Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto adds a cutter to his repertoire

Cueto adds a cutter to his repertoire

From Hal McCoy. Interesting.

SALT RIVER AT TALKING STICK, Ariz. — Adam Eaton, Arizona’s leadoff batter Monday against the Cincinnati Reds saw something he’d never seen when Johnny Cueto threw him a mysterious-looking pitch.

Eaton jerked his head up after the ball whistled by, looked at Cueto and said, “Nice pitch. Nice cutter, man.”

A cutter? It’s a pitch Cueto has worked on since last mid-season, but hasn’t used much in games. He is about to spring it on National League hitters this year and Eaton received a prelude and gave it five stars.

“Not only is it a good cutter, he throws it hard,” said former Reds pitching star Mario Soto, who witnessed it first hand Monday. “He’s very happy with it. It is working real well and it gives him another pitch in his repertoire.”
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...new_path.html/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cueto adds a cutter to his repertoire

sweet.

He's had this for a few years...here's an article from Baseball Prospectus (Free):
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19576

The 2010 season was a pivotal one for Cueto, as he added a cutter and started to move some of his rate stats (GB%, ERA/FRA) in the right direction, and 2011 was the flashpoint.
    Although Cueto’s cutter usage has declined, the pitch continues to factor into his approach as the number-six option. Since it has been documented by PITCHf/x in each of the last few seasons, and was first used after the system was introduced in 2008, we can be certain that it is not simply a collection of mis-categorized fastballs and sliders.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    He's had this for a few years...here's an article from Baseball Prospectus (Free):
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=19576
    That's what I thought. I've seen a pitch around 90-92 that cuts really late, and I've seen it since the beginning of last year.

^ I recall reading that he's had a cutter for a while as well. I don't remember seeing much of it last year though. Utilizing a cut fastball against lefties could potentially be a great tool for him.

The last time I tried to throw a cut fastball to Adam Eaton, he banged 3b, line drive off the left field fence. He's a scrappy ball player, with a lot of raw talent. Now, if only he could grow a few inches taller...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

IMO, the word "repertoire" is an exception to the general rule that real guys shouldn't say any words that sound french.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    IMO, the word "repertoire" is an exception to the general rule that real guys shouldn't say any words that sound french.
    I thought it was de rigueur to use such words when they were apropos. But I guess one needs je ne sais qua to use those in one's vocabulary.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Begs the question--how many times has rook Adam Eaton seen Cueto to note a "new pitch?"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I have always preferred "arsenal".

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    That's what I thought. I've seen a pitch around 90-92 that cuts really late, and I've seen it since the beginning of last year.
    Maybe he added an "intentional" cutter this year? I was thinking the same thing. Seems like I've definitely seen him throw something like a cutter the past year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Maybe he added an "intentional" cutter this year? I was thinking the same thing. Seems like I've definitely seen him throw something like a cutter the past year or so.
    BP seems insistent that the in 2010 he was definitely throwing them and not by accident. I don't know though...but I've certainly seen them.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    BP seems insistent that the in 2010 he was definitely throwing them and not by accident. I don't know though...but I've certainly seen them.
    Over the last couple years I've seen less and less four-seamers from Cueto. Almost every fastball he throws is moving. Mostly two-seamers, but Ive seen him use the cutter to jam lefties pretty many times. It's certainly not a new pitch, I think it's just becoming a more usable pitch for him.

Just stay healthy Big Man, the rest will take care of itself.

15. Likes:

SirFelixCat (03-07-2013)

The Peanut Buster Parfait scoffs at this.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Isn't this pretty old news?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?