Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Ondrusek to the Tigers?

Re: Trade Ondrusek to the Tigers?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Drives me nuts when people talk platoon splits like they're a given based on simple handedness instead of looking at the actual track record of performance.

If what you want is a guy you can use to get lefties out, Arredondo is better for that task than Parra. But by Dusty's typical thinking, I imagine he's already penciled Arredondo in as his "7th inning guy" or something like that, which therefore takes him out of consideration for the "guy who gets lefties out" role...

Speaking of things that drive people nuts, and without focusing on this particular post, it seems to me some people like to downplay lefty/righty handedness because it is an "old school" concept and therefore MUST be wrong.

In fact, virtually every modern piece of baseball analysis I've seen concedes that lefty pitchers are tougher on lefty hitters generally. That said, this is obviously only one factor. There are others, including the nature of the pitches, the type of swing, certainly other factors that make a pitcher tougher on particular hitters.

And I'll go even further with it. Sometimes a player seems to defy these concepts -- only eventually to fall into line. Ryan Ludwick is an example. He's known as a righty who hits righties. But recently he has been better against lefties, reverting to the typical form.

Even the great hitter Joey Votto has done better against righties of late as I recall, although in 2010 (without checking) he was just incredible against lefties.

In Parra's case, I just assume the Reds have viewed him and now that he has moved to the bullpen think he will be tough on lefties. As a reliever, rather than a starter.

I fully expect that they signed Parra intending to keep him, that they like the additional lefty in the pen, and will keep him. Which is another reason I expect Jose to depart.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-06-2013 at 03:34 PM.

2. Likes:

mth123 (03-06-2013), westofyou (03-06-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Drives me nuts when people talk platoon splits like they're a given based on simple handedness instead of looking at the actual track record of performance.

If what you want is a guy you can use to get lefties out, Arredondo is better for that task than Parra. But by Dusty's typical thinking, I imagine he's already penciled Arredondo in as his "7th inning guy" or something like that, which therefore takes him out of consideration for the "guy who gets lefties out" role...

My biggest complaint about Dusty in general has been his style of management by archetype, especially in lineup construction and bullpen use. He likes to define narrow roles he wants to fill and assign guys to those specific roles, rather than building the most talented team and then putting guys in the roles where you can get the most out of them. You need some process of back-checking to make sure you've covered certain situations, but creating those narrow categories really limits you.

Between Arredondo and Marshall, this bullpen is already equipped to get through a tough stretch of lefties in the innings -- even if that means, on occasion, using Marshall in the 7th and then having to use somebody else to set up that night.
    Dusty isn't "building the team," he is doing exactly what you say he's not--taking what he has, defining certain roles that he has filled, then trying to find the best fit when he doesn't have an optimal person for a needed role. The leadoff hitter for the last few years is an example. He tried various options, trying to keep guys who fit roles in their roles, then backfilling with what he thought was the best option of the talent available. Then WJ went and got him a leadoff man this year, but left a bit of a hole defensively in CF. So that leaves Dusty to fit someone to improve the D when that is most critical. Heisey to CF, Choo to LF, and Ludwick sits for the defensive replacement move seems to make a lot of sense.

Last year, Dusty tried Marshall as closer, using the best fit he thought he had at the time. He wasn't happy with the results, so he gives Chapman an audition, and the rest is history. Now, he has made it clear that he feels most comfortable with Chapman closing, but the team builders have overruled and he gets the audition for starter.

As I think out loud here, what happens vs. what you say is happening really doesn't add up.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I see some of the thinkers showed up to offset the stinkers.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Turn Off Ads?