's Miami project would be another Chivas level mistake. If FC Barcelona withdrew from a prior Miami proposal due to unfavorable market conditions, I don't think Beckham will do any better. Of course who knows. A lot can change between now and 2020. Cleveland all but had an expansion franchise and it fell through when voters rejected a stadium referendum where they just had to pay for infrastructure improvements.

I saI'd Queens for the Cosmos stadium, but it might actually be Long Island, just outside Brooklyn. NYCFC are the ones trying for Queens. If they both build soccer stadiums, I wouldn't put it past Garber to have 3 NY metro teams.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 08-02-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: correction
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I agree that the Miami team would be a huge mistake, but I think the league will bend to Beckham (see what I did there), if that is what he wants to do.

I forgot about Atlanta, that is an interesting one as well. The league has no footprint in the south east, but I still think they can only do one of Miami, Orlando and Atlanta, given the other candidates.

I agree that the Miami team would be a huge mistake, but I think the league will bend to Beckham (see what I did there), if that is what he wants to do.

I forgot about Atlanta, that is an interesting one as well. The league has no footprint in the south east, but I still think they can only do one of Miami, Orlando and Atlanta, given the other candidates.
    Atlanta is apparently big because Blank, owner of the Falcons, has expressed interest, allegedly as a second tenant for the football stadium he wants. That makes some people nervous, given the history of the New England Revs as of late with Kraft as owner and having to play at Gillette. At this point, it's hard to say who is a frontrunner without knowing what's happening behind closed doors. The likely candidates all have potential owners, stadia, and/or fan support lined up. Of course, things could change. Cleveland once had an owner, Bart Wolstein, who was pretty much given an expansion franchise, pending the building of a soccer stadium in Summit County, between Cleveland and Akron. Plans were drawn up for the stadium complex to include youth soccer fields and some other stuff. All it required was a vote by County residents to approve a tax for infrastructure improvements. In a short period of time the vote went against it and Wolstein died. His son decided not to pursue expansion further.

I would personally like to see them get some issues with current teams solved first and boost tv revenues before expanding. TV revenues are what will improve the quality and stability of the league long term. Before they start cutting that pie into too many pieces, I'd like to see them get a bigger pie.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The trouble is that the league has absolutely no presence in the SE United States -- growing TV revenues is a laudable goal, but a national TV contract is never going to be big-dollars with such a large (and fast-growing) part of the country left out.

That's why getting a team in places like Atlanta, Orlando, the Carolinas, etc. is so important.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The trouble is that the league has absolutely no presence in the SE United States -- growing TV revenues is a laudable goal, but a national TV contract is never going to be big-dollars with such a large (and fast-growing) part of the country left out.

That's why getting a team in places like Atlanta, Orlando, the Carolinas, etc. is so important.
    Ask the NHL how expanding/relocating 7 teams to the south/sunbelt in a 10 year period worked for them. I like the MLS and look forward to rooting for NYCFC in 2 years, but I think they may be overplaying their hand here by expanding so quickly.

I get that you look at this and say "oh, well it's obvious where to put the next teams", but I think it's more important right now for them to focus on making each of their teams as successful as possible. Basically what Yachtzee said.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Ask the NHL how expanding/relocating 7 teams to the south/sunbelt in a 10 year period worked for them. I like the MLS and look forward to rooting for NYCFC in 2 years, but I think they may be overplaying their hand here by expanding so quickly.

I get that you look at this and say "oh, well it's obvious where to put the next teams", but I think it's more important right now for them to focus on making each of their teams as successful as possible. Basically what Yachtzee said.
    A couple of thoughts:

1. Hockey is a tough sell in the southeast, just like any sport is a tough sell in a place that never had it.

Having said that, I don't know that the southeast is less interested in soccer than other parts of the country.

2. That map with the lack of southeastern presence looks a lot like the NFL circa 1965.

3. (Backing up a few posts) Miami is a tough market for anything. People try to bank on the theoretical "South Florida" market but anyone who's spent much time there knows that Miami people tend to stay in Miami and vice versa. Traffic is a huge problem. Orlando might have a better chance, but I'm just guessing.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

While I agree that the Southeast is a prime region for expansion, I think it needs to be done the right way. That means identifying which cities have shown support for soccer, have ownership commited to soccer, and plans for a soccer specific stadium. The commitment to soccer goes beyond a willingness to pony up the expansion fee, but plans to set up an academy system to increase the talent pool. My concern for some of the proposed cities is that you're looking at owners just wanting to put a team in a city because it's a "sexy" pick or the owner is seeking a second tenant to justify a new football stadium. So, for example, I would encourage potential owners like Beckham and Arthur Blank to invest in existing clubs in their cities and build a support base and an academy to prove they'll be successful.

TV contracts are going to be driven less by which teams are in what markets and more by having compelling games. Haphazard expansion could result in a dilution of talent and decrease in the quality of play. I don't think we're at the point yet where you can add a team in a market and expect overnight success.

I'd also refer back to the question, "How big is too big?" Upon further research, I'm thinking 24 teams might be pushing it, just because of the limited number of games in the season. Any bigger and you're getting to the point where teams only play each other once a season. Then you need to decide whether you want to split the league conferences where they only play the other conference in playoffs and open cup play or forming a premier league/first division split with promotion and relegation.

In other news, the Hunts sold the Columbus Crew to Precourt Sports Ventures for a record $68 million.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...rd-68-million/

Apparently the new owner likes the name and colors, but the badge not so much. I'm hoping he's commited to investing in the club and not trying to pull a stunt like some out of town owners have pulled like running the team into the ground to drive off fan support to justify a move a few years from now.

Orlando's potential ownership group seems to think they will get a team in 2015.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...hise-team.html

Turn Off Ads?