Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

You can also say goodbye to Miguel Olivo, 0 for 3 today and hitting around .140. I sure wish the Reds bats would show signs of coming to life. Ludwick with 2 hits today has his ST average UP to .178. Bruce 0 for 3 with 2 K's. Choo rusty with an 0 for 3.
    Phillips and Cozart with 0'fers. One week to go and then a very tough regular season opening month coming up.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sounds like Simon won't make the opening day roster:

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Reds long reliever Alfredo Simon got to be part of the Dominican Republic's undefeated championship run in this year's World Baseball Classic. But it very well may cost him a roster spot in Cincinnati's bullpen.

Simon made only one three-inning appearance for the Dominicans during the tournament and allowed one run on three hits. Before departing Reds camp, he made two appearances with the last one coming on Feb. 28 when he gave up three runs and six hits vs. the D-backs. Simon needs to make up for some lost time and innings.

"He's only pitched once in the last 10-12 days," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "We can't bump all of these guys for Alfredo to pitch. We want to get him innings. You can't force those innings because you'll end up hurting the guy. We're going to try and get him in some Minor League games."

"You can say he's basically starting over," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty added.

Simon, who has a guaranteed contract worth $890,000 for 2013, is out of Minor League options. But bullpen spots got even scarcer with Friday's news that Aroldis Chapman is returning to the bullpen as the closer. Plus, young reliever J.J. Hoover has come on strong all spring with 14 strikeouts to only one walk in his seven outings, making it tough to send him down. Jose Arredondo has also pitched well and is out of options.

"Most cases, the WBC doesn't hurt guys. In that part, I think it hurt his progress some by not pitching," Baker said of Simon.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

With LeCure being the long man there really isnt a big need for a guy like Simon although I think Id rather have Alfredo than Arredondo. I remember times last season where Simon didnt pitch for over a week at a time it seemed and Im sure he was throwing bullpens while in the WBC. These are good decisions for a team to have. Lots of other teams wish they had as much bullpen depth as we do.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Parra pitched the final inning for the Reds in today's loss to Texas and allowed a run. Would speculate that being used in a mop up kind of role and allowing a run isn't optimal for Manny's chances.

With the exception of Hoover, none of the relievers on the bubble appear to be a sure thing based on performance; and Hoover isn't a sure thing because of options.

Izturis came in as a sub today and got a hit. He's getting into a lot of games, don't know what to make of that. Guessing that Reds are very seriously considering keeping Cesar.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-23-2013 at 10:58 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Simon is out of options. I can't imagine waiving a guy with a 2.66 ERA last season who had good peripherals as well. A trade has to be brewing or they are going to have to get really, really creative with the bullpen.

7. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Simon is out of options. I can't imagine waiving a guy with a 2.66 ERA last season who had good peripherals as well. A trade has to be brewing or they are going to have to get really, really creative with the bullpen.
    Agree they might make a trade, I've suggested maybe Arredondo.

But I also expect that somebody (Simon?) may get a pulled muscle or something else worthy of some DL time.

Just watched Izturis line a double to right, batting left handed, in the Sunday game against the Rangers. Donald apparently has an injury and thus has missed a few games. Don't know if he's a candidate for the DL, which would make the choice easier for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

But I also expect that somebody (Simon?) may get a pulled muscle or something else worthy of some DL time.
    Considering how the WBC affected his ability to get ready for the regular season, and compete for a job, I'm wondering if Bud would give the Reds an exemption for Simon and let them keep him in extended spring training until he's ready.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I suggest trading Ondrusek to the Cardinals, and in return, they guarantee to pitch him in at least 50 innings this season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

12. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (03-25-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Considering how the WBC affected his ability to get ready for the regular season, and compete for a job, I'm wondering if Bud would give the Reds an exemption for Simon and let them keep him in extended spring training until he's ready.
    It's called the disabled list. This won't be an issue.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Arredondo today, Sunday, got a double play. Then next inning he allowed two walks and a wild pitch.

He also got a strikeout of rookie phenom Profar. And then struck out the last guy on an off speed pitch.

Tantalizing stuff, puts runners on with walks. That's Jose.

Izturis walks and scores on double by Olivo.

Arroyo hit in hand with comebacker in this game, getting x-rays.

Mes singles home Olivo. This feels like a game thread.

Now Ondrusek is in -- he gives up runs and doesn't have it today. Did not help himself in this outing.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-24-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Arredondo today, Sunday, got a double play. Then next inning he allowed two walks and a wild pitch.

He also got a strikeout of rookie phenom Profar. And then struck out the last guy on an off speed pitch.

Tantalizing stuff, puts runners on with walks. That's Jose.

Izturis walks and scores on double by Olivo.

Arroyo hit in hand with comebacker in this game, getting x-rays.

Mes singles home Olivo. This feels like a game thread.

Now Ondrusek is in -- he gives up runs and doesn't have it today. Did not help himself in this outing.

Ondrusek and Arredondo making my case for 11 pitchers. 5 Starters who should give lots of innings and 5 relievers who can shut teams down (Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover and Lecure) and a LOOGY who can serve as an inning eater in blow-outs. If one of the top 10 goes down or goes south, you may need to go to 12, but why clutter the roster with one of those throw-away arms until it's needed?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Ondrusek and Arredondo making my case for 11 pitchers. 5 Starters who should give lots of innings and 5 relievers who can shut teams down (Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover and Lecure) and a LOOGY who can serve as an inning eater in blow-outs. If one of the top 10 goes down or goes south, you may need to go to 12, but why clutter the roster with one of those throw-away arms until it's needed?
    You need the additional pitchers to avoid overwork of your good relievers.

There's no advance notice in baseball. The long games, the early blowouts come without warning.

If I'm going to have a 25th man, I want him to be an extra pitcher to help keep the other guys rested.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I suggest trading Ondrusek to the Cardinals, and in return, they guarantee to pitch him in at least 50 innings this season.
    I really don't get the hate for Ondrusek. He's a perfectly serviceable 10th/11th/12th man on a pitching staff. He's posted a positive WAR in each of his three seasons with the Reds and has a career 119 ERA+ over 189 games. He is a slightly above-average major league reliever, not the bum some people make him out to be.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    I really don't get the hate for Ondrusek. He's a perfectly serviceable 10th/11th/12th man on a pitching staff. He's posted a positive WAR in each of his three seasons with the Reds and has a career 119 ERA+ over 189 games. He is a slightly above-average major league reliever, not the bum some people make him out to be.
    Doesn't miss bats, walk rate gets worse every year and he isn't used like a 10th/11th/12th man in the bullpen. He also found himself near the top of this chart in 2011, fortunately he didn't show up in 2012 because he wasn't given the chances like he was the year before : http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...-of-walk-offs/

But ultimately, I think it comes down to trust with Ondrusek. Most of us don't trust him. He walks a lot of guys and he relies on his defense to get outs. That is a recipe for disaster, even if the guy gets a lot of groundballs.

Turn Off Ads?