Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buster Olney and Jonah Keri on the Reds

Buster Olney and Jonah Keri on the Reds

Very good stuff. Keri thinks the Reds are the best team in baseball, and Olney thinks very highly of Chapman as a starter, comparing him to Cy Young winner David Price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DJsI5TXGNXk

Reds talk starts around the 9:15 area.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-05-2013 at 10:03 AM.

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-05-2013),bigredmechanism (03-05-2013),Homer Bailey (03-05-2013),Playadlc (03-06-2013),RichRed (03-05-2013),Spider Tre (03-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney and Jonah Keri on the Reds

Surprised Olney took the time to think of something other then the Yankees
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-05-2013),LexRedsFan (03-05-2013),redsrolen (03-08-2013)

Keri "So Buster what do you think of the defending NL Central Champion Cincinnati Reds?"

Olney "Where's Cincinnati? What's the NL? Netherlands? Is this about the WBC?"

Keri "Buster...The NL is the National League."

Olney "Is that a minor league for the the AL East?"

Keri "Please shoot yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Keri "So Buster what do you think of the defending NL Central Champion Cincinnati Reds?"

Olney "Where's Cincinnati? What's the NL? Netherlands? Is this about the WBC?"

Keri "Buster...The NL is the National League."

Olney "Is that a minor league for the the AL East?"

Keri "Please shoot yourself."
    lol To be fair, Buster talked very highly of the Reds, and had some very fascinating things to say about Votto. So contrary to what I said above, he actually was very kind to the Reds in that story.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

8. Likes:

redsrolen (03-08-2013)

This is absolutely must watch material for Reds fans. Two very astute guys discussing the Reds, mostly glowing in their praise of Votto and discussing the Chapman to the rotation thing.

Olney also suggests that Mes could wind up at AAA to rebuild his confidence.

Thanks for posting, great stuff.

10. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-05-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-05-2013),redsrolen (03-08-2013),RiverRat13 (03-05-2013),Spider Tre (03-05-2013),Virginia Beach Reds (03-08-2013)

If you want to criticize Buster's analysis, reporting style, and overall lack of understanding of the marketplace/a players value, I think there is a lot there to be criticized. I think he's pretty awful at reporting what matters, but pretty much any mainstream baseball writer is, as his goal is to appeal to the masses.

However, the whole "he only talks about the Yankees" thing is extremely tiresome. The guy reports a ton on the Reds, and every team for that matter.

Jonah Keri is awesome, for the record.

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-05-2013),OnBaseMachine (03-05-2013),Revering4Blue (03-07-2013)

i clicked the video, i skipped to around 9:10 and the first thing i heard was "monkey testicles". alright...

anywhooo... lol
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

Did Buster Olney borrow his dad's blazer before he went on camera?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Thanks OBM ,glad to see you back out front.
    May the Lord bless

16. Likes:

OnBaseMachine (03-06-2013)

Regardless, the video was a pleasure. It's nice to see or hear nice things about the Reds, something we only dreamed of just a few years ago. Walt, regardless of the weaknesses, has built a great club. Now they have to perform, which is a fragile thing in the whole scheme of things. Will Cozart be worthy of the shortstop job? Will Ludwick do what he did in 2012? Will Choo handle CF? Will Chapman become a reliable starter? Will Cueto perform as he did in 2012? Lots of questions and answers will come only when we start playing in earnest. All are optimistic this time of year, but the proof is in the pudding. We shall soon see.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

18. Likes:

Virginia Beach Reds (03-08-2013)

Very interesting to hear about the Rays trying to trade repeatedly for Hanigan.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Very interesting to hear about the Rays trying to trade repeatedly for Hanigan.
    I found that interesting, too. Once you think it about it, Hannigan would be the type of player the Rays would try to target for the right price. I wonder what the Reds asked for in return.

Hanigan is a very under rated player. From a metrics standpoint he is extremely valuable. It doesn't surprise me at all that the Rays would want him. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams showed interest as well.
    Last edited by joshua; 03-07-2013 at 01:06 AM.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    If you want to criticize Buster's analysis, reporting style, and overall lack of understanding of the marketplace/a players value, I think there is a lot there to be criticized. I think he's pretty awful at reporting what matters, but pretty much any mainstream baseball writer is, as his goal is to appeal to the masses.

However, the whole "he only talks about the Yankees" thing is extremely tiresome. The guy reports a ton on the Reds, and every team for that matter.

Jonah Keri is awesome, for the record.
    For the record, while he is a former Yankee beat writer, he's a Dodger fan by birth. I don't perceive any bias in him.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    For the record, while he is a former Yankee beat writer, he's a Dodger fan by birth. I don't perceive any bias in him.
    I think we often blame the reporter for the choices of the director/editor.

My guess is Olney has data and stories and insight on every team, but the folks who plan the shows pick the stories they want him to talk about.

Turn Off Ads?