Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Ondrusek to the Tigers?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Trade Ondrusek to the Tigers?

There are no rumors about Ondrusek. But most of the stories on MLBTR are regarding the Tigers inquiring with teams about a closer.

The story goes that rookie Bruce Rondon, who the Tigers were prepared to go with as Closer, is having mechanical problems. The Tigers let last year's Closer, Jose Valverde, walk. And have no intention of bringing him back. Manager Jim Leyland is quoted as saying the following, ""...[T]here is no question that it makes it a hundred times better when you have a closer that is a closer -- and a good one -- because it takes a lot of pressure off the manager."

The Tigers have inquired about Marmol, with the Cubs, and also with the Nationals who sign Soriano and have Tyler Clippard and Drew Storen as backup Closers.

So why not float the much maligned on Redszone, Logan Ondrusek, out there for trade? He closed alot late in his minor league career. I'm not sure what he would bring in return, but I'd consider it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Ondrusek to the Tigers?

If baseball was a Glengarry Glen Ross play, Ondrusek would never get any coffee... ever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

4. Likes:

bigfunguy (03-06-2013),bigredmechanism (03-05-2013),JB12 (03-06-2013),jhiller21 (03-06-2013),LaFlamaBlanca (03-06-2013),MBZags (03-06-2013),OGB (03-06-2013),RedsManRick (03-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Manager Jim Leyland is quoted as saying the following, ""...[T]here is no question that it makes it a hundred times better when you have a closer that is a closer -- and a good one -- because it takes a lot of pressure off the manager."
    Does Ondrusek fit this quote? Me thinks no, so, I doubt he's who they are looking for.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Trade our worst (big league) reliever to an AL team because they're looking for a closer? Sure, why wouldn't they for that!

7. Likes:

hebroncougar (03-06-2013),reds44 (03-06-2013),Tom Servo (03-06-2013)

189 big league games (2010, '11, '12) with a career 3.45 e.r.a., 174 IP, 155 hits allowed. Worst reliever? Hardly.

2009 exclusively at triple A. 19 saves, 56 games, 72 IP, 44 hits allowed, 1.50 e.r.a.

28 years old.

Phillies pursued him in the past.

Cheap. Which is why the Tigers aren't pursuing the two closers left on the market, Francisco Rodriguez and Valverde. They don't fit into their budget. Ondrusek under control until 2017. They already have their primary option in Rondon, but he's having problems. They're looking for other cheap options with atleast some experience.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

If the Tigers are to pursue someone to close, they would probably want someone who has more of a resume closing than Ondrusek. There are dozens of guys like Ondrusek out there who they could trade for to close if they were profiling him to be a closer.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    If the Tigers are to pursue someone to close, they would probably want someone who has more of a resume closing than Ondrusek. There are dozens of guys like Ondrusek out there who they could trade for to close if they were profiling him to be a closer.
    I think the key is "cheap". They could easily sign Valverde or F-Rod, but apparently have limited payroll options.

That is the main reason I brought up Ondrusek. He's cheap. Has 3 years of moderate success in the majors, contrary to what some might say. Was a Closer his last year in the minors.

I'm not saying he's a great option. But he's a cheap option with some experience.

I think the Tigers understand that Ondrusek is not a closer. He was sent down to AAA late last year. He didn't make the post season roster. I don't think he's a viable closer option.

The guy who might be more likely is Arredondo. If the Tigers think his late season swoon was temporary, I could see them taking a shot on him. But probably no. Tigers want a closer and even Jose doesn't quite fit the bill.

Of course, according to some on here, closers grow on trees and very good ones can regularly be picked up for nothing. So the Tigers should have one tomorrow, forty saves, at no cost.

This is not closer stuff

Code:
    TEAM          H/9   BR/9  SO/9  BB/9  SO/BB  
    TOTALS        7.99 12.31  6.13  4.07  1.51    
    LG AVERAGE    8.73 12.21  7.45  3.17  2.35
    If he could close for a championship team the Reds would not have gotten Broxton last season, nor signed him to an extension

Still missing the point. But good night.

I think its posible that some one like Ondrusek, Arredondo or Simon could go in a deal to Detroit (or some team looking for help in the pen), but would probably be to add a body to the middle innings while they promote Benoit, Dotel or Coke to the closer role. I don't see any team targeting any of them to be the closer. The benefit to the Reds would probbaly be moving a Million bucks or so off the payroll while making room for JJ Hoover. I don't see any talent coming the Reds way for any of those guys.

I heard an idea (not a rumor, just guys throwing names around) yesterday morning on MLB network where the Tigers would deal Rick Porcello to the Rockies for Rafael Bettencourt. I'd want more if I was the Tigers, but that makes a lot of sense if getting a proven closer is the objective. The Tigers seem ready to deal Porcello. The Rockies would benefit from adding a ground ball guy like Porcello to the rotation.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I never understand trade threads that presuppose the team we're trading with doesn't know just how mediocre a guy they're getting.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-06-2013),Homer Bailey (03-06-2013),OGB (03-06-2013),Tom Servo (03-06-2013)

Ondrusek for Castellanos, Asvail Garcia, and Adam Wilk seems like a fair deal. Castellanos is only on his 5th Baseball America top 100 and hasn't even had an OPS north of 700 above A+ ball. Garcia is not even their top ranked prospect (only #2) so what does that tell you. And Wilk isn't even over 7' so I don't think he could be a bright prospect. The Tigers could through in Verlander instead of Wilk but he isn't under team control for as long and really seems to want big $ for some reason plus SP isn't really a need at this point for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I never understand trade threads that presuppose the team we're trading with doesn't know just how mediocre a guy they're getting.
    I agree with your main point, but Ondrusek mediocre? Surely you jest!

I hate to pick on Logan but too many people seem to look at his ERA and draw a conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think its posible that some one like Ondrusek, Arredondo or Simon could go in a deal to Detroit (or some team looking for help in the pen), but would probably be to add a body to the middle innings while they promote Benoit, Dotel or Coke to the closer role. I don't see any team targeting any of them to be the closer. The benefit to the Reds would probbaly be moving a Million bucks or so off the payroll while making room for JJ Hoover. I don't see any talent coming the Reds way for any of those guys.

I heard an idea (not a rumor, just guys throwing names around) yesterday morning on MLB network where the Tigers would deal Rick Porcello to the Rockies for Rafael Bettencourt. I'd want more if I was the Tigers, but that makes a lot of sense if getting a proven closer is the objective. The Tigers seem ready to deal Porcello. The Rockies would benefit from adding a ground ball guy like Porcello to the rotation.
    I was in the middle of a serious discussion with my 18 year old daughter last night and didn't get to post my other comment.

I read on another board, not sure where now, that the Tigers are looking to upgrade their bullpen on the cheap, not necessarily a Closer. MLBTR was saying it was a Closer. Other sites have it just upgrading the bullpen. Closer or bullpen, I think Ondrusek fits the bill of upgrading their bullpen with experience on the cheap.

I like posters who think outside the box or go out on a limb with trade proposals. That's why I like Benihana. He really puts it out there. It's harder to be a thinker than to be a stinker. LOL. An old saying. In other words, it's easy to poo-poo everything that comes along, instead of coming up with ideas.

Turn Off Ads?