Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Votto to Play in WBC

Votto to Play in WBC

A good sign that he is 100%. Makes me want to watch the WBC now.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ay-in-the-wbc/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto to Play in WBC

Learning that Votto is playing in the WBC got my interest a bit and I decided to check out the teams...surprised to see a guy 7'1" playing for the Kingdom of the Netherlands...Angel's prospect Loek Van Mill http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?p...=2&season=2013
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Learning that Votto is playing in the WBC got my interest a bit and I decided to check out the teams...surprised to see a guy 7'1" playing for the Kingdom of the Netherlands...Angel's prospect Loek Van Mill http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?p...=2&season=2013
    Van Mil actually signed with the Reds this offseason, so he is in our organization.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Article on Votto from the Cincinnati Enquirer. What a smart guy, he's got to be one of the most intelligent players in the game.

Votto sees the game as a process. His intellect and skills, versus the immutable constants of the game. He takes his time fixing his flaws. It’s part of his meticulous nature. “I’m a big-picture worker. I have a couple things I want to fix now, base running and defensively. I expect to fix those over months, maybe years,’’ he says.

He realizes he has the time, both to focus and tinker, that other players, either struggling or on the cusp, do not. “Since the day I was drafted, I’ve always had the luxury of knowing I was going to get a pass,’’ Votto explains. “Give me $600,000 out of high school, I get to make mistakes for several years. If I have a good year, it buys me another couple years. Now, I can do whatever I want. My spot’s going to be available every day.’’
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ball-questions

6. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A good sign that he is 100%. Makes me want to watch the WBC now.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ay-in-the-wbc/

Gotta agree. As much as it might worry me to have Joey play in the WBC, it is a better sign that he feels he can safely do so.

For a position player there is much less to worry about than for a pitcher who in the heat of competition might try to extend himself before he is ready. For the first three games Joey has only to go across town to Scottsdale for three games through the weekend.

9. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-04-2013),Chip R (03-04-2013)

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I'm glad he's feeling healthy enough to participate and I hope things go well with him there. Team Canada lost really early in the WBC last time so I'm sure a lot of those guys remember that and want to do better this time!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I actually like having position players participate because the risk is much lower and really could happen in ST Games. They get to see a more "live" arm as well.

I might be completely off in my judgement of the issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Here's Loek next to his former teammates Chris Cates. They had great photo ops when they used to play together.
    http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/vanmilandcates.jpg

I'm 100% behind this move.

I'm going to spring training starting on Saturday...weird question, will Joey continue to practice with the Reds in the mornings or will he be with Team Canada all day?

I think this obviously signals he plans to be a Blue Jay in 2024.

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (03-08-2013),kbrake (03-05-2013)

I was looking at the MLBTV schedule for the next few days and saw that the Reds were scheduled to play Canada later this week. I assume Votto will play for Canada. That's going to be really weird if so.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Votto said he won't be playing in the Reds vs. Canada game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Votto said he won't be playing in the Reds vs. Canada game.
    Probably afraid Chapman will come up and in on him.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?