Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Just announced that Furcal will be having Tommy John surgery and is out for year. Who replaces him, Kozma?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One of the greatest IF arms ever when he was a young player. IMO only Shawon Dunston had a better arm at SS.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Re: Rafael Furcal - Out for Season

Im sure Carp will try to blame this on the Reds!!!

Although he only played briefly in the majors, Jerry Gil could rocket that ball to first.

6. Likes:

camisadelgolf (03-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsRock View Post
    Just announced that Furcal will be having Tommy John surgery and is out for year. Who replaces him, Kozma?
    Wow. When did they find the tear? Just a few days ago I saw where they said an MRI showed inflammation but no tear

Wow, sucks for the Cardinals. They did pick up Ronny Cedeño though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Wow. When did they find the tear? Just a few days ago I saw where they said an MRI showed inflammation but no tear
    Jay Jaffe, on CNNSI, saw it coming.

Fast forward a week, and Furcal has been shut down due to a significant setback; an exam revealed that he’s dealing with inflammation around a Grade 2 tear of his UCL. He’s now headed to visit Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion — a 10-word phrase that usually suggests impending doom.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Isn't that a typical scenario with the Card's medical staff?

(1) Diagnose a player near the middle to end of a season with an injury.

(2) Prescribe rest becuse surgery not required.

(3) Presribe season ending surgery in spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

If it was the Reds folks would be clamoring for Doc K to be led to the gallows... oh wait, never mind.

That has happened.

12. Likes:

Cursh14 (03-07-2013),JB12 (03-07-2013),Tom Servo (03-07-2013),TRF (03-07-2013)

going to make him an even more dangerous drunk driver with only one arm...

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    If it was the Reds folks would be clamoring for Doc K to be led to the gallows... oh wait, never mind.

That has happened.
    Wow
    I missed Doc K's execution.

Anyone get it on video
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

Exactly. This has been the modus operandi for this origination for years. Cardinals fan have called this idea "Mark Mulder road". Most Cardinals fans, including me, knew Furcal was going to be out for a long time. The Cardinals organization seemed to keep it's head in the sand on the issue and not address the SS position in a legit way in the off season. It was frustrating at first to see this process with the Cardinals but after a while, you get used to the pie in the sky hope instead of any logical course of medical procedures for players.

That said, even if Furcal was healthy, the way he played down the stretch and what was probably expected from him wasn't something that was going to put the Cardinals over the top. I think they can get close to reasonable production that Furcal would have given the Cardinals with in house options.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they move some of their prime chips towards the trade deadline to solidify the SS position long term.

Taveras for Elvis Andrus

Who blinks?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Taveras for Elvis Andrus

Who blinks?
    Taveras is untouchable at this point. There is no chance, unless Mo is dumber than a box of rocks, where he trades the best hitting prospect in the minors who projects to be a high impact middle of the order, All Star quality bat whom the Cards control for a lot of years for a SS whose a Scott Boras client that's going to be a free agent in 2015. I love Andrus but the lack of cost control makes me stay away from giving up too many prime chips for him.

EDIT: The way Taveras is playing right now (arguably the best hitter for the Cardinals in Spring Training), the only way he won't break with the big team after Spring Training is if they wait a month to bring him up so some sort of contractual thing doesn't kick in. I'm clueless when it comes to minor league contracts but there's something in which a players options don't kick in if you wait for a month or two vs. if you bring him up now. I think it's all asinine because he can help the team right now but again I'm not paying the bills.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 03-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Although he only played briefly in the majors, Jerry Gil could rocket that ball to first.
    So could Janish but most Reds fans I'm assuming have blocked him from their memories. When he let it loose it was a cannon.

Turn Off Ads?