Turn Off Ads?

Thread: buying tix outsde the stadium...

buying tix outsde the stadium...

A) is it legal in Ohio; B) is it commonplace at Reds games?? (opening day)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: buying tix outsde the stadium...

A. As long as it is not on the stadium property
    B. Yes.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

A) Also, I believe it is only legal if you purchase the tickets from a licensed ticket "peddler"...

"While there are no laws in Columbus that address the scalping issue directly, the laws of another city, Cincinnati, for example, are very different. Cincinnati’s Code of Ordinances § 840, the “Street Ticket Sales” section, straightforwardly addresses the issue of scalping. In fact, section 840-3, mandates that it is illegal to sell a ticket for more than face value unless you’ve obtained a ticket-sales license from the city treasurer. This section of the Cincinnati code was passed in March of 2001. Prior to the codification of the Street Ticket Sales section, scalpers in Cincinnati were subject to harassment from police even though there was no specific statute making scalping illegal. A 1999 case shed some light on why scalpers were being prosecuted"

Taken from http://www.hastielegal.com/ohio-ticket-scalping/

Oh, so you don't mean at the kiosks....
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Technically it's not legal. That's why scalpers carry signs that say "NEED TICKETS". It basically means "I have tickets to sell you".

I've never heard of any cops caring about it though, and after you park there are many opportunities to buy tickets on the walk to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Technically it's not legal. That's why scalpers carry signs that say "NEED TICKETS". It basically means "I have tickets to sell you".

I've never heard of any cops caring about it though, and after you park there are many opportunities to buy tickets on the walk to the park.
    Wow I always thought it was legal in Cincinnati. I have bought tix several times on the street BUT would probably never do it again because of StubHub. I love StubHub and especially love it since there has been so many reports of fake tickets sold outside. You have to wonder how a ticket broker who buys on the street to resell can even be sure what is legit. 10 years ago when I bought on the street, it was harder to print a ticket then it is today by just pressing print on your computer.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

It was my understanding that it is legal to buy tickets from anyone anywhere. It is legal to sell tickets anywhere except on stadium property, but to sell on the streets of Cincinnati you must buy a license first unless you sell them for less than face value. You can sell Reds tickets without a license at any price if you do so outside the downtown Cincinnati area. I could be wrong.

I think they are deliberately vague about the law because they want to discourage ticket scalping. They want people to think it is illegal when in reality it is legal as long as you get a license and/or sell the tickets for less than face value.

I am not an expert on the law so don't sue me if you get busted.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-06-2013 at 05:46 PM.

It is different depending on the city. In Cincinnati if you have a license you can scalp and I have had nothing but good experiences but I have found the same guy for about 8 years and do business with him whenever I scalp. I have scalped once in Cleveland also and you would have thought it was a major drug deal going down. The guy was very careful about it. I'm guessing Cleveland is much harder on scalping than Cincinnati.

With the electronic scans on tickets, I wouldn't buy tickets on the street unless I knew the scalper. If you buy fakes, you are stuck.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    With the electronic scans on tickets, I wouldn't buy tickets on the street unless I knew the scalper. If you buy fakes, you are stuck.
    I've been buying tickets from scalpers for well over a decade and I've never once had this happen to me. I do understand the concern though. As for a ticket exchange sub forum? I'd be all for that. I know it would take more than me to get the added to the forum but I would for sure use it and with all the reds fans who frequent this forum who are not from Cincinnati I think it would be a good way for them to have another way to get tckets.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

Bought tickets a couple of years ago. I walk toward the park a little bit, and actually look at the ticket: was for some concert at US Bank. Guess he assumed that's where we were headed since we were dressed up from a previous engagement and wearing no Reds gear. I was able to track down another scalper who took care of us and swapped the tickets. The raw fury I had during that five minute interim was so embarrassing, those guys weren't out to cheat me.

Turn Off Ads?