Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Battles and Stats

Not sure if there is a scenario where Ondrusek CAN make the roster............
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

2. Turn Off Ads?

also not sure how Alfredo Simon can make the roster. If Ondrusek and Simon are gone , sent for assigment, claimed off waivers, sent to AAA, etc., that would leave 13 pitchers on the active roster. Someone else needs to go..........
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Reds bombed today by Mariners. Hoover pitched near the end and fanned two guys in an inning. Parra allowed a hit in 1.1 innings.

Reds certainly are taking their time with cuts, still a number of non-roster guys left in camp with less than a week left.

In the case of Chapman I think he was a major force against what I wanted. But here I have got to believe Dusty is a major force pushing for Hoover to be on the team.

I think Dusty knows if this team doesn't win he'll get the blame, and I have to believe he thinks Hoover gives them the best shot as another dominating bullpen arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds bombed today by Mariners. Hoover pitched near the end and fanned two guys in an inning. Parra allowed a hit in 1.1 innings.

Reds certainly are taking their time with cuts, still a number of non-roster guys left in camp with less than a week left.
    28 guys on the active roster and 7 non-roster guys by my count. Izturis and Hensley the only non roster guys I can see making the opening day roster. So it looks like it's down to 20 guys for 25 spots.

16 are pitchers, with Masset being one of them, so 15 guys for 12 spots. I think Simon is destined for the DL or something like that, so really 14 guys for 12 spots. When talking about the pen, Dusty emphasized that options play a role, even though he didn't like that they do. I wouldn't be shocked if Hoover starts the season in AAA.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    28 guys on the active roster and 7 non-roster guys by my count. Izturis and Hensley the only non roster guys I can see making the opening day roster. So it looks like it's down to 20 guys for 25 spots.

16 are pitchers, with Masset being one of them, so 15 guys for 12 spots. I think Simon is destined for the DL or something like that, so really 14 guys for 12 spots. When talking about the pen, Dusty emphasized that options play a role, even though he didn't like that they do. I wouldn't be shocked if Hoover starts the season in AAA.
    I've only caught a couple of games, but from what I saw and the box scores, Izturis has earned it. Whether he will get the spot is anybody's guess.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

Agreeing with the math -- Four spots open as I see it.

Izturis v. Donald for one spot.

Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Parra, Simon for the other three spots.

Simon likely to DL or something similar. One additional reliever from group must be cut.

I will be grossly disappointed if Hoover is the one to leave the roster.

I'm still guessing one of the others will be traded, with Jose A. the most attractive bait.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-26-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Agreeing with the math -- Four spots open as I see it.

Izturis v. Donald for one spot.

Hoover, Arredondo, Ondrusek, Parra, Simon for the other three spots.

Simon likely to DL or something similar. One additional reliever from group must be cut.

I will be grossly disappointed if Hoover is the one to leave the roster.

I'm still guessing one of the others will be traded, with Jose A. the most attractive bait.
    Olivo v. Mes is another spot still up for grabs. Mes would have seemingly won the job, but as long as Olivo is in camp....

Decision on Olivo due on Tuesday. I have to think a cut will come very soon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Olivo v. Mes is another spot still up for grabs. Mes would have seemingly won the job, but as long as Olivo is in camp....

Decision on Olivo due on Tuesday. I have to think a cut will come very soon.
    I'd be shocked if they keep Olivo. I know others are less optimistic, but I think the #1 reason he was brought in to camp was to both light a fire under Mes and serve as another mentor for him. The idea of him making the roster was almost entirely a backup in the event Mes hadn't made progress.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou1990 View Post
    also not sure how Alfredo Simon can make the roster. If Ondrusek and Simon are gone , sent for assigment, claimed off waivers, sent to AAA, etc., that would leave 13 pitchers on the active roster. Someone else needs to go..........
    It's interesting to me that both Simon and Arredondo have noticeable reverse splits. Given that, I'm not sure you necessarily have a lot of extra value carrying Parra who is pretty much just a LOOGY.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    It's interesting to me that both Simon and Arredondo have noticeable reverse splits. Given that, I'm not sure you necessarily have a lot of extra value carrying Parra who is pretty much just a LOOGY.
    My main reason for wanting Parra over the other 2 is that he will clearly be the loogy and hopefully not pitch in other situations. He also can give more innings than Arredondo and could double as the guy to eat innings in a blow-out.

Being RH pitchers, Arredondo, Simon and Ondrusek are used too often when they have no business in the game. Let 'em go and make a clear split from the top 5 guys (Chapman, Marshall, Broxton, Hoover and Lecure) and whoever else is in the pen. Five deep in higher quality should be plenty to avoid using the mop-up types when the game is on the line. If they must have a 12th (something I think is not necessary on this particular staff) then a clear mop-up guy like Hensley would be just fine.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Izturis, a natural shortstop, is making it a difficult decision. Two more hits tonight, a single and a double. Hensley hurled a scoreless ninth. Simon gave up a run in his two innings. But Cowboy and Thom said he had good stuff. Phipps with two hits including a bomb that would have been out almost anywhere else, it hit 35 feet up the batter's eye out over the 410 mark in dead center.
    Cueto was vintage Cueto. Bruce singled and tripled. Lutz one-upped him by doubling and homering.

Re: 2013 Reds Spring Training Final Battles for Spots

Two pitchers, De La Rosa and Hensley sent down.

That leaves no more non-roster pitchers. The Reds pitching staff is now two men over the 12 pitcher "limit" (Masset not included). This is the bullpen logjam we've been discussing and two guys won't make it.

The position players are nearly set, except five non-roster players remain. Outfielders Phipps and Robinson, who I assume are injury protection and will be sent down eventually. Same with Corky Miller.

Then there's Izturis and Burriss who are still battling Donald for that reserve middle infielder spot.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Some of the guys who will be cut are good enough for today's 30 team MLB. The three infielders are good enough to play big league ball IMO.

Can't really speak to Donald, but I've seen Izturis and Burriss this spring and they are good enough for many big league rosters.

In today's baseball of 12 and 13 man pitching staffs, all the competing Reds pitchers are good enough to be on somebody's roster.

It may be that Reds are looking for deals. Some of these guys may not want to go to the minors and some may have the right (by contract, seniority) to say no.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

BTW, certain Reds articles say there are still 34 guys in camp. I count 33, which I believe is correct based on the original list of roster and non-roster players. Some people may still be counting Galarraga (quietly sent down) or Olivo (deciding whether to accept minor league assignment).

Since I don't view Robinson, Phipps, Miller, or Masset as likely choices for the final roster, I think there are really 29 guys - including 27 roster players (two pitchers over) and two non-roster players (Burriss and Izturis).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Listening to Dusty on radio today, he thinks Simon is ready, plans to use him once more in the spring, had better control than usual last night. I got the impression that Simon is slated to make the team, although Dusty certainly didn't say that expressly. So much for WBCitis. Maybe not good news for Hoover.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-27-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Ondrusek allowed two runs in the final inning today. If the Reds keep him over Hoover, it there will be a lot of unhappiness. Logan's ERA is over 8.

After seeing what big O did today and the fact that he has options left he will not make this team.
    There's no crying in baseball!!!! Tom Hanks

Turn Off Ads?