Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

It is nice to see Yorman Rodriguez posting a line like this in his 21 PA: .333/.429/.778/1.206. It is understood that this is Spring Training but it is still encouraging to see.

2. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-19-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It is nice to see Yorman Rodriguez posting a line like this in his 21 PA: .333/.429/.778/1.206. It is understood that this is Spring Training but it is still encouraging to see.
    I got to see him play a bit in the B game Saturday. I thought he made a nice play on an extra base hit in the outfield, good throw to the cut off man. He got a hit as well.

I know this is meaningless, but Yorman looks like a ballplayer. He seemed very comfortable out there. He's fast, he definitely has some tools.

If he gets it together in the minors, one would think this guy can really emerge as a very good prospect and advance more quickly now. Glad the Reds are protecting him and sticking with him.

Hoover with another big night, four Ks in 1.1 innings against Rockies tonight. Guy is making it very hard for them to cut him. Maybe Reds will send him down because he HAS to cool off, LOL.

Izturis with a hit tonight and reportedly hit the ball hard all game. Burriss an error. Donald and Izturis both still hitting at least .300 BA. Hensley with a clean inning.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hoover with another big night, four Ks in 1.1 innings against Rockies tonight. Guy is making it very hard for them to cut him. Maybe Reds will send him down because he HAS to cool off, LOL.

Izturis with a hit tonight and reportedly hit the ball hard all game. Burriss an error. Donald and Izturis both still hitting at least .300 BA. Hensley with a clean inning.
    Hoover's struck out the last seven guys he's faced. He's closer material, no doubt in my mind. The Broxton signing continues to baffle me.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Hoover's struck out the last seven guys he's faced. He's closer material, no doubt in my mind. The Broxton signing continues to baffle me.
    We've said this same thing at one time or another on any number of relievers. Burton, Arredondo, Masset...hell, even Arroyo. While Hoover's upside is very solid, he lacks a track record. Broxton has a solid one. And whether he stays the closer or not...they did need the arm with Chapman moving out of the pen.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    We've said this same thing at one time or another on any number of relievers. Burton, Arredondo, Masset...hell, even Arroyo. While Hoover's upside is very solid, he lacks a track record. Broxton has a solid one. And whether he stays the closer or not...they did need the arm with Chapman moving out of the pen.
    Closers are also in demand. If Broxton is solid, even with that contract he can probably be unloaded for a decent return from a club that's in contention.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I think some fans may be concerned that Broxton and Marshall combined got big salaries for relievers. If Chapman stays in the pen, that's three pretty big bullpen contracts.

Doesn't bother me, I'm focused on the ballclub this year, not the financial statements. I like a quality bullpen and if the Reds feel they can devote some money to it, that's great.

Looking ahead, Arroyo will be off the books next season, Choo probably will as well. Rolen is now off the books.

The Reds know their finances, I'm sure they are focused on budget, and if they can afford experienced, quality relievers, that's great.

They haven't exactly skimped on the rest of the team. Lot of guys getting paid real money throughout the club.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You say they needed the arm, but there's a good chance Hoover starts the year in AAA because there just isn't room if Parra makes the pen as a second lefty or if both Arredondo and Ondrusek are in (also likely, with one out of options and one on a multi-year deal). I appreciate bullpen surplus as much as the next guy, but not if you're committing serious money for parts that some believe, including myself, could be replicated in-house.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Wonder if Hoover's success will push Chapman to the rotation.

Walt might be happy with Brox, Marshall, Hoover in late innings - might help him decide to start Chappy.

12. Likes:

jmac (03-19-2013),mbgrayson (03-20-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You say they needed the arm, but there's a good chance Hoover starts the year in AAA because there just isn't room if Parra makes the pen as a second lefty or if both Arredondo and Ondrusek are in (also likely, with one out of options and one on a multi-year deal). I appreciate bullpen surplus as much as the next guy, but not if you're committing serious money for parts that some believe, including myself, could be replicated in-house.
    Let me elaborate. They needed a big arm with experience. A large portion of our pen are young guys with just a couple years experience. And Broxton is a considerable upgrade over Arredondo, Ondrusek, LeCure (stuff-wise), Parra, etc. They also needed someone with some MLB experience closing in case Chapman sticks in the rotation. Hoover looks great going forward, but on a team that is expected to contend for the pennant...I'm not sure they want a rookie assuming the closers role.

Mes catching Bailey today in Cactus League play.

I think this will carry over to the regular season.

The Reds glut of 11th and 12th men should not preclude them from getting a guy for a more important role. If Hoover fails to make the team, it will be because the Reds chose to protect the Simon, Ondrusek, Arredondo glut and not because of Broxton. The interchangeable parts should be on the bubble, not Hoover or Broxton.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Arredondo and Parra each threw 1.1 in the game v. Chisox today. Jose did well with a couple of Ks. Parra walked four guys.

Arredondo-Parra could be a direct battle since the purpose of each would be mostly to get out lefties. Arredondo now at 3.38 ERA, Parra over 4. Arredondo with a better WHIP too. Parra does have 10 Ks in 11 IP. Parra also has allowed 11 hits in those 11 IP.

I thought Jose would get traded, but his spring is improving and maybe he'll earn a continuing role, we'll know soon enough.

Bullpen battle gets even more interesting as Simon will now return from WBC. Let's see how he does.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-20-2013 at 01:26 AM.

If Mes is improved enough with the stick and even a little better behind the dish, I could see him taking a 3rd member of the rotation away from Hanigan. I'm a huge fan of Ryan, but the Reds look at Mes not only as the future, but also a potential perennial All Star.
    Looking down the road at this offseason/2014, I've also heard that a lot of clubs have shown major interest in Hanigan and he'd probably bring a nice return. Not that I want to trade him, but that's an option. Keep in mind that if Mesaraco develops into "the guy," that most All Star level catchers play 4 out of 5 games, not 3.
    Last edited by OGB; 03-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Arredondo and Parra each threw 1.1 in the game v. Chisox today. Jose did well with a couple of Ks. Parra walked four guys.

Arredondo-Parra could be a direct battle since the purpose of each would be mostly to get out lefties. Arredondo now at 3.38 ERA, Parra over 4. Arredondo with a better WHIP too. Parra does have 10 Ks in 11 IP. Parra also has allowed 11 hits in those 11 IP.

I thought Jose would get traded, but his spring is improving and maybe he'll earn a continuing role, we'll know soon enough.

Bullpen battle gets even more interesting as Simon will now return from WBC. Let's see how he does.
    I don't think Baker views Arredondo as a player who is going to come in to get LHH out- in the last couple of seasons, I seldom remember him facing LHH except in games that were not of the "close" variety.

That doesn't change your analysis, because I think that Arredondo has great value against LHH. However, usage is a key if this is going to be a battle, and Parra might have a leg up as a LHP even though Arredondo is basically a backwards RHP.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

19. Likes:

Kc61 (03-20-2013)

Turn Off Ads?