Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UC Football must be smiling today.

Re: UC Football must be smiling today.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Doubling the average Nippert crowd would sell out PBS. The Louisville game at PBS had 41,000. The WVU game had 48,000. Of those, Louisville brought about 1500 fans and WVU brought about 5000.
    Nippert's capacity is 35k. I don't know what the average last season was (without WVU and with UL away), but I highly doubt it was 32k (PBS's capacity is 65k).
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Nippert's capacity is 35k. I don't know what the average last season was (without WVU and with UL away), but I highly doubt it was 32k (PBS's capacity is 65k).
    That's the rub UC faces. Auburn suffered through its worst football season in history and people often commented on how empty the stadium seemed with 65,000 people still showing up.

The small capacity of Nippert is hurting UC's ability to court the football conferences.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I'd say this is more of a condemnation of UC football than anything. It's just not relevant in this town.
    I'm a season ticket holder and contribute quite a bit to the football program. I know plenty of other folks that are in the same boat. There are plenty of people that are passionate about the program, and that number is growing. Is it where other tradition rich programs are? No. Is there more work to do? Obviously. While the football program simply was not relevant in this town for four decades, that isn't the case today. Student support is awesome, but alumni and broader city support needs a lot of work. Of course, blanket comments that UC football just isn't relevant don't help a whole lot. Checked out how relevant the U is in Miami these days?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    That's the rub UC faces. Auburn suffered through its worst football season in history and people often commented on how empty the stadium seemed with 65,000 people still showing up.

The small capacity of Nippert is hurting UC's ability to court the football conferences.
    I agree, but revenue is a bigger problem. They're addressing this with the current expansion project. They currently have (IIRC) two terrible "luxury" boxes.

Pitt: 33562
    Delaware: 27112
    Miami: 35097
    Fordham: 26317
    Syracuse: 26180
    Rutgers: 34526
    USF: 21171

Average: 29137

Last year's attendance was suppressed for two reasons; both were out of UC's control. First, they were forced into scheduling a second 1-AA team. Second, ESPN scheduled the USF game on Black Friday. With campus empty, only 500 students showed up. Given a normal home schedule, 32k is a reasonable expected average for Nippert.

The weather gods didn't smile on that Syracuse game; it was pretty miserable. Everyone has to deal with weather issues, but bad weather seems to keep people away more than other cities.

Also, UC reports actual gate attendance, unlike many other schools.
    Last edited by paintmered; 03-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Pitt: 33562
    Delaware: 27112
    Miami: 35097
    Fordham: 26317
    Syracuse: 26180
    Rutgers: 34526
    USF: 21171

Average: 29137

Last year's attendance was suppressed for two reasons; both were out of UC's control. First, they were forced into scheduling a second 1-AA team. Second, ESPN scheduled the USF game on Black Friday. With campus empty, only 500 students showed up. Given a normal home schedule, 32k is a reasonable expected average for Nippert.

The weather gods didn't smile on that Syracuse game; it was pretty miserable. Everyone has to deal with weather issues, but bad weather seems to keep people away more than other cities.

Also, UC reports actual gate attendance, unlike many other schools.
    Do you think the average attendance against teams like Tulane, Temple, Memphis, and SMU will be >32K? BTW, I'm well aware of the reasons for last year's poor attendance. BTW, that second 1-AA team was a result of WVU's abrupt departure. Kind of ties back to my original point about how damaging that loss was.

Nice to cherry pick two of the biggest under performers, but don't forget that this league also had regional rivals Pitt, WVU, and UL. There was plenty of fan interest for those teams.
    Pitt has fans? You dont say! You could have fooled me with their 3/4 empty NFL stadium season of games (minus ND, who would draw 50k on the moon). Pitt deserves to be the ACC with the rest of the schools who don't give a rats backside about football. Both UCs deserves better, Rutgers deserved better (and got it), Maryland deserved better (and got it). FSU, NC St, and Va Tech also deserve better.

In a perfect world that Big 12 goes to 16....
    Pod 1:
    WVU
    Va Tech
    Cincy
    Iowa State

Pod 2:
    FSU
    Miami
    Ga Tech
    NC State

Pod 3:
    Texas
    Oklahoma
    OK St
    Tex Tech

Pod 4:
    TCU
    Baylor
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And, just like that, realignment is effectively over:

Brett McMurphy:
    ACC presidents approve Grant of Rights thru 2026-27 sources tell @espn. B1G will have to look elsewhere. 1st reported by @DavidGlennShow
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And, just like that, realignment is effectively over:

Brett McMurphy:
    Sorry, but I'm not buying that realignment is over. Over for UC? Might be the case. It's not over though.

It would be over at the highest levels for a while if the ACC GoR deal is true. The Big XII and ACC were the only poachable conferences (with teams anyone wanted), and if they are off limits, that's pretty much it. Now, the Big XII may still want to get to 12, so that could keep UC, USF, BYU, Boise and UConn in play to some extent, but that's pretty minor stuff in the landscape (though not minor to those particular schools, of course).

Big XII needs to go to 12 if they want a championship game unless the BCS schools successfully ditch NCAA governance.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Big XII needs to go to 12 if they want a championship game unless the BCS schools successfully ditch NCAA governance.
    Or get an NCAA rule change. Either way, the conference championship game isn't profitable enough by itself to justify dividing the pot 12 ways instead of 10. They needed to be able to pry away schools like FSU, Miami, Clemson, maybe BYU to make it worth the trouble. And if the dollars don't justify it, they don't have to expand.

I do think there was a period last summer when the playoff rules were being hashed out when those ACC schools and the Big 12 office were on each others' speed dial. There was a possibility that conferences would have to have 12 teams and a CCG to have preferred seating, so to speak. But in the end, it wasn't a requirement, just like Notre Dame discovered it wouldn't be forced to join a league to have access to the playoff. That took away a lot of expansion momentum. Now, it's back to being only about money again.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I never thought I'd see the day that a Golic played football someplace other than Notre Dame but here you have it:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...to-cincinnati/

Jake Golic, a TE, will play for UC this year. Apparently if you've already graduated, you don't have to sit out a year. I don't know if this means Gunner Kiel has the inside track on the starting QB job or not

Kiel has to sit out, though, right? So he and Golic will not play (in games) together.

16. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Kiel has to sit out, though, right? So he and Golic will not play (in games) together.
    You're absolutely right. Thanks for the clarification:

Kiel would have to sit out the 2013 season as a transfer and would become eligible at UC in 2014. Cincinnati will lose its top two quarterbacks, seniors Brendon Kay and Munchie Legaux, following the 2013 season
    Any work with Gunner Kiel will be limited to the practice field

Turn Off Ads?