Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Sheldon predicts Hoover, Parra, Simon, and Burriss for the final four spots on the roster. (He also suggests Arredondo could get traded, he must be reading my posts, LOL.)

I agree with Sheldon on the pitchers. Five very good relievers to pitch most games. Parra and Simon to eat innings and for spot duty (Simon in extras, Parra as LOOGY).

I don't agree that Burriss will make it. My own prediction is that Izturis will make it because Dusty/Walt like pure shortstops. Guessing Donald to DL.

Fay suggests that Arredondo may have secured a spot. I'm guessing the Reds remember the stretch drive/playoffs last year and won't keep Jose for another go around.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-28-2013 at 02:01 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ondrusek has struggled mightily. He has a 8.38 ERA and has allowed 16 hits in 9 2/3 innings this spring and he has options.“His command is off and his velocity is down some,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “When it’s down, the more you try to create velocity, the less velocity you have.”Ondrusek has assured the Reds he’s healthy.
    “It’s a little bewildering to some of us,” Baker said. “I’m sure it is to him to as to why.”
    From Fay's blog. I hadn't heard that Ondrusek's velocity was down. Louisville-bound and down for the tall righthander - probably.

“He’s got to make the team first,” Baker said. “Manny’s better than he’s been here. Fortunately for us, we’ve seen him on the other side. We’ve seen him very good. (If he makes team), it will probably be a situation much like Billy Bray last year — a second lefty, take pressure off (Sean) Marshall.”
    Also from Fay's blog. Sounds as if Parra has a solid chance, even though Arredondo is better at getting batters from both sides of the plate out.

Arredondo was a shaky early. But he’s allowed only one run on five hits over his last seven games and eight innings. He’s walked three and struck out eight in that stretch.
    Doesn't matter. Johnny "By the Book" Baker wants him another lefty. I hope I am wrong.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Why do we need another lefty? We have two already with Marshall and Chapman and Arredondo is better than a lot of LOOGY types in his own right.

Arredondo's .860 OPS against in the second half last year doesn't help his cause. Arredondo's 110 walks in 220 major league innings also doesn't help his cause.

He may make it, but he's no lock.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Why do we need another lefty? We have two already with Marshall and Chapman and Arredondo is better than a lot of LOOGY types in his own right.
    Does a lefty closer really count as a lefty?

He is not available for situational matchups. He's only available in the ninth inning when the Reds have a lead, regardless of which side of the plate the opposing batters stand on.

I wonder if any other team would be willing to trade two #11 bullpen arms for one with options?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Arredondo's .860 OPS against in the second half last year doesn't help his cause. Arredondo's 110 walks in 220 major league innings also doesn't help his cause.

Why should his second half numbers hold extra weight?

You could just as easily cite his amazing first half (582 OPS against) as a reason to put him on the Opening Day roster while his arm is fresh and then deal him before he starts to wear down.

On the whole, Jose Has been a damn solid reliever for the Reds. I find it amazing that some fans want the Reds to just give away a guy who has a career 130 ERA+ with great K/IP and H/IP peripherals. He has also pitched great down the stretch this spring. If the Reds waive Arrendondo, someone absolutely will claim him. Why give away a valuable asset when you don't have to?

9. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-28-2013)

He's got Manny Parra's career number beat by a country mile. I'm no huge Arredondo fan, but Parra's a bad pitcher who happens to be left-handed. Maybe he can be a LOOGY. Yet that's theory. He's yet to be effective in that role.

Ultimately I'm willing to trust Price's call on this. He's earned the benefit of a doubt. I'm just not terribly enthused by anyone who's been functional losing a spot to Manny Parra.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover, LeCure, and Arredondo would be locks for my bullpen, with the final spot coming down to Parra or Simon.

12. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Why should his second half numbers hold extra weight?

You could just as easily cite his amazing first half (582 OPS against) as a reason to put him on the Opening Day roster while his arm is fresh and then deal him before he starts to wear down.

On the whole, Jose Has been a damn solid reliever for the Reds. I find it amazing that some fans want the Reds to just give away a guy who has a career 130 ERA+ with great K/IP and H/IP peripherals. He has also pitched great down the stretch this spring. If the Reds waive Arrendondo, someone absolutely will claim him. Why give away a valuable asset when you don't have to?
    Nobody said Arredondo should be waived or given away. I've suggested a dozen times on here they should consider a trade. That's "trade."

No reliever who walks 110 in 220 innings is "damn solid." Last year Jose walked more than 5 batters per nine innings. His second half was disturbing - it is the most recent showing of his pitching in regular games and it wasn't pretty. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe not, that's for the Reds to decide.

If they keep him, fine, but I have no problem if they decide to go with two guys like Simon and Parra who can pitch longer stretches and save the pen in one-sided games. Not that either of them is a great pitcher, not saying that.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Ultimately I'm willing to trust Price's call on this. He's earned the benefit of a doubt. I'm just not terribly enthused by anyone who's been functional losing a spot to Manny Parra.
    Hopefully it's Price's call to make.

Nobody said Arredondo should be waived or given away. I've suggested a dozen times on here they should consider a trade. That's "trade."

No reliever who walks 110 in 220 innings is "damn solid." Last year Jose walked more than 5 batters per nine innings. His second half was disturbing - it is the most recent showing of his pitching in regular games and it wasn't pretty. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe not, that's for the Reds to decide.

If they keep him, fine, but I have no problem if they decide to go with two guys like Simon and Parra who can pitch longer stretches and save the pen in one-sided games. Not that either of them is a great pitcher, not saying that.
    If the Reds can get value for him on the trade market, I'm all for that. However, given that opening day is just a few days away, I'd say they either have no interest in trading him or they have not found any suitors willing to give up something of equal value. This leads me to believe a trade is not an option at this time, so the remaining choices are waive him or keep him.

As far as his walks go ... I was not aware that walks are the only measure of a pitcher. Arrendondo has posted a positive WAR in each of the last two seasons, strikes out nearly a batter an inning, and is very hard to hit. That more than makes up for his subpar walk rate.

J.J. Hoover struck out 3 more batters today in one inning of work. Now has a 1.80 ERA and 2 BB/19 K in 10 IP this season. Yeah, he belongs on the roster.

Arredondo and Ondrusek each threw 1-2-3 innings, while Manny Parra gave up three runs in two innings.

17. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If the Reds can get value for him on the trade market, I'm all for that. However, given that opening day is just a few days away, I'd say they either have no interest in trading him or they have not found any suitors willing to give up something of equal value. This leads me to believe a trade is not an option at this time, so the remaining choices are waive him or keep him.

As far as his walks go ... I was not aware that walks are the only measure of a pitcher. Arrendondo has posted a positive WAR in each of the last two seasons, strikes out nearly a batter an inning, and is very hard to hit. That more than makes up for his subpar walk rate.
    We just disagree. I don't want relievers who chronically allow walks. Jose allowed over 5 walks per nine in 2011 and 2012. His propensity for walks wasn't much better with the Angels.

I'm also wary of relievers who get hit hard in the second half of the previous year. Maybe it was fatigue, maybe it won't repeat, but maybe it will. Call it "last impressions."

On the other hand, Parra and Ondrusek haven't exactly distinguished themselves this spring, so the choice may not make too much difference.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-29-2013 at 12:16 AM.

The IF back-up battle is intriguing in a bottom feeder kind of way. None are particularly good bats, but Donald probably has the most offensive potential. Izturis is far and away the best defender at SS. Donald can play many positions, but Burris is probably more versatile and defends better at all of them than Donald. Burris and Izturis are switch hitters while Donald is a RH bat. Donald has a career .775 OPS against LHP which makes him the only one who may be an option as a situational PH.

IMO, I want Izturis avaiable to defend at SS on a daily basis if something happens to Cozart to keep him out for an extended period (more than 3 or 4 days). If Izturis is willing to go to AAA as an insurance policy, then Donald would be my choice to make the team. If Izturis would want his release if he doesn't make the team, I think I'd keep him on the roster over the others because the "who can play if Cozart gets hurt" question is the most important consideration for this player IMO. I'd prefer to keep that insurance stashed at AAA, but I'd give up the slightly better bat to keep that insurance around if necessary.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?