Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2013 MLS Thread

Re: 2013 MLS Thread

I'd love to see a Cincinnati team named the Flying Pigs. They could wear shock pink jerseys Palermo style.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I mean, it wouldn't be without precedent -- "Real" is Spanish for Royal, which makes no sense for a team in Salt Lake City that (as best I can tell) has never been ruled by a monarch.

For the record, I think Real Salt Lake is a really dumb name for a team.
    Same here, I could live with the rest of the Euro-knockoff names but this one made no sense at all. Besides what you pointed out, Salt Lake is also probably the least-Spanish-speaking city in MLS, although I can't quote census stats to prove it. I could at least buy it if the team was in a place with a strong Hispanic fan base.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Same here, I could live with the rest of the Euro-knockoff names but this one made no sense at all. Besides what you pointed out, Salt Lake is also probably the least-Spanish-speaking city in MLS, although I can't quote census stats to prove it. I could at least buy it if the team was in a place with a strong Hispanic fan base.
    I found it pretty stupid at first, but it has grown on me. Plus, I think most people, their fans included, just call them RSL (or Fake Salt Lake, which is fun too) which is kind of cool.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I like the Euro-style names in MLS -- especially compared to how bad the original set of names were for the teams that played.

Plus, it puts the city front and center. It makes support a matter of civic pride.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I mean, it wouldn't be without precedent -- "Real" is Spanish for Royal, which makes no sense for a team in Salt Lake City that (as best I can tell) has never been ruled by a monarch.

For the record, I think Real Salt Lake is a really dumb name for a team.
    At least Cincinnati has a large number of people who can claim heritage from Bavaria (and the former Austria-Hungary, as evidenced by the large number of German Catholics). As far as I can tell, Salt Lake has not received patronage from the Spanish Crown, which is how Spanish teams receive the designation of "Real."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I like the Euro-style names in MLS -- especially compared to how bad the original set of names were for the teams that played.

Plus, it puts the city front and center. It makes support a matter of civic pride.
    I think the original MLS names were mostly bad, but I think they were a conscious decision to distance themselves from the NASL. The successful marketing of DC United led some teams to rebrand with Euro-style names, and now we have teams bringing back names of original NASL teams in cities that had a stong connection with the original NASL franchise. San Jose Earthquakes and FC Dallas definitely sound better than the Clash and the Burn. Of course, Colorado has been wise to stick with the Rapids name rather than go with resurrecting the Caribous of Colorado name with the fringed jerseys.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Funny, I was just looking at the old MLS logos the other day, and they were so bad it hurts. I much prefer the European influenced names and designs, even if they are forced.

I'll take something like this

Over this

any day
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

The Galaxy announced today they used their 3rd DP slot on Omar Gonzalez. This has sparked a lot of debate amonst Galaxy fans. People here love Omar and is a huge fan favorite, but the move still seems a bit of a let down since Omar isn't a huge international star or anything.

I like the move though and love keeping good US players in the MLS.

Higuain the last 2 weeks has been ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    That chip goal was just awesome.

If you haven't seen Agudelo's goal from last night check it out. One touch, back heel over the keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    No kidding. Second week in a row he's chipped the keeper. Just beautiful touch on those shots. The Crew have put together a nice few games with Higuain scoring and the defense not giving up stoppage time goals that have plagued them as of late. Will Trapp seems to be really coming along as a CDM.

Higuain is a joy to watch. The Creware lucky to have a player who is not only skilled but exciting. MLS needs more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Higuain is a joy to watch. The Creware lucky to have a player who is not only skilled but exciting. MLS needs more of that.
    The Crew had Guillermo Barros Schelotto, who was amazing. As great as he was, GBS was in his mid to late 30s with the Crew. Higuain is still 28 and could be around for a while.

Any one know if you can just rock up on the day at a Columbus Crew match and get tickets?
    Melbourne to Cincinnati - September 1st - 12th 2013

Turn Off Ads?