Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2013 MLS Thread

Re: 2013 MLS Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    So the Crew announced the new TV deal....with Time Warner Cable Sports Network

Needless to say, the backlash has been swift and decisive.

What a disaster
    What's wrong with it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    What's wrong with it?
    Well, for one, I don't have the option of getting TWC in Columbus. That channel is only available on TWC, not available on DTV, Dish, WOW, UVerse, any other provider in the area.

So you basically alienated 50% of your fanbase.

I'll see 1/34 matches on TV this year

Well, for one, I don't have the option of getting TWC in Columbus. That channel is only available on TWC, not available on DTV, Dish, WOW, UVerse, any other provider in the area.

I certainly won't be dropping DirecTV to watch the Crew. This was a terrible move. I've largely lost interest in the team since moving away from Columbus but the FSO deal pulled me back in a bit.

Ah got it, yeah that sucks. The Galaxy have their deal with TWC too, but it is available on DTV here so that is why I was asking.

I got an MLS Direct Kick subscription last year. I think it was $60 for the whole season and I think it was totally worth it. I don't think it blacked out local games unless they were a national broadcast.

No idea why they would agree to those blackout rules. Crew should be doing everything they can to get those games into as many houses in Ohio, not just Columbus, that they can.

I'm really excited for the league to get started again today. It's been a pretty exciting offseason and hopefully that translates into the actual season. My sure to be right predictions are Supporters Shield to SKC and LA Galaxy over NYRB in the MLS Cup.

I'm actually getting the Crew game on Dish tv at my sister's house in New Philadelphia. Don't know if it's an arrangement to carry the Time Warner channel or it's a Direct Kick free preview.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I'm actually getting the Crew game on Dish tv at my sister's house in New Philadelphia. Don't know if it's an arrangement to carry the Time Warner channel or it's a Direct Kick free preview.
    New Philadelphia is safely outside the blackout area and Direct Kick us having a free preview weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    New Philadelphia is safely outside the blackout area and Direct Kick us having a free preview weekend.
    I figured that out later. I wasn't sure because they had the Columbus Crew feed with the Crew on the road, and I thought that it would be like MLB Extra Innings, where you get the home team's feed.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

So the Crew announced the new TV deal....with Time Warner Cable Sports Network

Needless to say, the backlash has been swift and decisive.

What a disaster
    Really, though, what alternative solution did the Crew have?

Sticking with FSN would have meant a continued future of match pre-emptions (due to Reds, Indians, Cavs and Blue Jackets all having priority over them). Other than taking the rights in-house and buying time on local independent stations -- which would have been a huge money-loser for the club -- this deal with TW was probably the only chance they had of guaranteeing every match being televised live throughout the state.

The only part of the deal that's silly is the blackout of Direct Kick, but that's probably the price of doing business with TW. They want exclusive content that drives subscribers back to their platform -- and if they told the Crew "No," they'd have no other options.

Either way, I'm OK. I'm a TW subscriber so I can watch whenever -- and if this deal really kills interest in the Crew in Columbus, I'll be thrilled to see them go as it increases the odds, however slim they may be, of MLS coming to Cincinnati.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Free MLS on DirecTV this week.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Crew with a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union makes them 2-0 for, unbelievably, the first time in franchise history.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    Crew with a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Union makes them 2-0 for, unbelievably, the first time in franchise history.
    Haven't seen the Crew play yet, but I assume you will be deeply in love with Michael Parkhurst by the end of this season.

Just a general question to the group, but shouldn't we start a MLS 2014 thread?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?