Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

I know. Spring training stats mean nothing. They mean less than nothing. I know.

But the Reds do have some battles for positions. One catching spot perhaps. A middle infielder. Bullpen.

So I thought we might have a thread to follow these battles. The stats may not determine anything. I know. It's just for fun.

So far, Mesoraco has a 1.364 OPS and has hit very well. Olivo has a .585 OPS. Olivo has 13 ABs, Mes 11. Very early.

So far, Izturis has a .585 OPS (.350 OBP) in 17 at bats. Donald .888 OPS in 16 at bats. Burriss .714 with a .332 OBP. I think the Reds would like to keep Donald, they traded for him, he could be the early favorite.

Parra. Very good start in 2 outings, 1 hit allowed, no walks, 3.2 innings.

Hensley also has done well early, probably no realistic shot, but whatever.

Hoover 2.45 ERA in 3 games although a lot of baserunners.

Ondrusek has 3 games so far, 3.00 ERA, also a lot of baserunners.

Arredondo and Simon haven't started that well. Arredondo has a 7.36 and Simon's ERA is over 11.00. I'd watch Arredondo. He had a bad second half, I don't see him as a lock.

XPaul - some folks think he is on the bubble - he's got a .734 early, has a homer, five runs scored, five Ks.

Doesn't matter, very early, but worth keeping an eye on these battles.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-04-2013 at 11:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

The problem with putting a lot of stock in spring training performances is that virtually every spring, there is one guy who comes out of nowhere and has a great spring. That player takes up a roster spot from a guy who may have a poor spring, but ultimately will be the better player.

It seems as if this is a yearly thing.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    The problem with putting a lot of stock in spring training performances is that virtually every spring, there is one guy who comes out of nowhere and has a great spring. That player takes up a roster spot from a guy who may have a poor spring, but ultimately will be the better player.

It seems as if this is a yearly thing.
    It is a yearly thing with nearly every team in baseball. There is a tryout and the manager/general manager miss on one guy (sometimes more).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Izturis with a homer and two hits in two tries today. Hoover closes the game out with two strikeouts. The plot thickens.

6. Likes:

jmac (03-09-2013)

Izturis with a two run single today against the Chisox, with two outs, second consecutive game with a big hit for him.

Just reading Dusty's mind, this guy is a serious contender to make the ballclub. Mr. Donald, the pressure is on you.

Frazier having a big day at the plate, but he's set. Choo with four hits.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-10-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Ludwick struggling...3 K's against CWS today....hope he wakes up soon, don't wait til June or July like last year or Votto will be walked a ton.

One of the blogs said that Tucker Barnhart and pitcher Justin Freeman were reassigned to minor league camp, both non-roster invitees.

Expect a bunch of cuts pretty soon, although last year it was later in March before first cuts were made.

Mes having way better spring than Olivo whose OPS is .452. Mes 6 for 15 with 2 homers.

Donald and Izturis both well over .800 OPS. Burriss trailing down at .680.

XPaul .758 OPS in 23 at bats, seems safe to me.

Hoover 1.93 ERA with good peripherals. Making it difficult to send him down.

Hensley 1.29 ERA in 7 IP, although has allowed 3 unearned runs.

Parra at 4.05 ERA, good WHIP. Arredondo 5.79 with high WHIP. Ondrusek 2.25 with high WHIP. Simon 1 earned run in 3 innings in the WBC.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Donald and Izturis both well over .800 OPS. Burriss trailing down at .680.
    All guys are hitting .300 or better though. Final roster spot on the bench and all guys are doing well to this point.

Ludwick continuing to struggle.....0 for 2 Tuesday against LAD with 2 more K's. That's 5 K's in his last 6 AB. Beginning to worry about our #4 hitter.

From Reds.com today

Baker said that some of the positional battles remain too close to call. He mentioned the backup-catcher job, which is likely down to Devin Mesoraco and veteran Miguel Olivo. "It's a real tough decision," Baker said.
    Devin Mesoraco is hitting .471/.526/.941 for an OPS of 1.467.
    Miguel Olivo is hitting .105/.143/.263 for an OPS of .406. Oh and 9 strikeouts against 1 walk in 20 plate appearances.

I know that he probably isn't going to come out and say "Olivo has played terribly", but can't you say that Mesoraco is playing like Barry Bonds and Olivo needs to get things going a little bit? Or something. There is absolutely nothing tough about the decision as it currently stands between those two.

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-13-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-13-2013)

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-chapman-soon/

Dusty wants a decision on Chapman and soon.

“I’d like to make a decision in the next week or so, so I can get my team together. The decision is not only mine, it’s ours. But I got my opinion.”

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From Reds.com today

Miguel Olivo is hitting .105/.143/.263 for an OPS of .406. Oh and 9 strikeouts against 1 walk in 20 plate appearances.

I know that he probably isn't going to come out and say "Olivo has played terribly", but can't you say that Mesoraco is playing like Barry Bonds and Olivo needs to get things going a little bit? Or something. There is absolutely nothing tough about the decision as it currently stands between those two.
    Olivo should be this years Navarro: depth in case something happens to Hanigan or Mes. I have nothing personal against Miguel, in fact I really don't know very much about him, but looking at his stats, he simply has no business being on the 25 man roster of a contending team. Put him on a non-contender and he would probably get a better chance, but if we're gunning for a WS we need the best roster possible.

As a side note, it's great to see Mes hitting well this spring. It doesn't mean anything, of course, but it's got to help his confidence. He had zero confidence by mid-2012, and I think it's fair to say that it compounded his offensive difficulties.

Hard for me to find the stats, so does anyone know how Mes did last spring?
    Last edited by bigredmechanism; 03-13-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Ludwick continuing to struggle.....0 for 2 Tuesday against LAD with 2 more K's. That's 5 K's in his last 6 AB. Beginning to worry about our #4 hitter.
    A little early for that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From Reds.com today

Except it's not nearly as simple as who is having a better spring. Hanigan is going to be the No. 1 catcher and get the majority of starts. The backup is going to get 1-2 starts per week (argue the merits of that arrangement all you want; it's reality). So, is that how you want Mesoraco to spend his season? Or would he be better off getting a full season of at-bats at AAA? Is the difference between Mesoraco and Olivo great enough in those 1-2 starts per week to justify a year of spinning Mesoraco's wheels as a spot player?

We can agree those spring numbers mean nothing, right? That Mes isn't going to be Babe Ruth and Olivo isn't going to be Ruth Ginsburg? That offensive numbers aren't the only thing -- or even the most important thing -- to be considered when deciding on a backup catcher? If we can agree on all those things and the reality of the opportunity with the big-league club (limited), then this decision isn't nearly as clear-cut as you make it out to be.

Turn Off Ads?