Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 107

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

  1. #31
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    It is nice to see Yorman Rodriguez posting a line like this in his 21 PA: .333/.429/.778/1.206. It is understood that this is Spring Training but it is still encouraging to see.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

  2. Likes:

    Drugs Delaney (03-19-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    It is nice to see Yorman Rodriguez posting a line like this in his 21 PA: .333/.429/.778/1.206. It is understood that this is Spring Training but it is still encouraging to see.
    I got to see him play a bit in the B game Saturday. I thought he made a nice play on an extra base hit in the outfield, good throw to the cut off man. He got a hit as well.

    I know this is meaningless, but Yorman looks like a ballplayer. He seemed very comfortable out there. He's fast, he definitely has some tools.

    If he gets it together in the minors, one would think this guy can really emerge as a very good prospect and advance more quickly now. Glad the Reds are protecting him and sticking with him.

  5. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Hoover with another big night, four Ks in 1.1 innings against Rockies tonight. Guy is making it very hard for them to cut him. Maybe Reds will send him down because he HAS to cool off, LOL.

    Izturis with a hit tonight and reportedly hit the ball hard all game. Burriss an error. Donald and Izturis both still hitting at least .300 BA. Hensley with a clean inning.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-19-2013 at 01:40 AM.

  6. #34
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hoover with another big night, four Ks in 1.1 innings against Rockies tonight. Guy is making it very hard for them to cut him. Maybe Reds will send him down because he HAS to cool off, LOL.

    Izturis with a hit tonight and reportedly hit the ball hard all game. Burriss an error. Donald and Izturis both still hitting at least .300 BA. Hensley with a clean inning.
    Hoover's struck out the last seven guys he's faced. He's closer material, no doubt in my mind. The Broxton signing continues to baffle me.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  7. #35
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,232

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Hoover's struck out the last seven guys he's faced. He's closer material, no doubt in my mind. The Broxton signing continues to baffle me.
    We've said this same thing at one time or another on any number of relievers. Burton, Arredondo, Masset...hell, even Arroyo. While Hoover's upside is very solid, he lacks a track record. Broxton has a solid one. And whether he stays the closer or not...they did need the arm with Chapman moving out of the pen.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  8. #36
    OlafTheBlack Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    2,578

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    We've said this same thing at one time or another on any number of relievers. Burton, Arredondo, Masset...hell, even Arroyo. While Hoover's upside is very solid, he lacks a track record. Broxton has a solid one. And whether he stays the closer or not...they did need the arm with Chapman moving out of the pen.
    Closers are also in demand. If Broxton is solid, even with that contract he can probably be unloaded for a decent return from a club that's in contention.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

    Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

  9. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    I think some fans may be concerned that Broxton and Marshall combined got big salaries for relievers. If Chapman stays in the pen, that's three pretty big bullpen contracts.

    Doesn't bother me, I'm focused on the ballclub this year, not the financial statements. I like a quality bullpen and if the Reds feel they can devote some money to it, that's great.

    Looking ahead, Arroyo will be off the books next season, Choo probably will as well. Rolen is now off the books.

    The Reds know their finances, I'm sure they are focused on budget, and if they can afford experienced, quality relievers, that's great.

    They haven't exactly skimped on the rest of the team. Lot of guys getting paid real money throughout the club.

  10. #38
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,162

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    We've said this same thing at one time or another on any number of relievers. Burton, Arredondo, Masset...hell, even Arroyo. While Hoover's upside is very solid, he lacks a track record. Broxton has a solid one. And whether he stays the closer or not...they did need the arm with Chapman moving out of the pen.
    You say they needed the arm, but there's a good chance Hoover starts the year in AAA because there just isn't room if Parra makes the pen as a second lefty or if both Arredondo and Ondrusek are in (also likely, with one out of options and one on a multi-year deal). I appreciate bullpen surplus as much as the next guy, but not if you're committing serious money for parts that some believe, including myself, could be replicated in-house.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  11. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Wonder if Hoover's success will push Chapman to the rotation.

    Walt might be happy with Brox, Marshall, Hoover in late innings - might help him decide to start Chappy.

  12. Likes:

    jmac (03-19-2013), mbgrayson (03-20-2013)

  13. #40
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,232

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    You say they needed the arm, but there's a good chance Hoover starts the year in AAA because there just isn't room if Parra makes the pen as a second lefty or if both Arredondo and Ondrusek are in (also likely, with one out of options and one on a multi-year deal). I appreciate bullpen surplus as much as the next guy, but not if you're committing serious money for parts that some believe, including myself, could be replicated in-house.
    Let me elaborate. They needed a big arm with experience. A large portion of our pen are young guys with just a couple years experience. And Broxton is a considerable upgrade over Arredondo, Ondrusek, LeCure (stuff-wise), Parra, etc. They also needed someone with some MLB experience closing in case Chapman sticks in the rotation. Hoover looks great going forward, but on a team that is expected to contend for the pennant...I'm not sure they want a rookie assuming the closers role.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  14. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Mes catching Bailey today in Cactus League play.

    I think this will carry over to the regular season.

  15. #42
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,728

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    You say they needed the arm, but there's a good chance Hoover starts the year in AAA because there just isn't room if Parra makes the pen as a second lefty or if both Arredondo and Ondrusek are in (also likely, with one out of options and one on a multi-year deal). I appreciate bullpen surplus as much as the next guy, but not if you're committing serious money for parts that some believe, including myself, could be replicated in-house.
    The Reds glut of 11th and 12th men should not preclude them from getting a guy for a more important role. If Hoover fails to make the team, it will be because the Reds chose to protect the Simon, Ondrusek, Arredondo glut and not because of Broxton. The interchangeable parts should be on the bubble, not Hoover or Broxton.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  16. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,276

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Arredondo and Parra each threw 1.1 in the game v. Chisox today. Jose did well with a couple of Ks. Parra walked four guys.

    Arredondo-Parra could be a direct battle since the purpose of each would be mostly to get out lefties. Arredondo now at 3.38 ERA, Parra over 4. Arredondo with a better WHIP too. Parra does have 10 Ks in 11 IP. Parra also has allowed 11 hits in those 11 IP.

    I thought Jose would get traded, but his spring is improving and maybe he'll earn a continuing role, we'll know soon enough.

    Bullpen battle gets even more interesting as Simon will now return from WBC. Let's see how he does.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-20-2013 at 01:26 AM.

  17. #44
    Arbiter of Good Taste OGB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,134

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    If Mes is improved enough with the stick and even a little better behind the dish, I could see him taking a 3rd member of the rotation away from Hanigan. I'm a huge fan of Ryan, but the Reds look at Mes not only as the future, but also a potential perennial All Star.
    Looking down the road at this offseason/2014, I've also heard that a lot of clubs have shown major interest in Hanigan and he'd probably bring a nice return. Not that I want to trade him, but that's an option. Keep in mind that if Mesaraco develops into "the guy," that most All Star level catchers play 4 out of 5 games, not 3.
    Last edited by OGB; 03-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

  18. #45
    Moderator Plus Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,494

    Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Arredondo and Parra each threw 1.1 in the game v. Chisox today. Jose did well with a couple of Ks. Parra walked four guys.

    Arredondo-Parra could be a direct battle since the purpose of each would be mostly to get out lefties. Arredondo now at 3.38 ERA, Parra over 4. Arredondo with a better WHIP too. Parra does have 10 Ks in 11 IP. Parra also has allowed 11 hits in those 11 IP.

    I thought Jose would get traded, but his spring is improving and maybe he'll earn a continuing role, we'll know soon enough.

    Bullpen battle gets even more interesting as Simon will now return from WBC. Let's see how he does.
    I don't think Baker views Arredondo as a player who is going to come in to get LHH out- in the last couple of seasons, I seldom remember him facing LHH except in games that were not of the "close" variety.

    That doesn't change your analysis, because I think that Arredondo has great value against LHH. However, usage is a key if this is going to be a battle, and Parra might have a leg up as a LHP even though Arredondo is basically a backwards RHP.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

  19. Likes:

    Kc61 (03-20-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25