Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Corcino following in footsteps of mentor Cueto

Corcino following in footsteps of mentor Cueto

Little piece from Mark Sheldon on Daniel Corcino:

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Reds pitching prospect Daniel Corcino has often drawn comparisons to a younger Johnny Cueto. Corcino -- who is Dominican, like Cueto -- doesn't mind because he considers the Reds' ace one of his mentors.

"I watch how he pitches, and always, he's teaching me what to do," Corcino said. "He said when you're young that you need to learn from a veteran guy. He taught me how to pitch in [different] counts. He said it's different in the Minor Leagues when they'll swing at any pitch. Up there, you have to focus so much with every pitch you throw."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...k_cin&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Corcino following in footsteps of mentor Cueto

Good article. Corcino is going to be interesting to follow this year.

A little bit about Mez too. Interesting that Dusty said they lacked offense from their catchers.. IMO, the Reds did pretty well offensively from the catching group.. I guess Baker has higher expecations (Nothing wrong with that).

When asked if he would have kept Mesoraco in Triple-A when camp broke last season if he could have a do-over, Baker defended the decision to keep him in the Majors.

"We were told that Devin was ready by our people that saw him," Baker said. "It's easy to say after the fact you'd do it [differently]. It's the easiest thing in the world to say. We won 97 games even though Devin struggled, which is pretty good. We lacked overall offensive output from our catchers, which we had gotten accustomed to with Ramon [Hernandez] and Hanigan
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

4. Likes:

Red Raindog (03-07-2013)

Re: Corcino following in footsteps of mentor Cueto

I think he meant catchers collectively and wasn't discounting what Hanigan did. Ramon was clearly a much better hitter than Mez, hense making the tandem more productive overall.

Turn Off Ads?