Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The Reds glut of 11th and 12th men should not preclude them from getting a guy for a more important role. If Hoover fails to make the team, it will be because the Reds chose to protect the Simon, Ondrusek, Arredondo glut and not because of Broxton. The interchangeable parts should be on the bubble, not Hoover or Broxton.
    I guess I'm operating under the belief that Aroldis will inevitably end up the closer. Hope I'm wrong.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I don't think Baker views Arredondo as a player who is going to come in to get LHH out- in the last couple of seasons, I seldom remember him facing LHH except in games that were not of the "close" variety.

That doesn't change your analysis, because I think that Arredondo has great value against LHH. However, usage is a key if this is going to be a battle, and Parra might have a leg up as a LHP even though Arredondo is basically a backwards RHP.
    I've felt all spring that Parra has a leg up over Arredondo. I've said often that I expected Jose to be traded because he had a bad second half last year and because of his walks. Also think Reds see Parra as versatile - can pitch longer stints as well as short relief.

Jose seems to be doing well now, so maybe I was premature and maybe Jose will make it. Statistically, the Reds must understand by now that his main value is against LHH.

If Chapman is in the pen, it's hard for me to see Chapman, Marshall, Jose, and Parra all making it. But anything's possible. We'll know soon enough.

I've tended to look at it as Arredondo v. Parra with lefty hitters in mind; and then Ondrusek v. Simon for the mop up/long man/ role.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I guess I'm operating under the belief that Aroldis will inevitably end up the closer. Hope I'm wrong.
    Doesn't change anything. Broxton is on a completely different level than Ondrusek, Simon and Arredondo. The Reds have a glut of fringe relievers, but there should be plenty of room for Broxton and Hoover unless they become too enamored of those guys. I though Ondrusek and Simon should have been non-tendered. If Chapman is the closer, Broxton was still necessary IMO. I think you need at least 3 guys for the 8th and 9th and I don't really think Anyone other Marshall and Broxton fit that description at this point. If Chapman is in the pen and not the rotation, that would make 3. Hoover is a potential 4th if he makes the team. If the Reds option him, it will be to keep one of those lesser guys.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I've felt all spring that Parra has a leg up over Arredondo. I've said often that I expected Jose to be traded because he had a bad second half last year and because of his walks. Also think Reds see Parra as versatile - can pitch longer stints as well as short relief.

Jose seems to be doing well now, so maybe I was premature and maybe Jose will make it. Statistically, the Reds must understand by now that his main value is against LHH.

If Chapman is in the pen, it's hard for me to see Chapman, Marshall, Jose, and Parra all making it. But anything's possible. We'll know soon enough.

I've tended to look at it as Arredondo v. Parra with lefty hitters in mind; and then Ondrusek v. Simon for the mop up/long man/ role.
    I get your view and could see it that way, but I'd keep both Arredondo and Parra at this point. I like your idea of stashing Simon with "WBCitis." Broxton, Marshall, Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, Lecure, Chapman/Leake. I'd try to find a taker for Ondrusek and that 2 year deal. Anything over minimum is just too much for that guy IMO. If Chapman makes the rotation to start the season, It's possible that they could option Leake before his 3 year clock requires his permission, but I'm guessing Leake will be on the major league team.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Another good offensive day by Izturis today, a hit and walk, and Donald charged with an error.

Prior threw a good inning, but he's not realistically going to make this team out of spring training. Ondrusek allowed a run in two innings, which seems to be par for the course these days.

To add a new name, Derrick Robinson, a non-roster outfielder, having a hot spring at .385. Conceivably could beat out XPaul, although I doubt it, X with a good OPS this spring. Robinson also could be an injury sub for Choo, who's had back trouble this spring.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-22-2013 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I get your view and could see it that way, but I'd keep both Arredondo and Parra at this point. I like your idea of stashing Simon with "WBCitis." Broxton, Marshall, Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, Lecure, Chapman/Leake. I'd try to find a taker for Ondrusek and that 2 year deal. Anything over minimum is just too much for that guy IMO. If Chapman makes the rotation to start the season, It's possible that they could option Leake before his 3 year clock requires his permission, but I'm guessing Leake will be on the major league team.
    If you're right - Chapman, Hoover, Marshall, Brox, Arredondo, Lecure and say Parra. Not too shabby.

To add a new name, Derrick Robinson, a non-roster outfielder, having a hot spring at .385. Conceivably could beat out XPaul, although I doubt it, X with a good OPS this spring. Robinson also could be an injury sub for Choo, who's had back trouble this spring.
    The 2013 version of..?

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Yeah even if Paul was struggling this spring he would still get my vote for LH bat bench. Robinson has had almost zero power his whole career and I like PH late in game with at least a chance of going deep to tie game with no one on. Heisey and Paul provide that.

Also think Reds see Parra as versatile - can pitch longer stints as well as short relief.
    They might view him that way, but those long stints have also been bad stints during his career. Parra hasn't even made a convincing case during his career that he can be trusted to pitch one full, pain-free inning on a regular basis.

We're now heading into the portion of ST where form matters (at least for guys trying to win a job). Unless Parra shifts into a much higher gear, I don't think he deserves to head north with the team.
    Last edited by M2; 03-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    They might view him that way, but those have been long stints have also been bad stints during his career. Parra hasn't even made a convincing case during his career that he can be trusted to pitch one full, pain-free inning on a regular basis.

We're now heading into the portion of ST where form matters (at least for guys trying to win a job). Unless Parra shifts into a much higher gear, I don't think he deserves to head north with the team.
    At this point, it's really hard to know what they will do.

At the beginning of spring, one could surmise that four pitchers from Leake, Hoover, Arredondo, Parra, Ondrusek and Simon would make the team.

I think we're in the same exact spot right now.

Based solely on this spring, I'd think that Hoover and Arredondo should be most likely to stay. But they aren't necessarily.

One can see a rationale for virtually any combination, whether we would agree with the decision or not.

PS - Reds sent Galarraga down, so 35 remain in camp .
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-22-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Now that Walt is on the record as saying the Reds are in win-now mode, I can't see Hoover being sent down. It would be a contradiction to claim you are all about winning now and then send down a better pitcher just because he has options.

13. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-22-2013),Raisor (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Now that Walt is on the record as saying the Reds are in win-now mode, I can't see Hoover being sent down. It would be a contradiction to claim you are all about winning now and then send down a better pitcher just because he has options.
    Agreed.

And I'm guessing Manny Parra's ticket to Louisville just got punched with the decision to keep Chapman as closer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Arredondo did not help himself today against Dodgers. Walk and double allowed in one inning. Allowed a run. Guy simply walks too many. I may re-institute my prediction that he gets traded.

Burriss walked a couple of times. Mes had a passed ball. Olivo a double.

Clay Hensley strikes out the first three he faces in the eighth. Unfortunately, one reached base on a wild pitch and scored on a three-out double. Manny Parra was ineffective again. He gives up a single, a triple, a walk and hits a batter in his inning of work. Only a fine two-out play with the bases loaded by Burriss kept the damage to one run. Votto and Frazier left the yard. Ryan Ludwick had a single and a double.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Agreed.

And I'm guessing Manny Parra's ticket to Louisville just got punched with the decision to keep Chapman as closer.
    I'm guessing Parra punched his own ticket with his unimpressive performance so far this spring.

Turn Off Ads?